NGD - The praise over the '57 Classics is well justified

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Beery Swine, Apr 10, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Beery Swine

Beery Swine Active Member

Just bought a used 2007 SG, the one with the small pickguard. I remember playing this Epi LP Tribute in a shop for about an hour once and being blown away by the pickups. I asked the clerk what pickups they were, and upon hearing the answer, I immediately responded "Really?!"
    I can definitely see why so many people list these as their favorites, and they may well turn out to be my favorites so far. A little more time and playing will tell. My current top spot is held by the old PRS McCarty pickups. I'll have to do some back-and-forths with my new (old) SG and my McCarty to really judge, but gat dang, if this guitar doesn't sound snappy, growly, and clean all at once.

Before pics are asked for, my phone doesn't have a good camera, so you'll be missing a lot of quality. Nice 1-piece body and grain, tho.

pedecamp, Chuteboxehero and Biddlin like this.
  2. JACK N HILL

JACK N HILL Member

Congrats, is it a slim-taper neck ? pics would be a good idea?

AFAIAC, if a Gibson SG doesn't have '57's in it (or BB Pro's or Pearly Gates) I do not want to buy it. Not that it is not a good guitar but for my Hard Earned, I want what I want, that is all.

The SG Standards now have the '61's or 490's and they have a bit of heft to them but the clarity is MEH ?

SG's w/'57 Cassic's, a winner every time !

Demon Dave and rotorhead like this.
  3. Derald

Derald Member

SG + Classic 57’s = TONE
    It’s the only formula you need to remember

rotorhead likes this.
  4. MacDiarmada

MacDiarmada New Member

I put 57’s in my 91 special that I recently restored and now I am thinking about taking out the burstbucker 61’s out of my 13 standard 61 and dropping in some 57’s.

Beery Swine likes this.
  5. JACK N HILL

JACK N HILL Member

Good idea, wait, GREAT idea,you just cant go wrong.... IMO.

I have a set of the BB ‘61’s in a 2015 SG Special I picked up just recently and, initially, I did not mind them....but when that guitar is out with any one of my other Gibson’s, OMG, THEN I realize how much I can’t stand them now.....I got this particular Special just for beating the crap out of so its not getting any up-grades, but if it were....’57’s would be the 1st thing I’d do, then get rid of the G-FARCE Robo-Tuners.

6. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I'm a fan... IMHO SGs and '57s are made for each other.
    I'm partial to the '57 Classic Plus... it might be my fave pickup ever.
    IMG_1097@100.jpg
    I have a regular '57 in the neck position, and the Classic plus at the Bridge.
    That's the standard configuration and it works beautifully. If there were no
    financial concerns (and if my two current SGs didn't do everything I need done)
    I might consider putting the '57 classic plus at the neck position and adding
    the Dirty Fingers to the bridge.

rock yer sox off, eh? I think so.
    But the regular '57s work well at a lower output level. Just turn it up.
    All the way from clean to overdrive, if you use your controls on both
    guitar and amp.

Guys who say snarky things about the '57s just don't know how to EQ
    their sound IMHO. I've seen them described as muddy, and also as shrill.
    Nah. Gibson '57s are accurate. Start with beautiful, musical tones, and then
    crunch it or spin it or wobble it as you wish. Turn it up!

7. Spiral

Spiral Member

I had them in a '61 RI, and foolishly swapped them out for others that sounded harsh and too bright in comparison. I swapped them because I thought they were a little muddy sounding - in hindsight I didn't realise that, that mud was thick and sweet, just how they should be.

8. JACK N HILL

JACK N HILL Member

Ouch, oh well.....next time. the SG in ur avatar, is that a Signature DT ? or did you just add the chrome tail piece ? Black SG's w/Chrome, and '57's.....OOH LA LA !!!

9. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

DSCN1279.JPG
    57's are great, but Dirty Fingers will do everything 57's, 61's, 490's and 500t's do all in the volume control.

10. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

P-90 at neck.
    Humbucker at bridge.
    That's my favorite combo.

11. Demon Dave

Demon Dave Active Member

Totally agree

12. JACK N HILL

JACK N HILL Member

Nice one Bro....I must tell you that yesterday I went against that practice as I got the dealio of the year on a new 2020 SG Standard w/490's, but in my defense, it was on-Blowout-sale at GC and they practically gave it to me: NO CA$H changed hands, they gave me 4 yrs to pay for it interest free...I could not say no as I handed over my GC Card...it was such a Great dealio that I also got a real GIBSON Black/Black Hard SHell case to replace the leather Hag-Blag GIBSON is now using for a Standard (it is now 4 sale,LOL! and Shame on GIBSON !) and still saved over $300......and I have four yrs to cough up the CA$H,Ridiculously good dealio.....I just had to wait for it to go on sale.

I will end up putting '57's in it sooner or later anyway though.It is a perfect specimen of SG Standard, I checked it thoroughly and to my surprise, it is flawless and it was set-up perfectly, ROCKIN' "Up to my Neck in You" in the store, LOL !!!

I have been unble to upload a pic....but, OMH, I did get it.

Beery Swine and Demon Dave like this.
  13. JACK N HILL

JACK N HILL Member

WOW, sweet N-225, love that Pin-Striping......reminds me of a certain Nighthawk from long ago....

14. Demon Dave

Demon Dave Active Member

Let’s see this black beauty, it’ll increase my GAS for a black SG, thinking of repaint in black my 2013 std

15. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

You are correct, good stuff! I have an SG with a pair of 57 Classics and it sounds fantastic, and another with 57 Classic Plus in the bridge which is a little bit hotter and darker sounding which is equally as good. :yesway:

16. JACK N HILL

JACK N HILL Member

FINALLY, HAD TO RE-PIXELATE THE PICTURE. The 490's get more done when an MXR 10 Band EQ is in the pedal chain...big difference.I thank Randy Rhoads for that idea.

IMG_3244 2 copy.jpg

Beery Swine likes this.
  17. Beery Swine

Beery Swine Active Member

I finally got around to taking a pic. Probably more pics to come.

Attached Files:

18. Westernrider

Westernrider Well-Known Member

For me, 57's .... Blah. Hold on, I'm not here to bash 'em .....

Many years ago [ 1960's ], the local music store carried a couple of Fenders guitars and amps, Ampeg amps, Gibsons, a few pianos and organs, and band instruments.

Taking guitar lessons there was an experience as I worked my way thorough the first five Mel Bay books and played my first SG. We all have to start somewhere.

One afternoon I was at the store waiting and an older employee was working on a Gibson ES - ?????, and showed me how to adjust the pickup pole pieces to match the radius of the neck and said this was the starting point. Then adjust by ear from here.

Start with all the screws flush with the cover.
    Turn all screw slots straight - from bridge to nut.
    Leave 1 and 6 flush with the cover.
    Turn 2 and 5 one turn up [ left ]
    Turn 3 and 4 two turns up.

When adjusting pole pieces, I start with screw slots front to back and go a half turn at a time.

When done, it should give you a screw height pattern, while not drawn to scale, similar to the illustration below.

1--
    2---
    3----
    4----
    5---
    6--

Have used this on previous 57' I owned. If you have a SD 59 bridge pickup that needs more mids, this adjustment should help.

Lastly, has anyone else ever heard of adjusting pole pieces like this or a similar method.

Beery Swine and Go Nigel Go like this.
  19. alex1fly

alex1fly Member

This works great in theory, assuming that all strings have an equal volume. Sometimes thought you get a particularly loud or quiet string and should make adjustments to accommodate that.

Beery Swine and Go Nigel Go like this.
  20. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

I would agree with both of the above. There is a lot of merit to the theory, and I have at least one guitar that sounds best with the pickup poles following the radius of the bridge pretty precisely. The following post however is spot on that you should ultimately follow your ears for the final adjustment. I also have a guitar where on one pickup the pole on the D string sounds best about four turns above everything else. No obvious reason for it (bridge and fret board radius is nothing unusual at all), but if I want it to sound balanced, that is just where it winds up. It looks odd, but sounds great.

Beery Swine likes this.