NGD SG Diablo

chicagoslim

Reaction score
My first guitar was an early '60's SG Jr. I'm back in the fold with a 2012, Diablo Premium Plus. I really like the sound of the Brustbucker Pro's, espcially the neck pickup. It's different from any of my other guitars. I with that I had this guitar, back when I was doing studio work.

411792818.jpg

411792821.jpg

Col Mustard

Reaction score
THOU SHALT NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOR'S DIABLO...
sorry, i must have a beamer in my eye.
what a lovely SG that is. I get so tired of all the red ones.
I belong to the 'anything but red" club. And I like this devil.

Delboy

Reaction score
Is that definitely a Diablo? Looks like one of those ltd carved tops they ran in Autumn burst?

chicagoslim

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I had a guitar for sale on CL. No one had money, but I got some interesting offers. When I saw this, I didn't know what it was, or what it was worth. But I liked it.

Delboy, it was a single run model, that they also made in amber (Iced Tea) and blue (Manhattan Midnight), with a AAA maple top (link below). There was another Diablo that was red, with gold hardware. I have enough trouble keeping nickle looking shiny. I'm mainly a plain, all mahogany, guitar guy.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Diablo-Premium-Plus.aspx

Last edited:

syscokid

Reaction score
Is that definitely a Diablo? Looks like one of those ltd carved tops they ran in Autumn burst?
I think that's a real one, in Trans Black. The flash lighting is bringing out the natural color of the Mahogany.

Edit: OP kind of beat me to the punch while I was trying to compose my reply.

SGspecial

Reaction score
Hey Slim,

Welcome to the forum and welcome to BGKY. I love that SG. I'm guessing you can get Les Paul type tones with it and still have the upper fret access? Does the heavier body negate the possible neck dive you might get with the locking tuners?

Are you going to see Greg Martin next Friday night? Some of the best Gibson tones in the country for only ten bucks. How can you go wrong?

https://www.facebook.com/gregmartin...1277387013258/601319166675744/?type=3&theater

Just across the street from this place:

chicagoslim

Reaction score
The Diablo doesn't have that thick sound, that you get with a Les Paul. But, it doesn't sound as airy as an SG. I don't know if it's the 24 frets or pickups, but it really has a great, different neck pickup sound. I play rockabilly, modern praise and did studio work for a Nashville singer/song writer. I mainly play a PRS Starla or Standard 22, with Starla pickups. They sound more like an SG with TV Jones pickups, or a Gretsch Jet. I tend to play clean, 90% of the time, and the Diablo has a great clean sound.

It's not neck heavy, but it hangs different on a strap, compared to my other guitars. I tend to hold the neck a little higher. I feel like one of those guy's in a '60's film.

SGspecial - Thanks for the info on the local music scene. I moved to Bowling Green about 6 months ago. I'm just getting settled and I'm trying to find people to play guitar with. It seems hard to get people to commit to anything here.

411889934.jpg

Last edited:

Biddlin

Reaction score
Beauty! That is stone sexy, don't let this bunch of undertakers talk you into coverin' it up with a pickguard.

SG standard

Reaction score
That's a gorgeous maple top. Welcome to the Diablo club. :) I was looking for a Manhattan Midnight Diablo for ages, and finally picked one up a few weeks back:

SG_Diablo_2015_061.jpg

They certainly do have a distinctive tone, at least compared to my Standard with '57s. I'm beginning to think the latter is a bit more versatile but I'm certainly happy the Diablo has a voice of it's own. And a powerful voice at that. There's only one thing I don't love about it & that's the nibs, but I guess that's the norm on Gibson's bound fret boards, so I should just get used to it.

Latest posts