NGD Tele... but needs help

Sweetums

Reaction score
Been looking for a Tele for a while. Found this Fender FSR 2011 made in Mexico used, not a scratch on it. Checking out, the guy says an employee in the drum department bought it back in '11 to learn on and didn't get into it, and just traded it back in. FSR = Fender Special Run = ash body, flipped control plate. Routed for a humbucker in the neck position if I choose to mod it later on. Digging my first maple fretboard!

The only thing is that the tone knob is unresponsive, and seems to be set all the way down (aka at zero). Not the bright, clear tone the Tele is known for. Just to be sure I've just A/B'd a MIJ Jazzmaster and the tone is definitely messed up on the Tele. Just changed the strings, and took off the pickguard to find a Dimarzio DP417 in the neck position (cool!) and all sorts of wiring going on. Thought I got some better pics of the pots but I guess I'll have to open it up again later on. I would really like to get that tone knob working. Other than that, it plays great.

[GALLERY=media, 630]IMG_3088 by Sweetums posted Oct 8, 2015 at 9:44 PM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 633]IMG_3094 by Sweetums posted Oct 8, 2015 at 9:47 PM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 629]FullSizeRender 2 by Sweetums posted Oct 8, 2015 at 9:43 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 632]IMG_3092 by Sweetums posted Oct 8, 2015 at 9:44 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 631]IMG_3091 by Sweetums posted Oct 8, 2015 at 9:44 PM[/GALLERY]

Crazy_8

Reaction score
Since the control plate is flipped the switch position is too. Try throwing it the other way (all the way up) and see what happens. Early 50's wiring was Neck/bridge/ full treble roll off; not neck/both/bridge.

Hope this helps and nothing is actually wrong!

Sweetums

Reaction score
Crazy_8, that's what I initially thought when I was playing it in the store. Of course others were doing their Saturday jamming too so I didn't catch the tone knob problems. The 3 way switch on this one is neck / both / bridge. I've tested it by tapping the pickups with a screwdriver. The volume knob works great in any switch position, the tone knob doesn't do anything for any of the switch positions.

Crazy_8

Reaction score
Next step would be checking the tone pot to make sure it isn't shorted out... Good luck !

Madmatt

Reaction score
That wiring looks kinda off to me... I say If you can't find the problem easy, I'd rip it out and do it right

Really classic guitar you have there, btw! Nice!

lineboat

Reaction score
I can't see the wiring very well, but Teles are simple. That looks like a mess to me. Strip it all out, shorten those wires, tidy it all up, and throw a new set of good pots in it. Those are great guitars, and well worth half an hours work. Good luck!

Bettyboo

Reaction score
Very nice indeedy. Hope you get the wiring sorted out quickly and painlessly... :dude:

wlewisiii

Reaction score
Yeah, that plate is wired weird. I'd buy a new tone pot, download a basic wiring diagram and heat up my iron. The pot in it may be good and it's just wired wrong but I'd just rather do both at once.

I'd also return the plate to normal but that's just me.

Crazy_8

Reaction score
Where's my manners, that certainly is a great looking Tele there! I wish mine still looked like that, but a couple of decades of wear has taken it's toll.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
congratulations then... several times I have bought a used guitar, and then checked it over carefully
to see if I could figure out why the old owner sold it. and several times I have found something simple
and corrected that, and had no more problems. People sell guitars because they are clueless sometimes.

>and that's good for us around here, because we share knowledge and solve problems that cause other
players to lose their religion. I think there's no better Telecaster look than the orlginal Blonde/black
version. If I bought another Tele, that's what I'd get. And I would put a humbucker in the neck position...
Although I believe Fender has addressed all the issues that caused guys to do that way back when.
Modern Tele neck pickups are no longer the weak link IMHO. So maybe not necessary to swap.

But I do think a tele with a neck Humbucker just looks cool...
keithmicawber2006.jpg micawber2.jpg

Latest posts