NGD - SG Tony Iommi Special

Ty89m

Reaction score
Hey all!

I had posted recently about intonation and locking tuners for my SG Modern - and had promised some photos once I got the setup finished. Well, as you can clearly see, this certainly isn't a Modern! I ended up trading it with my local shop for this new Tony Iommi Special!

While I liked my Modern, it felt just a tad TOO modern if that makes sense? While this is a fairly unique model, it still gives off a more SG-esque vibe. Beyond that, I much prefer the more vintage finish - as when I think SG, I think red or black ha! Had I already had this (or a Standard, Special etc) I'd have likely been happy to add the Modern to the collection, but I couldn't justify/afford to keep both as I just snagged a new PRS CU24 Wood Library as well, so guitar budget is shot for a bit (and more importantly, my wife would have given me a hard toss into the dog house had I kept both)

Anyway, so far so good! This is my first guitar with P-90's, so I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces :dude:

Thanks to the others on here who've posted feedback on this particular model, as it prompted me to go check this one out, and while I'm more of an Angus vs Iommi guy, I'm really diggin' it!

New SG.jpg

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
Welcome to the club. The Iommi is a beast!

Attachments

• IMG_0581 2.jpeg
    IMG_0581 2.jpeg
    642.5 KB · Views: 9

SGBreadfan

Reaction score
Congrats, I have one too…really phenomenal guitars, play in good health!

MR D

Reaction score
Congratulations! Gonna put the monkey on it ?

U kno, the 'Les G's w/the Maple Caps, I havent played one yet......

IDK if GIBSON put the Maple cap on because of neck dive-itis problems w/G-Farce Tuning System weighing down the Head-Stock like on the 2017 -2018 SG HP Models? I couldnt hang w/'17 SG HP I got...went straight to the floor, fast, if I took my hand off the neck, worst case I'd ever seen. Did the blueberry SG dive at all ?

mixedup

Reaction score
Beautiful! I’m a new member (former lurker) looking for a “regular” Special in Canada and there is basically no stock (no Iommi’s either from the look of it). So you were lucky!

Cheers from another Ducatisti!

dumpster chicken

Reaction score
Could someone please enlighten me,
what features make it an Iommi sg special? It looks like a stock sg special to me. Thank you.

skelt101

Reaction score
what features make it an Iommi sg special? It looks like a stock sg special to me. Thank you.
Compared to the current SG Special:
-Mother Of Pearl logo on the headstock, instead of silkscreen
-Grover Rotomatic tuners, instead of Gibson branded Kluson-style
-Solid black 1-ply truss rod cover, instead of 3-ply
-Rounded neck profile, instead of slim taper
-Strap button on the upper horn, instead of at the neck heel
-Metal covers on the P90 pickups with unique rings and more "vintage correct" spacing
-Badass-style adjustable bridge, instead of "lightning bolt" bridge
-Blank toggle switch ring
-Witch hat knobs, instead of top hat knobs
IMHO, the main attraction of the Iommi SG Special (if you are not necessarily a fan) is the neck profile. Very cozy and vastly different to a slim taper. :thumb:

SGBreadfan

Reaction score
Yes, the neck is very big bordering on baseball bat size. You’d have to go to custom shop to find that feature on any other SG, the production models have thinner profiles including the batwing Standards. I haven’t gotten my calipers out yet, but my Iommi’s neck might measure bigger than my R8 Les Paul. Trogly pulled one apart on his YouTube show and the pups on the non custom shop Iommi and they say ”Iommi P90” on them. They’re terrific P90’s and I believe differently spec’d than the P90’s on the regular Special.

Kyle Lanning

Reaction score
Hey all!

I had posted recently about intonation and locking tuners for my SG Modern - and had promised some photos once I got the setup finished. Well, as you can clearly see, this certainly isn't a Modern! I ended up trading it with my local shop for this new Tony Iommi Special!

While I liked my Modern, it felt just a tad TOO modern if that makes sense? While this is a fairly unique model, it still gives off a more SG-esque vibe. Beyond that, I much prefer the more vintage finish - as when I think SG, I think red or black ha! Had I already had this (or a Standard, Special etc) I'd have likely been happy to add the Modern to the collection, but I couldn't justify/afford to keep both as I just snagged a new PRS CU24 Wood Library as well, so guitar budget is shot for a bit (and more importantly, my wife would have given me a hard toss into the dog house had I kept both)

Anyway, so far so good! This is my first guitar with P-90's, so I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces :dude:

Thanks to the others on here who've posted feedback on this particular model, as it prompted me to go check this one out, and while I'm more of an Angus vs Iommi guy, I'm really diggin' it!

View attachment 47332
I think you made the right call. Moderns are fleeting in the Gibson lineup I bet. While I do think they're cool and I'll probably snag a used one someday, the Iommi is definitely unique and more traditional in every sense. I, too think SG's are red or black (mostly just red haha)

I have a 2019 Special with P90's and it is BY FAR my favorite axe right now PERIOD. I even just bought a new 50s LP Goldtop which was a bucket list item for me for the last 20 years and I still play my P90 axe most. I definitely would have bought one of these if they had been out but I'm happy with the one I have. I'd say the Iommi might not compete against a PRS wood library but sometimes you get inspired by something and never put it down. Either way, great looking SG!

Ty89m

Reaction score
Congratulations! Gonna put the monkey on it ?

U kno, the 'Les G's w/the Maple Caps, I havent played one yet......

IDK if GIBSON put the Maple cap on because of neck dive-itis problems w/G-Farce Tuning System weighing down the Head-Stock like on the 2017 -2018 SG HP Models? I couldnt hang w/'17 SG HP I got...went straight to the floor, fast, if I took my hand off the neck, worst case I'd ever seen. Did the blueberry SG dive at all ?

I haven't decided if the sticker is getting slapped on her or not! I was just happy they included the longer set screws and sticker in the case ha!

I honestly never strapped up the Modern to see how susceptible it was to neck dive, nor did I spend near enough time with it as I never really jived with it.

Beautiful! I’m a new member (former lurker) looking for a “regular” Special in Canada and there is basically no stock (no Iommi’s either from the look of it). So you were lucky!

Cheers from another Ducatisti!

Yeah, it had just come in at my local shop, and they were great about trading my Modern for this new one. Also, cheers to you as well! Between motorcycles and guitars, I'm either going to end up divorced, broke, or a combination of both ;)

I think you made the right call. Moderns are fleeting in the Gibson lineup I bet. While I do think they're cool and I'll probably snag a used one someday, the Iommi is definitely unique and more traditional in every sense. I, too think SG's are red or black (mostly just red haha)

I have a 2019 Special with P90's and it is BY FAR my favorite axe right now PERIOD. I even just bought a new 50s LP Goldtop which was a bucket list item for me for the last 20 years and I still play my P90 axe most. I definitely would have bought one of these if they had been out but I'm happy with the one I have. I'd say the Iommi might not compete against a PRS wood library but sometimes you get inspired by something and never put it down. Either way, great looking SG!

I feel great about my decision, no doubt! Thanks!

cerebral gasket

Reaction score

The pup rings around the P-90's as well as the chrome covers are really the only features that identify this SG Special with Iommi. Bridge, tuners, knobs were common modifications back in the day.

dumpster chicken

Reaction score
Compared to the current SG Special:
-Mother Of Pearl logo on the headstock, instead of silkscreen
-Grover Rotomatic tuners, instead of Gibson branded Kluson-style
-Solid black 1-ply truss rod cover, instead of 3-ply
-Rounded neck profile, instead of slim taper
-Strap button on the upper horn, instead of at the neck heel
-Metal covers on the P90 pickups with unique rings and more "vintage correct" spacing
-Badass-style adjustable bridge, instead of "lightning bolt" bridge
-Blank toggle switch ring
-Witch hat knobs, instead of top hat knobs
IMHO, the main attraction of the Iommi SG Special (if you are not necessarily a fan) is the neck profile. Very cozy and vastly different to a slim taper. :thumb:
Thank you

Latest posts