NMD for da Worm

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Tobacco Worm, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

NMD? What you say? We get the N(ew) and the D(ay) part there but the M?
    A mike? Mustang? What??:dunno:

OK, remember when I started a thread about baking? And how I was making my own bread and all that jazz? Well I've been mixing all that stuff with a freakin' spoon all that time!:wow: You got any idea what a pain in the ass it is to mix cake batter with a spoon??!! Well maybe if I were younger and such, but ever since that stroke, my right hand doesn't hold onto stuff well anymore. I drop picks, tools, and when mixing stuff that spoon will slip outta my mitt and I've slung batter all over the place. And more than once I might add.:mad:

So....... I bought a small, low buck, 5 speed hand held mixer!:applause:

I know, Whoo hoo!! But hey, at my age even a mixer can cause me to become mildly hysterical. OK, well at least it makes my job easier when baking. And that goes a long way for an old man on a tight budget, and you don't see sugar free baked goods at the local market bakery either. :naughty:
    So for about the same cost of a set of strings and a pick I got me a mixer.
    Yeah, I know.... that "M" shoulda been a new Magnum pistol, but a worm's gotta do what a worm's gotta do. :laugh2:

Thanks for playing and you can pick up your sugar free cupcake on your way out of the auditorium. :slap: <-- I needed that slap too!

LeadFinger, Crazy_8, eS.G. and 3 others like this.
  2. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

Nothin' wrong with cake. Send some over when you get a chance.

3. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Didn't somebody use a mixer on stage with their guitar...? Or was that a drill? I know what his face used a chain saw............

Maybe you got a duel purpose appliance thingy going on! :thumb:

4. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Congrats Wade now THAT is a TASTY find! :)

5. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Great news woim , now we can woik on gettin ya a nice new 8 Track! :naughty::laugh2:

Hey, can you still fire the Mags w/ the roit hand? They do have a substantial kick you know, thou I'm sure you don't have to " reacquire " the target for a second shot

eS.G. likes this.
  6. Tobacco Worm

Yeah, I almost didn't post this as it was kinda silly in a way. Getting all stupid over a mixer and all, but what the heck. I'm am old guy with simple pleasures now. Besides, if a few of us can get a chuckle outta this then good!:)

As to holding onto my pistols, odd thing. I suppose it's part muscle memory and part stubborn old mule but so far no issues shooting. Although I don't shoot bazillions of rounds anymore like when I was active duty police, but my little sessions at my range have been good for the most part. I like that hard punch that a 4" S&W .44Mag delivers. Kinda like a SG running into a big monster amp. Loud as hell. Ferocious and unstoppable. (I wish I still was. Now-a-days it takes me 20 minutes just to get outta bed:laugh2:)

Voxman likes this.
  7. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

That's a big load for a short barrel. What's the accurate shooting range of that pistol?

8. Tobacco Worm

David, I've been carrying and shooting a 4" S&W Mod 29 since 1975 so it actually feels just natural to me. Now as to accuracy? With my handloads of a 250 grain Keith style semiwadcutter and a healthy load I used to shoot bowling pins at 100 yards easily with one. The 4" is not difficult to shoot at a distance. The drop at that range is 3 1/2" so it's not hard to adjust your point of aim. At 25 yards with a good load they'll print half dollar size groups all day.

[​IMG]

This is what I have now. Bought it a couple years ago to replace the one I was forced to sell. This is a M629-6 stainless model. Great shooter that cost as much as a Gibson LP, but worth it to me. The pistol below it is a 1956 model called the M&P (now they're called a Model 10) A super smooth shootin' .38 Spl. and was THE cop pistol many moons ago. In fact, that .38 was a constable's pistol in Australia for decades before it was replaced and sold and made it's way back to the US. It was used in Victoria and those guys have a reputation like our Texas Rangers. Ya don't cross 'em! Now if that pistol could talk. :hmm: :)

Alex_SG, Voxman, dbb and 1 other person like this.
  9. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

sweet.

10. Tobacco Worm

Yeah, I got a buddy that hunts hogs around here for fun and profit. He uses a .22 Short!:wow: When he saw me carrying that big .44 in my old PD rig when we went out to whack some hogs a couple years ago he chuckled and said "Uh, Wade, you think you got enough pistol there man?". Then he pulled out a Ruger Single Six .22 revolver and took out a Remington .22 Short and said that he kills hogs with one shot. I smiled and said OK. :dunno:

After a few hours in the woods with this guy he managed to drop three hogs all with a single shot to the head with that little popper. I downed two with my cannon. But true to his statement earlier he took 'em down with a single shot to the head with a .22 Short. If I hadn't seen it I'd never would believe it. :hmm:
    But to be very frank I would have felt next to helpless with such a small round. I always believed in big fat bullets. This guy now uses .22 CB Shorts! That's what I used to shoot field mice with, and he's shootin' 200 pound plus feral hogs with it! He's got more guts than I ever did!:ohno:

Crazy_8 and dbb like this.
  11. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

The M & P is a classic!

Well, that 4 inch barrel seems to do OK.....25 yards and you can shoot within a 2 inch radius, that's fine by me.

considering how much stopping power that big ass load of a 44 has!.

12. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Wade....I am very "into " bigger being better. But..........I like that my little .22lr guns and rifles are so quiet that you can....uhm kill a few folks and the neighbors never know....er.....uhm........perhaps I have said to much..............
    Never mind ... .44 cal and above is the way to go ;)

13. Tobacco Worm

Well true enough I do lean toward those that throw large chunks of lead. But what that fella does with a .22 CB Short with hogs is downright scarey to me!:ohno: I've hit hogs with some of my heavy ceder shafts with some serious broadheads and even sunk three into one hog and he refused to go down. He was dead but didn't know it! I hadda finish him off with the .44 as I was almost out of arrows and he was about to figure out where I was and he did have a serious "grouch on" too!:naughty: I couldn't imagine trying to stop a big wild hog with an underpowered reduced CB load of a .22 Short. That's like someone throwing a right cross at ya and you lean into it!:wow:But I do have to admit it's a quiet load, especially in a rifle. I've heard pellet guns that were louder. But I don't feel totally unarmed when I go for a "walk about" on my place and I strap on my Sig .22LR pistol. At least I got 10 to go as fast as I can touch 'em off and it's a tack-driver too.

eS.G. likes this.
  14. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I lean more toward the lower caliber "stealth" weapons.....maybe a Sicilian heritage "thing"........ :)
    I got yer back though my friend so ROCK on :)

Throw large lead I will snag the ones that "fall through the cracks" :)

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  15. Tobacco Worm

And did I tell ya that I got a new hand held power mixer?:hmm:
    [​IMG]
    Dat's da Happy Woim rite dare!:)

Tomorrow I bake more cupcakes and such. Maybe even something else too. Now that I got me a mixer it's gonna be baking all the time! No more wearing myself out with that spoon that I can't hold onto! :laugh2:

eS.G. and dbb like this.
  16. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Well I have been told I am half baked so BAKING ALL AROUND......lol

17. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

New kitchen gadget day is a happy day! You'll be amazed how light and fluffy your cakes will turn out now, powered mixers help so much with that. Top tip - beat the egg and sugar for at least 5 minutes, makes a great start to an even greater cake!

I'm considering one of these, to help me with the chopping:

[​IMG]

I have a food processor, but it's a bit big and a bit of a faff just for chopping some vegetables. This looks much easier.

18. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

Congratulations Wade! How many channels is this mixer?:naughty: Can I plug into the "frappe" setting? that one gives me a nice open airy tone!:)

When my Grandad bought Gramma a nice bread mixer many years back She said "Oh thank you Darwin, this will really cut down on my workload!"
    He said "No... it means you can make MORE bread every day!":laugh2:

Enjoy your new gadget Bro!:thumb:

eS.G. likes this.
  19. Tobacco Worm

Ah Shreddy, I knew someone was gonna be the wiseguy and go that route!:)
    Um, it's a 5 speed and weighs next to nuthin' so I can hang onto it and not have that feeling that I'm holding a Les Paul. (hadda say that since I always laugh at how folks think a LP is too heavy. Little sissy boys!:laugh2:) But it hums and I can't get it to work right when plugged into a power amp!:naughty:

Made me a fresh batch of cupcakes this morning and I gotta admit, even though I use an old hand powered coffee grinder and other non-powered gear, this mixer did make things go faster and easier. Now to see what I can do with it when I make my famous waffles!:fingersx:

I think I'm gonna see if I can date Betty Crocker. Might get some baking tips.:hmm:

shreddy bender likes this.
  20. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

You should go after Martha Stewart, she knows a thing or two about being rich! Heck she probably has a $10.00 mixer!