Nines, Tens or Elevens? Advice for Noob

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by ChubbyFingers, Jun 11, 2020.

1. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Active Member

Locking tuners (Graph Tech Ratio per someone's recommendations - thank you) should be here today.

I can either:

a) keep the existing Gibson Vintage Reissue (pure nickel, allegedly) elevens that are on there - I have a spare set of these in case I can't re-use the barely run in ones that are there;

b) swap to the same brand etc. tens

c) fit d'Addorio XL Pure Nickels in either nines or elevens - I have a set of each in nines and elevens, but not tens.

My(please forgive the blasphemy) Telecaster has d'Addorio nines.

Thoughts anyone?

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I think you should definitely change strings when you replace your tuners. If your Telecaster has .009s, .010s would feel about the same on a 24 3/4" scale Gibson. 11s will feel a bit stiffer.

Bad Penguin likes this.
  3. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    I use .008". But that is entirely a matter of personal taste, and other folks' opinions aren't worth a lot to you. Locking tuners are nice, but I just fit my strings using the self-locking method so they aren't a necessity.

plankton and Biddlin like this.
  4. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

I agree with Biddlin about changing the strings. Go with 10's. But personally, I prefer either the EXL 110 set, or for something I feel is a bit bright, the EHR 310 set. (Half rounds)

5. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Gibson SGs come stock with .10s.

Nothing at all wrong with keeping the guitar the way it was meant to be.

6. JesseXGibson

JesseXGibson Member

I say stick with 10’s. I’ve done some experimenting here and there but I always come back to 10-46.

As for brand, I use elixir optiwebs and polywebs. Haven’t broken a string since I switched to these.

7. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Since this is basically a question asked in search of personal opinions, I say avoid pure nickel strings - they sound dull on day one and get worse from there. So IMO, if you are changing up it's time to go for nickel-plated steel (XL's, Boomers, etc) and then just decide if you want the tighter low end of the 9's or the punchier mids of the 10's. Time to buy strings is what I am saying.

8. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

Yeah I wouldn’t bother trying to keep those strings that are on there, if you do manage to get them strung again on the new tuners without breaking they’ll snap at the tuner end in no time!
    I like d’addario xl 9 or 10 gauge...

9. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

You like 9's, then there's your answer.
    You like 10's, then there's your answer.
    You like 11's, then there's your answer.

If you go bigger than what the nut was cut for, you might have strings binding in there and you'll curse your brand new locking tuners.

I am so used to 9's that 10's feel like reebars.

fredlw and Biddlin like this.
  10. ChubbyFingers

Yes, I believe the standard SG strings are 10s. I fitted 11s and am regretting it. Especially after getting the Telecaster. So I'm going back to 10s on the SG.

11. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

My tele likes strings one grade lighter than my Gibsons.
    I believe that is because of the longer neck on a Fender. It just feels good with lighter strings
    and I have no issues with them, so that's what it gets.

People who down tune their guitars often prefer heavier strings. So if you fitted 11s and don't
    like the feel, just drop the tuning a half step and see if you're not more comfortable.

Me, I like 11s on one of my SGs, and I have the nut slots just right for that gauge, and I seem
    to be able to bend them as much as my style needs, and they stay in tune quite well and sustain
    for a long time, so I'm happy.
    IMG_1097@100.jpg
    I have another SG which seems to like tens. It was issued with tens when new in 2012. Newer
    Gibbies are issued with nines now, I believe. But I like the tens on my silverburst SG
    Top view@100.jpg
    Anyway, don't be too shy about removing strings and replacing them. Your guitar will always sound better with new strings. A Gibson SG can use any strings from 007s to 13s, and we have players on these boards who use all those grades. Usually the heavy strings are used by players who tune a whole step down, or two steps down and play Stoner Doom Metal or something.

I was happy for a long time playing 12s on my acoustic, and 11s on my SG and tens on my Telecaster.
    I've come to like the feel of tens, so I use them on my Epiphone ES 339 too. But my SG special faded brown above sounds so good with 11s that I ain't changing a thing on that guitar, except the strings
    every month or so.
    Caledonia 2016@100.jpg

12. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

I am one of those who stay brand loyal. If I have a Fender, must use Fender picks, straps, strings...

Gibson?

[​IMG]

So keeping with brand loyalty, I use these Gibson Brite Wires on my SG. They are actually really great strings. I love treble and those Brite Wires are definitely bright...not sludge.

[​IMG]

13. ChubbyFingers

I've got Gibson strings on the SG right now, but I don't buy Mercedes air to put in the tires on either of my Mercedes, and the tires are Pirellis on one and Michelins on the other.

Fuzzdelay, SG standard and Biddlin like this.
  14. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

:rofl:
    Yeah in some cases there's a very fine line between "brand loyalty" and "OCD."

SG standard likes this.
  15. ChubbyFingers

TBH I do have a couple of sets bearing the name of the brand which shall not be named (beginning with F and ending in ender), but even I thought that was probably sacrilege...

Seriously. Do you really think either Gibson or Fender makes its own picks, or strings come to that?

These days both (and probably many many many more besides) brand of strings probably come from the same factory in China and just go into different packaging.

SG standard likes this.
  16. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Great choice, you'll love 'em :)

True, they're not necessary, but they do greatly speed up string changing, and get rid of the 'fiddly bit'. The way I see it, you might as well fit them unless you're wanting to 'keep it vintage'.

But these are more than locking tuners, the ratio tuners are just lovely to work with, as every string responds to the movement of the peg in a uniform way, so no string needs more turns than another or is hard to fine tune. Also, bringing the added bonus that you can drop a string (or all strings) by a tone or semi-tone with reasonable accuracy with one movement, then just fine tune. Switching tuning is so much quicker. I wouldn't fit anything else now, unless I wanted to keep a vintage look (unlikely in my case!).

The trouble is... you're wrong about that. SOME SGs have come stock with 10s, but certainly not all. I'm not sure when they changed (I've got a 2012 listing saying 10s)*, But all the new SGs I've bought came with 9s - and were listed as such on Gibson's web site. From my 2014 Standard to my 2018 Custom.

What I didn't notice immediately is they were actually hybrids; 9-46. I 'discovered' hybrids when I bought my first Reverend, and only subsequently discovered that's actually what my Gibsons had left the factory with.

I now love hybrids and use them on everything except my Strat, which has regular 9s. I happen to use Rotosound, and have done since the mid 80s, never found a reason to change, and always preferred them to whatever strings were on a new guitar. They also have the bonus of a spare top 'e' in their regular packs. Though I've rarely needed it :)

*I think they went back to 10s in 2019 - my Custom left the factory in Jan 2019, but has 9s on it.

17. Joncaster

Joncaster Member

Im wanting to try the new D'addario XT's out, but as for gauge, whatever floats your boat.
    10's seem to be a good place to rest. I'm on 10-52, Eb standard, and that works for me at the moment.
    Wouldn't mind getting a custom set done, maybe 9.5 to 50 or something.

18. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    Fender used to sell a series called Rock'n'Roll. They didn't come as a ready-made set, but in gauges (I think) every half thou from 7 upwards. You just picked what you wanted and made up your own set.

Joncaster likes this.
  19. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Basterdised Mercedes ! ! ! How can you ?

I think NMA was too shy to show us his Gibson branded boxers.

20. ChubbyFingers

10s fitted. I think my 2015 Standard came with those from the factory. The brass nut seems capable if handling small changes up or down without getting the files out for one-way changes.

Getting "pure" nickel seems to be a problem at the moment, there's probably a couple of shipping containers backed up in San Francisco docks somewhere due to the whole C-19 debacle.

I will use what I've got until I run out, then "standardize" in a brand once things get back to normal.

Thanks for the advice guys.