NGD with questions

mvenuti1980

Reaction score
I decided I didn’t need to two Les Pauls, so I put the Studio up for sale and bought a 2021 SG Standard, lightly used, from GC. Love it! I bought a Gator HSC to replace the soft shell, and have a set of BurstBucker Pros ready to go in, as I’m not the biggest fan of 490s. The other thing is I’d like to do is add locking tuners. Can you guys suggest ones that will drop right in, preferably with out requiring any drilling? It looks like the locking Grovers will drop right in, but I’m not sure…

skelt101

Reaction score
@mvenuti1980
First of all, prepare yourself for an onslaught of detractors saying locking tuners do nothing for stability (that’s up to the nut and saddles) and are heavier than non-lockers. I personally find those criticisms to usually be true. However, locking tuners can facilitate faster string changes.
That out of the way, I presume your existing tuners are Grover Rotomatics. When changing to lockers, you always run the risk that screw holes will not line up. My suggestion would be to find the most accurate schematics you can for each tuner under consideration and compare them. (StewMac was historically a good source for this information.) Alternatively, you might consider tuners that don’t require mounting screws. My suggestion here would be Sperzel in the EZ-Mount. They are nice and light (for a locking tuner) and made in the USA. Some don’t care for the 12:1 ratio. I say it just takes less turns to get up to pitch.

Last edited:

sgguitarzz

Reaction score
I decided I didn’t need to two Les Pauls, so I put the Studio up for sale and bought a 2021 SG Standard, lightly used, from GC. Love it! I bought a Gator HSC to replace the soft shell, and have a set of BurstBucker Pros ready to go in, as I’m not the biggest fan of 490s. The other thing is I’d like to do is add locking tuners. Can you guys suggest ones that will drop right in, preferably with out requiring any drilling? It looks like the locking Grovers will drop right in, but I’m not sure…
Kluson Revolutions are perfect. I put a set in my 61 Standard.

Latest posts