NGD : Tokai USG 65, MIC ‘61 SG Custom Style

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by LesSGTeleNYC, May 4, 2020.

1. LesSGTeleNYC

LesSGTeleNYC New Member

https://reverb.com/item/27344052-tokai-usg-65s-no-gig-bag-no-hardcase?show_sold=true

I fell in love with it in pictures and it has matched my expectations. The pickups are the only drawback, but for $510 (it was on sale, do not know why the page has the pre-sale price) I was expecting to upgrade there and I already got a Duncan Phat Cat (also on Reverb for $50) for the bridge.
    I think it is absolutely beautiful. Plays great and i do not see any flaws in the build quality.

2. Astral Traveler

Astral Traveler Active Member

Congratulations, that looks stunning! I think it's hard to go wrong with a Tokai.

3. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Active Member

CongratulationsNYC! Pretty one!
    How's the weight?

4. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Tokai makes a great guitar, I have two MIC ones. Hope you enjoy it.

5. LesSGTeleNYC

LesSGTeleNYC New Member

I think the weight is perfect (not heavy and not a cheap feather), but I don’t have a strap so I can’t comment on neckdive.

6. LesSGTeleNYC

LesSGTeleNYC New Member

Oh yeah and Estudio 54 (the Spanish store it came from) threw in a great gig bag even though it specifically said no bag or case. I think they did it because they couldn’t give it the setup they (and all the smart mom and pops) use as a selling point for why we should buy from them and not the big boxes. They said the workshop was closed which was not surprising considering how hard Spain has been hit by Covid.
    The Spanish stores seem to have new Tokais clearly cheaper than anywhere else. Anyone know why? Well at least the cheapest that I have found as an American lusting for the limited MIJ copies we have access to. I’ll probably go yahoo japan for my next MIJ LP or ES. While In the same price range this destroys an Epiphone.

7. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

That's been my experience as well.