NGD...Standard 61 Maestro

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by batarang78, Apr 26, 2021.

1. batarang78

batarang78 New Member

Hi,
    I haven't been on here in forever, but I found this gem in a local shop, played it, was bitten by the bug, and here she is. It's my first SG in years and the only one I currently own. I'm very happy with it, and I'd certainly purchase it again.

With being locked down for so long, and buying online so much in recent years, it was refreshing to walk into a shop and find an instrument I loved and took home.

I do have one question though. That thing where you bend a string and the others go lower in pitch - is that something related to the Maestro, or is it something inherent to the SGs with shorter neck joints in general? The last one I owned was a standard with the Batwing, thicker neck, and longer neck joint...it was a few years ago, and I can't be sure, but I don't recall that being a thing before. Just curious, hope you guys are all doing really well!
    0313211949a_HDR_resize_94.jpg 0313211950a_HDR_resize_73.jpg 0313211949b_HDR_resize_62.jpg 0313211950_HDR_resize_44.jpg 0313211951_HDR_resize_64.jpg 0313211952_HDR_resize_72.jpg 0313211951a_HDR_resize_77.jpg

2. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Beautiful. No matter what folks have to say, you can’t deny it’s breath taking beauty

batarang78 likes this.
  3. RW59

RW59 Member

I've only owned one guitar with a Maestro trem, but it was much more stable than Strat trems when bending with my fingers (that is, the other strings didn't detune much when bending one string or even bending double stops). But not as stable as a stop tail.

The modern long neck joint is stiffer than the early style joints. That's the trade-off for better upper fret access.

Beautiful guitar.

batarang78 likes this.
  4. Musicmasterfuzz

Musicmasterfuzz New Member

batarang78 likes this.
  5. batarang78

batarang78 New Member

I'm using 10-46 gauge. I have thought recently about trying 10-48 or 10-52, though.

6. JACK N HILL

JACK N HILL Member

Congrats ! NGD's are AWESOME !!

I C 22ND Fret Neck Joint, so dating it is narrowed down some but the year is ?

IDK what Heel the '63's had and I hear Gibson used several but yours can get right up there with one !!!

You must be super-stoked with that BAD-A$$ !!!

batarang78 likes this.
  7. batarang78

batarang78 New Member

The checklist from the factory says it was completed in August 2020. I'm honestly surprised it sat in a store this long despite the current situation. No problem though, I gladly took her home! Yes, I'm absolutely stoked with this guitar! It's inspiring to play, and I have come up with more riffs and song ideas than I ever did before. It's no wonder why, the guys in the 60s and 70s felt the same way!

8. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Damn, she purdy!

yeah vibratos and bending take a little finagaling, but lots of geetar players have dealt with it, and made some beautiful music.

batarang78 likes this.
  9. JACK N HILL

JACK N HILL Member

Yeah,u kno, I have seen a couple SG's sitting around for months in Sam's and GC. I might grab a Standard tomorrow AAMOF, a 2020 that just got discounted w/4 yrs to pay, LOL !!! 490's tho.....IDK????

I got one, (kinda looks like yours, no 22nd fret NJ) of the MAESTRO's on 2019 SG 'Original' w/Chrome Maestro and itssa Li'l Cannon. I bought it coz it has '57's in it, most '19 SG's have the '61's or 490's which just don't do it for me. The Chrome Maestro is sooo BAD-A$$ too.Have you thought of chroming out the TM's ? Locking Kluson Revo's in Chrome are an option I took up, all that Chrome on one Guitar !

batarang78 likes this.
  10. batarang78

batarang78 New Member

Yeah I'm gonna get a set of klusons, I think if they have lightweight chrome tulip buttons that would be sweet.

On another note, I like this SG so much that I just ordered the sideways version - I'm going to lock it down and use it as a fixed bridge. I would have ordered the stop tail version except that I've always loved the look of the sideways tail piece, it's very inspiring.

11. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

It's likely your new SG requires the usual clean-up of the truss rod nut area and its initial truss rod adjustment.

In most cases they become alot more stable after the truss rod slack is removed.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  12. JACK N HILL

JACK N HILL Member

YES, I know, I got 2 of the Sideways/3 P-up in Ebony w/Gold H'ware and had to send em both back....defects ! I did not ry for a 3rd and so got the MAESTRO !
    I tried to upload a pic of my Maestro w/the Chrome Kluson's but I hav to use my phone or it just doesn't work,FFS !!!.....all that CHROME on one Guitar....IT IS THE T - I - T S !

batarang78 likes this.
  13. JACK N HILL

JACK N HILL Member

Bro, I hate to bother you, but how did you get the pics up-loaded? I am tryin to post a pic of a new 2020 SG Standard I got yesterday(the only new one available within 150 miles!) and I have tried everything. I have done it b4 w/I-Phone but its not working this time around.....if you have a suggesttion I will be grateful ! IDK how I could by you a drink, this being cyber-space, but I would !!!

batarang78 likes this.
  14. JACK N HILL

JACK N HILL Member

BTW, the SG Standard in Black w/Sideways Tremolo w/Gold Hardware and 3 '57's is OMG AWESOME....IIWY, I would definitely grab one ! if I could find a new one that is not like the 2 I had to send back as for defects..... one would be mine!!

batarang78 likes this.
  15. batarang78

batarang78 New Member

Well, I used my android LG phone. At first, my pictures were too large to be uploaded, because my phone took the pics at too sharp an image lol. Then I used an app called Lit Photos to down size the pics. I'm not sure if that's the issue you're having, but that's what I encountered. Thanks for the cyber drink lol.

16. JACK N HILL

JACK N HILL Member

Thanks Bro, YOU ROCK ! Not everyone has the time to explain that !
    Have a drink on me, love that one ! N E Way, I got an app that takes pixels out and was abe to post a pic , and it was frikkin tiny !! Ridiculous looking really but I tried, never say die and all, u kno ? it took almost two hours total and the picture is frikkin tiny and then if you click on it, its frikkin HUGE in the window it opens up in.....Ridic ain't the word.

IDK WTF these forums have such tiny Picture limits but this is not the only web-site out there like this....makes me wanna just forget the whole dealio...What good is a site if you cant post pics easily ? or at least not take all frikkin day !