Not for purists... TeleSGcaster, Bigsby and Goldtop

El Marin

Reaction score
Madrid, Spain, EU, Earth, Solar system, Milky way
Well, I did it.

My 2001 Gibson Sg Standard Natural Burst needed a refret. Lots of gigs and bad life (or good life) so I sent it to the luthier to be refretted in Stainless Steel jumbo frets.

I was never very happy with the Natural Burst color. I bought the guitar because it was a good guitar, tried several SGs and that one was outstanding, but I was never happy with the "furniture burst"

During years, I swapped the factory pickups for two The Creamery Wide range "normal" humbucker sized, add a Bigsby with the towner system and finaly changed the bridge pickup for a Dimarzio Twang king, same pickup I use in my Telecaster, the real one.

So, while refretting I took the plunge and got it refin in goldtop. As the pickguard was dinged and scratched a lot, I made it to be checkered just to match the old hardware. Is a rara avis, I know, is not going to be every body's cup of tea but I like it

So... here she is. Isn't she gorgeous?

gDcZ536.jpg

zvYsGlK.jpg

N9igsh0.jpg

AFyMxDI.jpg

QjmiZkB.jpg

8cfrJ13.jpg

gSvALCL.jpg

b8CbZCj.jpg

W20Tvis.jpg

And here is she in action, last gig this very Friday

mMMX6Id.jpg

smitty_p

Reaction score
Well, I did it.

My 2001 Gibson Sg Standard Natural Burst needed a refret. Lots of gigs and bad life (or good life) so I sent it to the luthier to be refretted in Stainless Steel jumbo frets.

I was never very happy with the Natural Burst color. I bought the guitar because it was a good guitar, tried several SGs and that one was outstanding, but I was never happy with the "furniture burst"

During years, I swapped the factory pickups for two The Creamery Wide range "normal" humbucker sized, add a Bigsby with the towner system and finaly changed the bridge pickup for a Dimarzio Twang king, same pickup I use in my Telecaster, the real one.

So, while refretting I took the plunge and got it refin in goldtop. As the pickguard was dinged and scratched a lot, I made it to be checkered just to match the old hardware. Is a rara avis, I know, is not going to be every body's cup of tea but I like it

gDcZ536.jpg

zvYsGlK.jpg

N9igsh0.jpg

AFyMxDI.jpg

QjmiZkB.jpg

8cfrJ13.jpg

gSvALCL.jpg

b8CbZCj.jpg

W20Tvis.jpg

mMMX6Id.jpg

"Furnture burst"

I don't care who you are, that's funny, right there!

The guitar looks great, Marin.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Great job, looks great as a tool too. The finish checkering, warmth/cold shocks or random razor blade torture ?

Col Mustard

Reaction score
That looks like an instrument which is one of a kind.
...perhaps like yourself sir.

I'll bet it has a totally unique tone, not sounding like
anyone else's guitar. Another check in the plus column.

Very cool. My whole life has been dedicated to the confounding
of purists of all varieties. So I applaud your achievement. And
since you are stepping out with this instrument I say bravo.

Remember to drink only water on nights when you plan to
leap up and dance on the bar.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Love It! That guitar says "ready to rock". It also looks like if you were so unwise as to try to make a wall hanger out of it, that axe would get bored, tear up the couch, dump the kitchen garbage all around the house, and set fire to the drapes. :dude:

JimH

Reaction score
Outstanding! I love gold SGs, they are far too rare. If Gibson made one like that I'd buy it.

El Marin

Reaction score
"Furnture burst"

I don't care who you are, that's funny, right there!

The guitar looks great, Marin
To me, Natural burst looks like furniture, yes. Here is a "before" pic

SSTmO20.jpg

The finish checkering, warmth/cold shocks or random razor blade torture ?
Actually, I don't know. It was not finished by me. I was done by the luthier that refretted it.

Remember to drink only water on nights when you plan to
leap up and dance on the bar.
Hell nope... I jump to the bar and ask for a shot of Jack... and drink it handless, then I do the Chuck Berry on the bar and go back to the stage

Love It! That guitar says "ready to rock"
That is the idea

If Gibson made one like that I'd buy it.
Me too, so I had to make it

I forgot to post this... just for the hell of it, under the goldtop is.... GREEN, so it giver an older look to the goldtop, n ot so bright and when it wears it will appear below....

xo5SOdO.jpg

lcw

Reaction score
Well, I did it.

gDcZ536.jpg

zvYsGlK.jpg

N9igsh0.jpg

AFyMxDI.jpg

QjmiZkB.jpg

8cfrJ13.jpg

gSvALCL.jpg

b8CbZCj.jpg

W20Tvis.jpg

mMMX6Id.jpg
Diggin' it... love the gold 👍

smitty_p

Reaction score
Y'know, Marin, I know I've already commented, but the more I look at that guitar, the cooler it looks.

laza616

Reaction score
Furniture burst, hahah this one got me. I love that
If you want my honest opinion on your guitar and the story, pictures, here it is: awesome! Congratulations, you nailed it! The guitar has its own life and you took well care of it, now that beauty looks absolutely stunning, must sound great too, and that bar photograph? Coolness level 100

What i dont get is, how you managed to achieve these "aging" cracks on the finish? Is it from temperature changes or climate conditions or it was done on purpose? Usually these appear on the laquer of vintage instruments. Not saying i have anything against it, i love it actually, but just was curious if the luthier did this "relic" work on purpose or if it just appeared there
I have read that you could achieve this if you used compressed air on certain Area to really cool down the surface and then immediately use hair dryer on that it will make this crack in the finish
Gold SG is amazing

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
Well, I did it.

gDcZ536.jpg

zvYsGlK.jpg

N9igsh0.jpg

AFyMxDI.jpg

QjmiZkB.jpg

8cfrJ13.jpg

gSvALCL.jpg

b8CbZCj.jpg

W20Tvis.jpg

mMMX6Id.jpg
Nice. Nothing like a guitar that says, "YOU!" What do you find appealing about the DiMarzio Twang King that makes it a go to bridge pickup for you?

MR D

Reaction score
Well, I did it.

gDcZ536.jpg

zvYsGlK.jpg

N9igsh0.jpg

AFyMxDI.jpg

QjmiZkB.jpg

8cfrJ13.jpg

gSvALCL.jpg

b8CbZCj.jpg

W20Tvis.jpg

mMMX6Id.jpg
AWRIGHT YOU REALLY DID IT THIS TIME, NICE ONE !!!

The TOWNER SETUP is a GOOD ONE....I had a Lester that I put the exact as you did to the SG Standard.....it does what it does well.

Last edited:

El Marin

Reaction score
What do you find appealing about the DiMarzio Twang King that makes it a go to bridge pickup for you?

Well, there are others, more expensive, more vintage, more whatever but this one just does the job right. Is not very expensive and sounds as it should, a Telecaster bridge pickup. Is a tool, a good tool.

I get them cheap, around 40€ here in the EU and they work. What else should I need?

And for the sake of it, a couple of more pics in action last weekend:

Agww4gp.png

NzxLq4m.png

El Marin

Reaction score
What i dont get is, how you managed to achieve these "aging" cracks on the finish? Is it from temperature changes or climate conditions or it was done on purpose?

Well, it was done by the luthier who refin' it. I just told him "as hardware is really worn out by years or r'n'r, please, don't ,make it too shiny or new as it will not match the rest of hardware...

When I oppened the case I found that... I love. I have no idea how he did it but I like it and I just don't care, I just play the damn thing

smitty_p

Reaction score
Well, it was done by the luthier who refin' it. I just told him "as hardware is really worn out by years or r'n'r, please, don't ,make it too shiny or new as it will not match the rest of hardware...

When I oppened the case I found that... I love. I have no idea how he did it but I like it and I just don't care, I just play the damn thing

Well, it looks totally cool!

townerusa

Reaction score
ver
Well, I did it.

gDcZ536.jpg

zvYsGlK.jpg

N9igsh0.jpg

AFyMxDI.jpg

QjmiZkB.jpg

8cfrJ13.jpg

gSvALCL.jpg

b8CbZCj.jpg

W20Tvis.jpg

mMMX6Id.jpg