NGD: PRS SE P20 Parlor Acoustic Guitar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Steve D, Jun 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

Honestly I almost never play acoustic anymore. I have had the same old Japanese 1970s Epiphone acoustic I learned on back in the early '80s which I played the hell out of back in the day. But I haven't touched it in nearly 15 years. That corresponds to the time I got married, bought a house, and had a daughter all in the space of about two years. Just no time or space for guitar.

But I'm past all that and teaching my kid to play so I dug it out of the closet and the top had warped upwards at the bridge. I had forgotten to detension the strings for storage mostly because I hadn't expected it to be locked up for so long. The action was way high and my daughter thought it was too large for her to hold. So it was time for a new guitar to share between the two of us.

Looking for a smaller guitar I came across these new PRS SE P20 acoustics. Parlor size but the demos had very nice sound as far as I was concerned. And great looks with front and back binding, neck bending, and ebony fretboard. Comparable cost to the equivalent cheap small Taylor Mini so I decided to get the PRS mostly because my daughter liked the birds. Whatever makes her want to practice is good with me! The best news is it's a goldliocks sized guitar for her: just right.

She wanted a natural mahogany top but they sent me the wrong one, black satin with natural mahogany back and sides. I preferred this but she was pretty specific that she wanted the natural one. Well, she decided after seeing it that she was okay with black because it looks very cool so I don't have to send it back. So now it's min... I mean ours.

Having fun actually playing acoustic again for a change! This thing is well made, frets are perfect, no flaws that I can spot. And sounds very nice, less of a big booming sound than I had before but I'm playing it in my music room and living room, it's plenty loud for my needs. And tonally it's very nice, rich sound which settles into the mids range. Really good guitar!

[​IMG]

2. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Very nice!

I dont have any acoustics but this would be a factor if i was looking!

Steve D likes this.
  3. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

wow, I am really digging that. Probably won’t be digging the price though, what do they come in at?

Steve D likes this.
  4. Steve D

They list at $499 for the base one, something like $599 with a piezo pickup built in. They are brand new to the market and nobody has them on sale and there are no used ones but for the hell of it I threw out on offer to one listed online and they accepted it. Not sure if that means they aren't moving or if I just got lucky. Whatever, the Taylor Mini is in the $400-500 range so it's comparable to the other big name (bigger name for acoustics, really). But the Taylor doesn't have the binding all around or the ebony, both of which I dig.

pancake81 likes this.
  5. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Very nice small jumbo acoustic guitar, I like it .

Steve D likes this.
  6. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

That’s US I take it? So $1,000 this side of the border

7. Steve D

Yes, $499 US. They priced it to match the Taylor Mini GS and there's a small Martin around the same price, plus Breedlove and Yamaha models in that price ballpark so they priced it to be competitive. There are some cheaper parlor guitars by Tone King and the like more in the $200 range and reviews on them typically say 'sound great once you set it up, corners were cut'. since this is going to be the household's only acoustic it was worth it to me to spend some more and get one we'd be happy with out of the box, especially when I got a price cut.