NGD - more JS Moore pickups to order!

gtone

Reaction score
New to me '08 Firebird V with the overly hot and incoherent stock ceramic magnet FB pickups. Order off to my old buddy JS Moore (www.tonefordays.com) to try some of his alnico V FB pickups.

Jon hasn't steered me wrong yet, he guarantees his work (or rewinds free!) and is one of the most reasonably priced custom winders out there. What more could a guy ask for?...

firebird1_zpsb671aa47.jpg

gtone

Reaction score
Talked to Jon yesterday - pickups are underway right now. Can't wait to put these in the 'Bird and hear the transformation.

Tone report to follow when all work is done and I've had time to set them up and play 'em...

gtone

Reaction score
Got the Firebird pickups today! Neck came in at just a bit warmer than vintage 6.5 Kohms, bridge at 7.4 Kohms, Alnico V mags all around (2 in each pu unlike "regular" mini HB's with 1). Gotta get 'em loaded up with new RS control harness I just got in, but it's not gonna happen until after the Easter weekend, unfortunately. Will probably take another day or so to get them dialed in just right (maybe less - no pole pieces to adjust...).

gtone

Reaction score
Sch-wing - they sound GREAT!! Jimmy McCulloch in a set of pickups with a big helping of Johnny Winter to boot! Perfect vintage Firebird tones with a bit more heat on hand.

Words I'd use to describe them: Open, Clean, Clear, Responsive, Tight, Sharp, Present, Articulate, Chimey, Raw, Stinging, Middy, Fluid, Jangly, Quiet

Words I wouldn't use to describe them: Compressed, Round, Full, Bottom-heavy, Balanced, Muddy, Flubby, Farty, Spongy, Creamy, Brown-sounding, Microphonic or Noisy

All for now...

Latest posts