NGD SG featherweight!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Gibsunnyday, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Gibsunnyday

Gibsunnyday Active Member

Wow I just bought a used SG locally and was shocked at how light it was! Got it home and it weighs 5.5 pounds -how is that even possible? Even has the heavy grover tuners! Is this common or not? I've owned 5or6 SG's over the years but they all weighed alot more. Plus the guitar doesnt neck dive and it sounds and plays AWESOME!!!

2. Gibsunnyday

Got it last night at a killer price, guy shows up at the meeting place with the guitar in a Gator ATA hard case, then goes back to his SUV and puts the original shipping box in my car! I get home and inside the box is the brown gibson case and in the case pocket is ALL the case candy -even the friggin picture!!!

fos1 likes this.
  3. Gibsunnyday

Also the invoice in the box showing that he purchased the guitar new from Guitar Center January 4 2021 WTF!!!! Guitar is in mint unplayed condition BTW

4. Gibsunnyday

Thats my Custom Lake Placid Blue Fender FSR American Pro that weighs in at 8.2 pounds for comparison

Attached Files:

5. Gibsunnyday

And finally these pics -all this for 900 beans! That was his asking price BTW

Attached Files:

6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Happy new SG day!

Gibsunnyday likes this.
  7. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Looks gorgeous! Congratulations. 5.5 pounds is really lightweight...can't believe that it does not neck dive with these tuners. :shock:

And by the way: I think you should not upload that delivery note with the buyers name and address here...

8. Gibsunnyday

Yea sorry that was pretty dumb, I will photoshop it and re upload

Worblehat likes this.
  9. RW59

RW59 Member

Amazing deal!

Mahogany has a really wide range of weight/density. Most SG's are around 6.5~7 lbs, but my '60s Tribute is a whopping 8.7 lbs (and oddly it's just a touch neck heavy).

5.5 and balanced isn't unheard of, but it's rare and pretty much the lightest possible.

No Talent and PermissionToLand like this.
  10. Gibsunnyday

Feels like its made of Balsa wood

11. No Talent

No Talent New Member

2020 - 2021 SG Standard for $900 in that condition is a steal these days. Even at a discount they sell for around $1200 - $1300 new in these parts and you got an extra hard case. As others have already mentioned if the scale is accurate 5.5 lbs. is ridiculously light for the model of SG.

Very nice guitar and deal!

12. madhermit

madhermit Member

Very nice score!

5.5 lbs is really light. That sucker might float away!
    My 2018 Standard is 6.6 lbs which is my lightest solid body guitar.

Enjoy it! :dude:

13. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

You' re lucky, good deal and nice SG Std fullface pickguard, congrats !

14. JackStraw

JackStraw New Member

Sweet score!!

15. alex1fly

alex1fly Member

Mine is 6.5 lbs. 5.5 lbs must feel like a toy, lol. Congrats bud!

The plus side of such a light weight is that you can throw some extra weight in the control cavity to balance out the axe

16. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

Those feather weights are really nice when you have a long show ahead of you. Most gigs I have played consisted of 4 sets at 45-50 minutes each with a 10 to 15 minute break to piss and grab a fresh beverage. A 9.5 or 10 pound guitar will wear your butt out if that is all you have. I usually take at least one feather weight with me so I have the option to switch off. I don't precisely know what my SG weighs, but she's a featherweight for sure. It was a revelation when I took it to a gig for the first time. Fatigue was reduced dramatically even though I only used it about 1/3 of the time. The longest gig I ever did was an outdoor biker rally, we owned the stage from 6:00pm to nearly 4:00am the next morning. I would not have survived that show if I had to use my Les Paul for the entire time. Even with the SG carrying a significant part of the night, my ass was dragging by the time we finally shut down the amps for good. Ahhh to be young again...

17. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan New Member

Good deal! Congrats! My 19 Standard is 6lbs. New ones (with soft case) are just over $1600 with tax… add the $200 hard case and you saved about 50%.

18. MR D

MR D Member

CONGRATULATIONS NGD's are always great.YIP YIP YIPPEE !!! HA HA HA!
    Yes, that is light.Seems to be the way it is with SG Modern series recently..BUT I BET IT SOUNDS GREAT !
    I just got a 2020 Standard and it weighs a hair under 6 Lbs. , slightest of neck dive, BUT not a dive-bomber. Suede backed strap straightened that out...
    Question: is it a 2021 Model ? Mine isn't as the 1st and 5th number are 2 and 0, but it was stamped in Late December 2020. In years gone by, a Guitar stamped that late in the year, it would have been the next years model but, ayk, this Scam/Pan-demic has most production of things out of whack.GIBSON USA it seems is not an exception.
    One thing was the 490's, they had to go. A new SG Standard @ $900 is a great dealio these days, even got the picture too, NICE ONE, THATS ROCKIN!!!