NGD: Samick Artist Series SG-450

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by PermissionToLand, Nov 13, 2013.

1. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

So after buying an Artist Series SAN-450 and discovering the incredible quality of the Artist Series, I knew I had to get their SG copy. I'd wanted one for a while, but the only ones for sale were white or black, and I knew I'd seen them in a nice dark cherry before. Eventually, I happened upon this one on Ebay for $250. I couldn't pass it up. Here are the pics from the ad:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, when I got it, I was surprised to find it buzzed all over the neck. I tried adjusting everything I could, but to no avail. Also, the bridge was definitely not stock, with peeling paint and cheap plastic saddles, one of which was broken.

So the first thing I did was buy a new nut, thinking this would fix the buzzing. It didn't, but hey, nothing wrong with a new nut, and now it matches the binding. Then, I bought a new bridge and some witch hats (to compliment the late '60s style dark cherry finish). Finally, I gave in and had it looked at by a local luthier and when I picked it up, he was gushing over it. He said the first thing he noticed was the quality and linearity of the truss rod, and then the real Gotoh tuners. He even said it was one of the best playing SGs he'd had in there all year, including Gibbys. :dude:

So now that I've got it back, I'm loving it. Just recently, I installed a new switch and Switchcraft output jack. I've gotten the action very low, making it perfect for fast riffing and solos. I've even been neglecting the Gibby a bit. But that's good because it will be my main gigging axe since I don't want to risk getting the Gibby stolen or damaged. Anyway here are the after pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If I get the chance, I'll upload a vid because it sounds as good as it looks.

2. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy Well-Known Member

Looks just great.

3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Nice axe. Many Epi's were made at the Samick plant.
    Biddlin ;>)/

4. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Samick is the largest guitar manufacturer in the world if I am not mistaken.

Nice guitar. Enjoy it.

5. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I thought so...nice instruments.

6. peskypesky

peskypesky Active Member

looks AWESOME!

7. weemac

weemac Active Member

I have the same guitar but it is the Epiphone version. It's a mess right now but I hope it scrubs up fine...

Eden.

8. PermissionToLand

9. PermissionToLand

double post

10. Strattarts

Strattarts New Member

Just put a '99 Samick Artist Series SG on layaway at a pawn shop. $99.00!
    Man, I have always liked Samick guitars and just stumbled on this one.
    Started playing it and it played like butter. I mean so great. I plugged it into
    a couple of amps they had there and it sounded really good too. The neck pickup
    is huuuge sounding, or at least it was through the little Crate practice amp. It was overdriving the speaker a little on the clean setting the pickup is so powerful. Maybe too powerful. It sounded so rich, though. Guitar is in Great condition. I have a Washburn HB30 (es335 copy) which I also LOVE, and the neck is so similar to the SG it's amazing. The SG neck is wider, but feels so much the same. Same year, coincidentally, and also Samick made. Anyway...Can't WAIT to get it out. It's light weight, but I've read reviews here that they are resonant. I'm not sure if mine (soon to be) has the beveled edges on it. Hmmm.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  11. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

Damn that's a sweet deal!!!!

12. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Gorgeous absolutely gorgeous. Congrats!

13. warmachine

warmachine Member

Sweet buy!

Whatever was behind the string buzzing problem?

14. Allen

Allen New Member

samick_sg450.jpg

Happened upon an SG-450 at a pawn shop for $99. At first it didn't look like it was worth even that much, hadn't seen a cleaning in what looked like years but after a few minutes of scrubbing an absolutely beautiful guitar was under all that grime. Wasn't really looking for a new guitar and I didn't know anything about Samick at the time but I couldn't pass it up for that price so I got it. Glad I did, what a @#$@$# nice playing guitar, I couldn't believe it. Only thing is I am getting the string buzz occasionally and I don't dare start adjusting it. Any updates on what the problem is and does anyone know what pickups are in it? I think they are fine the way there are, no reason to change them, just curious as to what they are.

eS.G., syscokid and PermissionToLand like this.
  15. PermissionToLand

Congrats on the buy, that's a great deal! Looks like a nice dark Wine Red.

Well, I ended up selling that one and buying a '97 that was practically brand new. I never entirely solved the 7th fret buzz to my liking, but I think I was being overly picky, as I took it to multiple techs who thought it was fine. As for yours, it depends where on the neck it's buzzing. The fretwork should be pretty good so you should be able to get the neck pretty straight (if you're not familiar with truss rod adjustment, take it to a tech).

I actually took a peek under the PUP covers when I installed my T-Top replica in the '97, this is what I found:

Bridge:
    [​IMG]

Neck:

[​IMG]

Interesting to see such different construction between two pickups on the same guitar. But from my experience, they all sound like medium-hot (around 8K) Ceramic pickups.

They're certainly better than what Epiphone was using back then, and I still have the original in the neck on mine, although I'm debating replacing it.

FYI, the tuners are unbranded Gotohs, great quality pieces.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  16. Allen

Allen New Member

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I'm going to put new strings on it this weekend and attempt to adjust it, maybe that will get rid of the buzz. I am definitely leaving the pups for now, no reason to change them, I like the tones. My other guitar is an Ibanez RG370DX and I think between these two guitars I've got it covered for now. One thing I can say about the neck on the Samick...amazing, never thought I would like something other than the Wizard on my Ibby but I really enjoy playing the Samick. Other than the high end Gibson SGs I've tried the Samick is by far the easiest and most comfortable to play. Again, thanks for the info and I'll be on the lookout for more of these.

17. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

That's a very nice deal. Especially if it's a decent performer and looker... :cheers:

18. PermissionToLand

Remember to start by loosening it, just to avoid damage in case it's already very tight. Nut and bridge height can also be a factor. Press down on the second fret and the strings should just barely clear the first fret going to the nut. Also, make sure the buzz isn't coming from the bridge.

The necks on mine were both unique. The first was thicker at the far end, making cowboy chords more comfortable. My current one is very thin all over but I'm getting used to it (I prefer medium-thick necks).

My father bought an Ibanez Artist and it's a fantastic guitar, came set up perfectly, straight from the factory! Very unlike most Ibby's, it's got a chunky neck, which I like.

19. fahad187

fahad187 Active Member

i went to a trip to KSA two days ago and while walking in a mall i saw a black sg hanging i went inside and it was a samick funny enough that i saw this post earlier that day

but i got into an argument with the seller and never got to try it :rofl: he is selling it for 400$ i dont know if its worth that much and if im going to that shop again

20. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Git em fahad!!! Open a can a WAR PIGS on him!!!!