Nitro finish/paint issue: poor quality control…?

Mrm45443

Reaction score
I have an SG Special from 2017 that I bought used (with a few mods) from the original owner in early 2020. Just recently while cleaning it (which I don’t do “too often” or using an particularly harsh cleaners/polishers) a fair amount the finish/black paint in the neck wiped clean off. Anyone else had a similar experience? Maybe just a quality control issue? Emailed original owner to see if he’d ever heard of that happening. It does (and did) see a lot of use but he was sort of surprised as well.

Colnago

Reaction score
Can we get a picture please?
I think Gibson should start using two finishes, like Fender, one for their Original Line(nitrocellulose lacquer), and one for their Modern Line(polyurethane). This way the purists and the others have their choice and nobody can complain, well that won’t ever happen. Haha.

Mrm45443

Reaction score
Pic. Again, I do not have a clue as to how this happened. No other issues to date.

Attachments

• neck.jpg
    neck.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 54

pancake81

Reaction score
Pic. Again, I do not have a clue as to how this happened. No other issues to date.

That looks like 20 years of play on a 5 year old guitar. Assuming you are using any over the counter cleaner intended for guitars, that should not be happening? Whether it be Dunlop, Martin, whatever polish….

No doubt about it something has reacted to the finish, the question is, what…?

Mrm45443

Reaction score
Squirted a little of the Gibson cleaner/polisher on a cloth. Body is fine. Just the neck. I've used it maybe a half dozen times since I bought the guitar. Usually just dry wipe it every few days.

Mrm45443

Reaction score
See below: "Squirted a little of the Gibson cleaner/polisher on a cloth. Body is fine. Just the neck. I've used it maybe a half dozen times since I bought the guitar. Usually just dry wipe it every few days."

No idea. I don't handle any caustic chemicals at work or anything.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Those Specials were available in satin ebony, cherry and vintage sunburst. Grain filler was used on the ebony, but not the other two finish colors. Even with the grain filler, the finish is still very thin on those.

That’s how they are able to offer them at a lower price point by reducing labor time on the finishing process. It’s not a quality control issue.

I don’t think those satin finishes were intended to have cleaners or polishes used on them.

Last edited:

Mrm45443

Reaction score
I guess nothing to be done about it now. Wiped it everything down with a damp (water) cloth a few times just to clean it off in case something unusual got on it. No more finish/paint came off.

I guess somewhere down the line just find someone to repaint/refinish?

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
The spec sheet lists the sealer as 1.5-2 mils with Satin topcoat.

A Standard has 1.5-2 mils sealer plus a Gloss topcoat of 7-8 mils.

Last edited:

Mrm45443

Reaction score
I think the 2016 had the mini humbuckers. The 2017 had a mahogany neck too.

Mrm45443

Reaction score
It’s a bummer. My old ebony SG has held up really well over a long span of time. But that normally stays in the case these days.

Von Trapp

Reaction score
I'm speculating WILDLY here but that wear looks consistent with exposure to too much rockn'roll, ie, what a hand does to paint over time in that particular area by way of palm sweat. The edges are smooth and not sharp, in which case it would indicated a bad paint job and the wood doesn't have the light untouched color it has when paint just falls off.
Now, if that happened and the owner felt it was not to any advantage in say for instance a sale, the hapless owner might want to refinish the neck before selling it. Consequently, if nothing was done to seal the area that's been exposed, the paint will not stick there but come of as seen in the pic when worked over with a cleaning product.

The only other explanation I can come up with is that the same palm sweat has deteriorated the paint over time but somehow it has not come off but slowly and deviously worked its way to a point where a light cleaning was enough to do the job.

But what to do then? A) impress those who like reliced guitars. or B) Seal it and refinish.

On a happier note though I don't think many players would go Holy sh!t that guitar is rooned! as it is in a quite expected area and of a not too unusual nature. View it as a testimony to your dedication.

Last edited:

beerbelly

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the previous owner may have sanded the finish off the neck, then re-sprayed it with cheap paint before selling it.

Latest posts