Nitro damage

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Goldfingerz, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Reuben

Reuben New Member

If you are going to wet sand...use a few drops of liquid dish soap in water. This lubriates the finish and helps mitigate scratches..

Goldfingerz likes this.
  2. Goldfingerz

Goldfingerz New Member

Yes I was careful and no accidents, thanks

3. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

SUCCESS!! looks great!!!

4. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Looks fantastic.. nicely polished without damage.. I think that was the goal.. This thread got me thinking.. my SG-62 has my ABR-1 on backwards as well.. but also the saddles are backwards.. but it plays so awesome.. I hate to mess with it.. this one also LOVES an overwrap.. I may leave the screw heads facing the stop tail but flip the saddles over.. as the notches are wrong.. at least this should get it where it should be and give me a chance to clean the ABR-1 good and get the screws loosened up .. nice thread..

5. George Williamson

George Williamson New Member

I use an automotive product called The Scratch Doctor by NU FINISH on all my Gibsons ..even the expensive reissues. This is really good stuff. You can rub as hard as you want to and it wont take hardly anything off, Giving you the best control of removing finish flaws. That's why its so good..is that you need a few applications no matter how hard you rub to get some good results. It works to get haze out of a finish..again a few applications. I don't know anything else that will get haze out. it will get rid of finish scratches. It has worked for me for many years..I have come to rely on the Scratch Doctor for all my finish issues. Good Luck

Goldfingerz likes this.
  6. fuzbuzz78

fuzbuzz78 Member

Do people not read through these threads? The OP already took care of the haze. Got it how he wanted it. All done. Haha

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    cerebral gasket and Goldfingerz like this.
  7. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    Threads can be interesting long beyond the stage where the original problem has bean dealt with.

fuzbuzz78 and ruster1 like this.
  8. Silvertone

Silvertone Well-Known Member

What do you mean mitigates scratches? Isn't that what sand paper is supposed to do? Scratch. ;-) I think the dish soap is to help the sand paper to not load as fast, which is also why you wet sand vs dry sanding.

Cheers Peter.

9. davejustdave

davejustdave New Member

Ironically I stumbled across this video of a 70s Les Paul Deluxe neck fix but he works on the back of the body which seemed to have had the very same issue yours did. He fixed it sanding and polishing.

10. fuzbuzz78

fuzbuzz78 Member

Sand paper can also polish when a higher and finer grit is used. The real question is, at what point scientifically speaking, does scratching result in polishing?

11. Silvertone

Silvertone Well-Known Member

Scratching and polishing are the same thing when we talk of sand paper or polishing compounds, for that matter. You are taking heavier scratches out by using a slightly less abrasive material and putting in finer scratches. This is as true between 40 grit and 60 grit as it is between 10,000 grit and 12,000 grit. Both concepts are the same. You need to take out the courser grit with a finer grit before you move even finer. Where you stop is up to you.

Regards Peter.

Norton likes this.
  12. donepearce

When I do any kind of repair I sand to 12,000 with foam-backed pads. This leaves a smooth-looking but cloudy surface. I then use T-Cut, an auto compound. Then last I use aircraft perspex canopy polish. That is a mirror shine.

13. Houdi_Elbow

Houdi_Elbow Member

FYI....
    Speaking as a Metallurgist, polishing is a relative term.
    Any grinding or polishing stage is designed to remove all the scratches from the previous stage.... so one set of scratches gets rid of the last set of scratches.
    In reality I polish metallic and Ceramic samples for microscopic examination using a final size of 1/4 Micron (0.25μm) Diamond.
    1μm = one thousandth of a millimeter.

I personally wouldn't use anything less than 2400 grit as a start to wet sand a guitar finish.
    Careful using green Scotch-Brite pads as they are a lot more abrasive than you might think.
    0000 Grade Wire Wool can also be used , or so I'm told... never tried it personally.

You could always try this as it's made for the job : - https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-too...and-lubricants/colortone-scratch-remover.html

Best of luck
    H_E

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Norton likes this.
  14. Goldfingerz

Goldfingerz New Member

Thanks for all the comments guys and suggestions plus advice. I am but a mere novice. Lucky no sand paper was used. I bought new buffing wheels and placed some cutting compound on the wheel. Every step I did gently so as not to risk burning the Nitro. The first attempt removed a little, the 2nd attempt using the cut removed the offending blemishes but left swirl marks from the wheel. So I changed the wheel and applied straight polish, again 2 light slow speed passes instead of heavy fast. This removed the cut swirl marks but then left fine polish swirl marks. So I patiently finished off the process by 2 passes of hand rubbing with guitar polish. Success, it's wonderful, thank you: Gum Nitro 3 small.jpg Better Finish small.jpg

15. donepearce

Nice work. You now qualify to post in the lutherie section...

Goldfingerz likes this.
  16. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

That ended up really nice!
    Great job!

Goldfingerz likes this.
  17. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

Fantastic work there. That looks amazing.

Goldfingerz likes this.
  18. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

The criteria should be fairly simple. Have you done what you are about to recommend yourself? If so, post away, if not, post on mylespaul.com.
    Also, most guitar related products are just woodo stuff or available in cheaper versions made for their original purpose so a little research will save you cash. Glad to see OPs success without any major investments.

Goldfingerz likes this.
  19. donepearce

So true. Take adhesive copper tape as an example. You can re-mortgage your house and buy it from Stewmac. Or you can go to a gardening store and get the same stuff for almost nothing as a slug repellent.

Goldfingerz likes this.