Nines, Tens or Elevens? Advice for Noob

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by ChubbyFingers, Jun 11, 2020.

1. ChrisM84

ChrisM84 Member

I played 10s for a long time then went to 9s and loved them. The best thing I did for my SG after settling on 9s was having a bone nut and new ABR-1 cut/notched for that string gauge. Intonation and tuning are rock solid.

2. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

I've gone back and forth between 9s and 10s several times, 9s feeling a little too slinky and 10s a bit stiff. Came across a set of Ernie Ball 9.5s and my problems were solved. They feel great on any Gibson I've tried them on so far. NYXL 10s are my second favorite.

3. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

Whatever you feel like. When I started I used 11s because I heard that they sound better. Once I realised that was bullshlt, I moved down to 10-52s. Then down to 9s which I use now. I used 8s for a while but I tend to wear my strings out quickly so I use Elixir strings which is a brand that doesn't make 8s. If they ever do, I'm moving right back down again

4. sazista

sazista Active Member

Whatever string feels good to your style. If you're playing Wes Montgomery style, you 'might' want thick strings, but it isn't so important. You can roll down your tone. Just experiment. I played 8s and 9s up until 1990 and switched to 10s thinking it was a fatter sound (plus I never broke any more strings with 10s!). It really makes no difference. Now I play all kinds of different music: Turkish, Middle-Eastern overtones (and corresponding instruments) and they all have thin strings. I now like 9s for the loose feel, and now tune to Eb or D. If you're interested in a decent review of strings, debunking the necessity of changing them for tone. There are many other more in-depth studies on strings. THis one is easily digestable.

5. sazista

sazista Active Member

Here's another good one that will likely show you that "no, it doesn't matter that much" it's about what is comfortable for you.

Robert Morris likes this.
  6. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Not wrong.

SGs came stock with 10s. You say they have since changed, that may be so; but what I said that the Standard SGs came strung with 10s from the factory is true.

It is beyond Gibson SGs. Every single full scale electric guitar that I have purchased (all new) has come strung with 10s. It seems that Fender Strats are the only ones that come stock with 9s, but my Tele, Gretsches, Epis, Rickenbackers...all strung with 10s.

I suppose 10s is the safest way to go for guitar manufacturers. A new guitar strung with 11s would turn off any new player and a guitar strung with 9s would turn off any veteran player. (9s are just too thin. They work on a Strat for that slinky, funky sound, but on any other guitar, no way.)

7. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Regarding this topic:

String gauge? Come on, that's all about personal feel. A better topic would be roundwounds vs flatwounds. That topic encompasses feel, tone, price, playability, durability.....

It's odd, I never see any discussion on a Gibson site regarding flatwounds. Rickenbackers and Gretsches....much talk and use of flatwounds.

8. davesultra

davesultra New Member

I like 10-46. Nothing to do with tonality, it’s strictly a feel thing.

NMA likes this.
  9. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

7-38 or 8-38

Biddlin likes this.
  10. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Active Member

Maybe Gretsch players have flat heads?

11. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

i recall seeing on the gibson site that some gibson LPs are actually coming from factory with 9 gauge...
    anyway, i used to use ernie ball power slinkys 11-48...simply cos they don't flop around so much... which also makes them less prone to slapping against the fretboard during hard / fast picking etc.
    so ya, still just a matter of preference :p

12. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

I re-strung a friend's Les Paul recently and he kept telling me to make sure I put 9s on it. I kept telling him I think these guitars are stock with 10s and all the years he's had the guitar he has been playing it with 10s on it. Well, any way I put the 9s on his Les Paul and he hated it. Said something didn't feel right. Duh.

As someone above pointed out, the string gauge really isn't about tone...it's more to do with feel. The various brands and various compositions (nickel, steel, hex core, flatwound…) have more to do with tone than the gauge does.

13. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Yes, wrong. Repeating yourself changes nothing. Some SGs came with 10s, some with 9s. Saying "Gibson SGs come stock with .10s" is wrong because they don't all come with .10s stock. Simple as that.

As for the context of this thread, you're completely wrong: The OP's 2015 Standard came with 9s, here's the spec from Gibson, still published on their web site:

String Dimensions
    E: 1.1684mm / 0.046"
    A: 0.9144 mm / 0.036"
    D: 0.6604 mm / 0.026"
    G: 0.4064mm / 0.016"
    B: 0.2794mm / 0.011"
    e: 0.2286mm / 0.009"

Simple fact, most Gibson solid body electrics in 2015 (and before and since) came with 9 - 46 strings. Even if you don't like it.

14. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

No, I am not wrong.

Saying, "Gibson SGs come stock with .10s" is not wrong.
    Had I said, "All Gibson SGs come stock with 10s," that would be wrong.

Simple as that.

15. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

'All' is implied, unless you say 'some'.

The OP's 2015 Standard came stock with 9s, so it's also wrong in context too. Context matters.

Sorry, I can't help it if you hate being wrong... :rolleyes:

16. ChubbyFingers

Well I stand corrected. Thank you.

But before people started their arguments all yours truly did was ask for advice... Should have known better from ANY internet forum I guess :rolleyes:

17. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

So far I haven't seen an argument more worthy of the "Who Gives A Sh!t Award 2020", very funny. If you are a noob and you need advice, take this:

- If something doesn't feel right , sound right or look right to you, make it.
    - The guitar is your tool and only you can, and has the right, to decide what's right or wrong.
    - If you ask for tips, many of them may not be right for you. Just keep trying til YOU get what YOU want out of YOUR guitar.

Grizzlyman likes this.
  18. ChubbyFingers

Suggestion for new thread / sticky.

Things not to ask on a guitar forum.

:cheers:

Grizzlyman likes this.
  19. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    1. Anything about guitars

20. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

You are correct about the specs on the site.
    But just an observation...

9-46 = hybrid set of 9s and 10s.
    Top three strings from set of 9s.
    Bottom three strings from set of 10s.

9s = 9-42
    0.009, 0.011, 0.016, 0.024, 0.032, 0.042

10s = 10-46
    0.010, 0.013, 0.017, 0.026, 0.036, 0.046

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020