NGD! SG G400 GASsing gets the better of me...

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
Thanks Raiyn, hadn't considered that... yet! - will be replacing the electronics in the '89 310 first...

All thoughts welcome :smile: there will be a dedicated thread for that one I think!

Will probably put that G400 set of pickups in for a start, and maybe 50's wiring with new pots and caps?

Possibly (eventually) look at getting some 4 wire humbuckers and push-pull pots and coil tap them?

Will keep all original stuff though, in case I ever have to sell it.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Thanks Raiyn, hadn't considered that... yet! - will be replacing the electronics in the '89 310 first...

All thoughts welcome :smile: there will be a dedicated thread for that one I think!

Will probably put that G400 set of pickups in for a start, and maybe 50's wiring with new pots and caps?

Possibly (eventually) look at getting some 4 wire humbuckers and push-pull pots and coil tap them?

Will keep all original stuff though, in case I ever have to sell it.
New pots & caps would be a good start. I'm not a believer in "Magic Tone Beans" so I won't steer you towards Paper In Oil (PIO) caps. I buy more into tight tolerances to stated value so low % variances are key in my book. Some Mallory 150 .022 uF 5% caps would be nice, but cheap. Different than the normal Orange Drops that are good, but common.

jtcnj

Reaction score
Congrats on a beauty, hope she plays as good as she looks.
IF you want to mod it now, go ahead.

But, you may just want to play it as is -with a good set up and pick up adjustments - then decide. I left mine bone stock after doing just that.

In fact, I ordered a Tusq XL nut ahead of time but the stock one is fine. I had that nut new in the package almost a year until I put in on another guitar I just got that NEEDED a better nut.

Biddlin

Reaction score
Hi all,

Title says it all really, after getting this comment on a recent post

I'd been looking at what's available (at a reasonable price of course :smile:) and spotted one of these...

View attachment 25234

It's a 2011 G400 limited edition in Silverburst, and was being sold with an Epiphone case too.

Well, I wanted a case for my '89 SG 310 anyway, so considering the asking price, I bought it :D figuring I could always flip it if and keep the case if I wasn't happy.

Have I bought a lemon? Or is it a good 1st G400? I just thought the finish was soooooo nice! and unusual too... Love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Bob
Nice and not cherry! Very cool.

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
Thanks folks, all info and congrats welcomed :smile:

Will start a new thread for the upgrade - and I agree with your thoughts on caps Raiyn, good tolerances are important. Not sure abut PIO caps either, but if they're not hugely expensive, I'm open to trying anything...

Going to make a jig for assembling the new electronics, so I can wire them outside the cavity, and drop the whole harness in in one go (apart from the pickup leads, obviously!)

I had been thinking about a way of switching between 2 or more caps for testing them for different tones, perhaps a multipole rotary switch in a small box to hold the various caps - compare the tones and install the best in the guitar.... Or maybe fit it all in to a guitar body.... :shock:

Whoa! :smile: I'm getting ahead of myself, one step at a time.

See you on the other thread for some electronic geekery :thumb:

Bob

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
Just pick up a few dif caps, & a set of alligator clips, unless you want to try your hand at a varitone set up

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
Varitone - that's the word I was thinking of, knew I'd heard of the principle somewhere! Thanks DPaulcustom :smile:

(Edit: wasn't there a BB King guitar with that on...? Or am I dreaming again?)

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
Varitone - that's the word I was thinking of, knew I'd heard of the principle somewhere! Thanks DPaulcustom :smile:

(Edit: wasn't there a BB King guitar with that on...? Or am I dreaming again?)
Yes, the BB Lucille.
Gibson, & Epi make a version. I believe Epi has a couple of other models with the varitone type pot, but don't quote me on that.

jvin248

Reaction score

Nice guitar!

For mods ... Play it factory fresh for a while. With your amps with your friends amps in the house out of the house. Figure out what you like and don't like before changing things. Too many people auto swap pickups because that seems to be the thing to do. Often the issues are in the controls not the pickups. Changing controls can push around the resonant frequencies of the system such that you don't need to change pickups.

Look up the Joe Walsh Gibson setup series of six videos on youtube. Do that first. Pay most attention to how he balances the pickups tone.

The Korean Epiphones have gained some fans for fantastic tone. I've collected some SGs and LPs and the good sounding ones when I peek in the controls all have 0.033uF caps. I've bought some higher voltage caps (dipped like orange drops but not orange) in 0.033uF and I find they add a little presence as if someone turned on the reverb in other guitars I put them in.

If you find your pickup(s) are too dark or too bright, you'll need to change the volume pots. Higher kohm goes brighter, lower kohm goes darker. Measure what pots you have in the guitar and swap the two volume pots or order some and measure them and put whichever bright/dark direction you want to change the neck/bridge pickup on that control. You can drop to 250k or go to 1Meg if you really need to move the tone. I have been using Bourns pots lately (Amazon/Ebay for around $6 each).

Excessively muddy pickups can be fixed with a series capacitor, like that 0.047uF you pulled off to put 0.033uF on the tone control, put the 0.047uF in series with the too-muddy pup and it will get cleaned up. It cuts the internal capacitance of the pickup, which has been an issue for Epi and SD pickups.

Switchcraft output jacks are nice, around $4 or so.

Use a fret rocker, or a credit card, to verify the frets are all level. Should be but worth a check.

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
Thanks Jvin, will be leaving it standard for a while at least, as I'll be upgrading my '89 310 first. Will use the knowledge gained there if the G400 needs anything doing.

I'm a bit of a tinkerer though, so it'll probably get the better of me eventually! :smile:

I started a new thread for the '89 310 upgrade, so will take your advice on board for that one first.

Raiyn

Reaction score
In fact, I ordered a Tusq XL nut ahead of time but the stock one is fine. I had that nut new in the package almost a year until I put in on another guitar I just got that NEEDED a better nut.
I'm gonna respectfully disagree there. The plastic nut they put in my G400 was garbage compared to the TUSQ XL that replaced it. It was playable sure, but D&G were generally annoying on the tuning front.

Found it... Bugger! It still works.

Err, I mean 'Oh good, I won't have to buy a new one'

(Grrrrrr! :mad:)
At least you're not starting over from scratch like I did! One thing I'll mention, try 63/37 solder instead of 60/40. Eutectic solder is so much nicer to work with.

Thanks Jvin, will be leaving it standard for a while at least, as I'll be upgrading my '89 310 first. Will use the knowledge gained there if the G400 needs anything doing.

I'm a bit of a tinkerer though, so it'll probably get the better of me eventually! :smile:

I started a new thread for the '89 310 upgrade, so will take your advice on board for that one first.
I'll pop over as soon as I catch up with the rest of the day's posts.

Latest posts