Nitro finish/paint issue: poor quality control…?

Von Trapp

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the previous owner may have sanded the finish off the neck, then re-sprayed it with cheap paint before selling it.

I thought my theory was wild, but that makes two of us then when it comes to bad refin.

Mrm45443

Reaction score
I wondered the same thing briefly yesterday. Previous owner indicates otherwise but…

RW59

Reaction score
Do you use hand sanitizer? Cologne or aftershave? Bug repellent?

Things like those can soften nitro. You have to wash all traces of those off before playing -- small amounts will be absorbed and build up if you play often with traces of them on your hand.

pancake81

Reaction score
Personally I don’t mind the look of a well loved instrument, it’s only a sign that this guitar has for people out of their seat and up onto the dance floor. If it doesn’t bother you aesthetically, and if you can’t feel it, I say keep her rockin

Mrm45443

Reaction score
Black light test would, what, reveal presence of “contaminants” or some difference in the quality of paint/finish?

Colnago

Reaction score
Looks like it was rubbed with acetone or thinner of some kind. I’ve stripped a few body’s and that’s what the neck looks like after a few swipes of an acetone soaked wrap.

Mrm45443

Reaction score
Looks like it was rubbed with acetone or thinner of some kind. I’ve stripped a few body’s and that’s what the neck looks like after a few swipes of an acetone soaked wrap.

Nope. Nothing like that around the house.

dub-setter

Reaction score
i would let it stay that way...
but its a strange thing that it happened , nevertheless.
maybe put some thin clear-lacer on it.

Mrm45443

Reaction score
Did the “black light” test on it. Most of the guitar (body, headstock, several inches of the neck at either end) has a sort of milky blue sheen to it (whether the “undercoat” of paint/stain is black or brown). Most of the neck and the plate on the back (which is flat black plastic) look purple.

Conclusion: sanded down, repainted, and not resealed by a previous owner?

Von Trapp

Reaction score
I'm no expert at this but as far as I can make out: old finish=glow, newer finish=no glo. I take that to mean that an untouched guitar should have an even glow/milky blue sheen and the parts that don't have that are refinished. So, yes, if I got that right then your conclusion is indeed correct and you've been bamboozled. (sorry, couldn't resist using that wonderful word...)

Although I doubt the "sanded down" part. Most likely worn down there by rockn'roll and then just a quick paint job to cover it in order to facilitate a more successful sale.

Last edited:

Rich Cuellar

Reaction score
I'm no expert at this but as far as I can make out: old finish=glow, newer finish=no glo. I take that to mean that an untouched guitar should have an even glow/milky blue sheen and the parts that don't have that are refinished. So, yes, if I got that right then your conclusion is indeed correct and you've been bamboozled. (sorry, couldn't resist using that wonderful word...)

Although I doubt the "sanded down" part. Most likely worn down there by rockn'roll and then just a quick paint job to cover it in order to facilitate a more successful sale.
I have a 2017 Sunburst Special T also. The paint seems thick enough. I buffed the whole thing with Meguiars Scratch X and shined it up, no issues with paint on mine. I personally love the Nitro finish on this series.

Latest posts