NGD. The best $1095 I’ve even spent for a guitar

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Pageburst, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Pageburst

Pageburst Member

This is technically my second SG. The 1962 SG I recently bought being the first. Prior to that my humbucker guitars were always Les Pauls and a few ES 335/345. I’ve been enjoying my 1962 SG so much I decided to grab a current production model.

When I saw this 2020 61 Standard come up for a little over 1k I decided to grab it. The only thing it lacked as far as I could tell was the OHSC although the one it shipped in was decent.

[​IMG]

The less than good:
    I did not realize these models came with those Gibson PCB pots and caps which made installing my OX4 Beanos a bit of a pita. Luckily I had some pots and caps on hand so eventually I got everything wired in properly.

The Nashville bridge is tonally diffuse, very unfocused, a mess. It did provide something of a sweet spot on frets 3-10 on the G and B strings but the bass side strings sounded muddy, lacked snap and transient detail. It also sounded mushy in spots. Don’t get me wrong, you could tell the tone was in there, it just needed to be brought out. I considered grovers to tighten things up but the balance of the guitar is so good I didn’t want to to change it.

The mod:
    Luckily, I had a Faber ABR-1 laying around and when I say the difference was huge between it and the Nashville bridge, it was huge. I purposefully kept the same strings so there would be no other variables. I know some will decry cork sniffery but before you do Youtube Johan Segeborn’s comparison of ABR bridges. If you don’t hear significant differences between several of them, you may need to get your ears checked.

The Outstanding:
    Beautiful piece of lightweight resonant mahogany. The fret board is a deep dark piece of Rosewood with a very smooth finish. Speaking of which, overall fit and finish is as good as my custom shop Les Pauls. Perfect frets, nibs, no binding bleed. No neck dive either. And once I installed the Faber ABR-1 the mushiness was gone and the whole guitar seemed to tonally snap into focus. Beautiful shimmery cleans from the neck and plenty of crunchy bite from rhe bridge.

In closing:
    This is my fist non custom shop current production Gibson. And I must say that with the few basic upgrades, This 61 Standard is proving itself to be a phenomenal guitar.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Congrats!
    Nice SG Standard '61.

The SG '61 Reissue was discontinued in 2013.
    An SG '61 Reissue Limited Edition was produced in 2016.

As of 2019 they have been marketing them as the SG Standard '61.
    Look at an SG '61 Reissue from 2016, 2013 and earlier and note the placement of the crown inlay on the headstock and then look at the one on the 2019 and later.

Historical accuracy matters none to me, just an observation.

Playability and sound is always most important to me and of course if it looks great it will inspire me to play it. I really like the translucent finish and grain on yours.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Pageburst likes this.
  3. Pageburst

Pageburst Member

Yes you are 100% correct. I meant to state 2020 61 Standard.

Apparently there have been a plethora of SG 61s over the years including USA reissue 61s. Customshop reissue 61s, And now the USA 61 Standard.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

The builds on these recent guitars has blurred the line between the USA and Custom Shop models. They've done a really great job on them IMO.

tolm, SGBreadfan and Pageburst like this.
  5. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

Congrats! Very nice SG.

I ditched the zmack potmetal Nashville's on my two SG's and went with a different approach than a ABR-1. I bought top of the line Nashville's machined out of solid steel billets. Definite improvement in the way the notes ring out. Plus the saddles use allen wrench bolts instead of phillips or flathead bolts. The youtube comparisons of Nashvilles vs steel Abr-1's NEVER compare one to a machined steel or a machined bell brass Nashville.

chilipeppermaniac and Pageburst like this.
  6. fos1

fos1 Active Member

OK, now I'm jealous!

Pageburst likes this.
  7. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Awesome!
    Congrats

8. RW59

RW59 Member

Faber's ABRN can fit onto existing Nashville posts, so I'm wondering if you did that, or used Faber's conversion posts?

9. RW59

RW59 Member

I was just checking the specs to see if it already has an aluminum stopbar (it does). (And yes, the strings' transverse waves stop at the saddle and nut, but the longitudinal waves continue all the way to the anchor/end points, so there's an actual rational explanation why we can hear differences in tailpieces.)

But the specs say the stock bridge is an ABR, not a Nashville. (Probably the modern hybrid ABR that has metal bushings in the body rather than posts screwed directly in the wood -- if so did you use them?) And stock pics show an ABR-width bridge, not the wide Nashville.

So I'm not sure if you switched an ABR for a Nashville, or an ABR for an ABR?

I hear differences between different ABR's, but mostly consider them lateral/neutral. Trading some sweet spots for different sweet spots. My TonePros NVR changed the tone of my '13 60s Tribute compared to its stock Nashville, but I like it both ways. (Main reason I changed was so I could lower the stopbar without resorting to top wrapping -- the damn bolt head was so high it dug into my wrist and forearm.)

There are design features of the Nashville I don't like. Drastically reduced range of break angle is my functional complaint. And unnecessary improvements offend me on some emotional level -- I've never needed more adjustment range than an ABR offers, so why should I look at a bloated blob that gives me no benefit?

But I've had guitars with Nashvilles that sounded great. And I've had guitars that sounded better with zinc tailpieces than with aluminum. So just want to make sure we're actually talking about a Nashville.

Pageburst and flognoth like this.
  10. Pageburst

Pageburst Member

I used Faber conversion posts. Believe me, I’m not new to this. I know an ABR from a Nashville.

I agree about the spec, it was my understanding that these standard 61 shipped with n ABR-1. Not sure what happened with mine but at the price, I didn’t want to send it back. Especially after seeing the nice dark rosewood fretboard on this one. At least bridges are easily swapped out. Rosewood fretboards not so much

11. tolm

tolm Well-Known Member

Hmmmm ... they musta changed somat at Gibson HQ ‘cause I have a 2019 SG Standard ‘61 and it came with an ABR-1 bridge and not a PCB pot in sight ...

12. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Congrats,

You' re lucky, your SG is not orange like some 2019 and 2020 SGs

Do you use Faber Insert studs? I' m surprised that your Standard '61 arrived with the Nashville bridge. :hmm:

Temp 4367.jpg

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  13. kongssund

kongssund Member

I always do the same. Done the faber conversion on the lp and the sg. So much tighter fit and more clear sounding.
    bridge.JPG

papagayo likes this.
  14. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

All this ABR talk. I have not switched mine, but this talk is making me jones for one.

15. kongssund

kongssund Member

If it works and you are happy, don`t bother :)

Changed on my lp becuase the old nashville caved in.

Dale likes this.
  16. tolm

tolm Well-Known Member

I definitely prefer an ABR-1 but I’ve never felt the need to change a Nashville in the past.

17. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

I keep telling myself that as well!

18. Pageburst

Pageburst Member

Yes faber conversion insertS.

Btw, i am not trying to make a judgement as to which bridge is better a Nashville or an ABR-1

The particular Nashville bridge on my guitar was garbage. Since Im familiar with ABR-1s and had a spare one laying around thats what ended up on the guitar lol

i have no idea, i bought it with thr understanding that “Handwired” pots and caps and an ABR bridge are standard.

papagayo likes this.
  19. fishlog

fishlog New Member

Agreed my I’ve had a 2019 61’ standard and currently a 2019 SG special which to me feels about as close to a custom shop as I’ll ever get.

papagayo likes this.
  20. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Same for me, I prefer the Gibson ABR-1, on my Trans ebony Std I used black adapters for a discrete mount

[​IMG]

@kongssund
    This year Faber add new Insert studs imperial size, 6/32 inch. A good upgrade for 2019 - 2020 models.

https://www.faberguitar.com/iNsert-...uds-7mm-6-32inch-Steel-nickel-plated-glossy_1

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    Pageburst and flognoth like this.