NPD - Digitech Bad Monkey

Discussion in 'Effects' started by 83 Blazer, Jul 4, 2014.

1. 83 Blazer

83 Blazer Well-Known Member

New Pedal Day!
    Finally took the plunge and picked up another overdrive pedal to run in tandem with my Behringer TO800 Vintage Tube overdrive. I went with the Bad Monkey for 2 reasons. Affordability and tone controls. being able to shape the bottom end was a real plus for me. So now I just need to get it to play nicely with the Behringer through the AC15 to give me pretty clean, slight crunch and crazy mayhem. I've read what people have said on videos and on forums about the BM sucking tone, but I'm happy how it sounds and I didn't have to spend 2 or 3 hundred bucks like you might have to on some pedals around here. These are all cheap and cheerful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Now Boys, let's play nicely together! Green and green on green.

[​IMG]
    Allright, you can all join in too.

eS.G. likes this.
  2. jeremy

jeremy Active Member

Congrats, I love my bad monkey. Think it sounds fantastic. If I cant seem to get a tone quite right its generally my go to just to give that little extra!

3. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

HNPD!!:applause:

Well done indeed! The Bad Monkey is a great stand alone pedal for some decent tube-like OD and a wonderful booster for others. As you've noted, the ability to dial in far greater tone range and bottom sets this apart from many of the other OD pedals on the market. I often use this unit in tandem with a RAT 2 distortion pedal with stunning results. I think you'll find that this pedal is a good solid performer and will be in use often as you grow to know it's capabilities in time.

And don't forget to take a peek at the Social Group for this pedal too. Though social groups tend to die quickly due to the lack of exposure being away from the main forum, there's some fun stuff to see there anyway. Join up if you've a mind to as we'll always welcome a new member of the "tribe". :naughty:

Again, HNPD!!

Slim Guitar and eS.G. like this.
  4. 83 Blazer

Cheers guys. I'm certainly looking forward to exploring what this green meany has to offer. Especially in tandem with another drive pedal. And I'll check out the social group too. Sounds interesting.

5. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Awesome congrats!!! Its o.k. to let the monkey near your pedals just keep it leashed in public! :-)

83 Blazer likes this.
  6. 83 Blazer

So, I have been out of town since I bought the Bad Monkey and haven't had a chance to plug it into the AC15 (I had a go through the headphones).

While I was away I had a tech give the faded the once over as I had a couple of things I wanted checked out, such as the installation of the PAF Joe and MoJoe PU's that were in it when I got it. All checked out ok and he tweaked the setup a bit and it plays great.

I've just had a chance to plug in with the BM while the family were out and all I can say is OMG! :wow:
    It sounded amazing. I had the gain cranked and the bass up a bit too and it had this incredible grinding chunk to it. I was thinking of taking out the DiMarzios and putting in Gibson PU's or something else i could afford, cos I wasn't that happy with them, but I may just be reconsidering that now. If only the guys in my band can put up with it!
    :dude:

Might have to take the Behringer out of the equation though, it sounds positively aneamic up against the Bad Monkey!

iblive likes this.
  7. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

Sounds like it's worth checking out, 83 Blazer. I'm a lookin for a sound clip real soon. There's a company in my town that makes the OCD pedal that many people recommend as a good all round pedal. How does this Bad Monkey compare? (Sorry, I'm a pedal-less guy, so it's all news to me).

8. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Got one too. I like it.

9. Tobacco Worm

Lead, the OCD is a distortion pedal. The Bad Monkey is an overdrive pedal. In short, the BM will not produce tons of distortion and give the impression that you're blowing up your speakers. Rather the BM gives you the tones and drive to produce something similar to a tube amp breaking up and also it's a great pedal to use as a booster to an already overdriven amp or pedal. I suppose the prime benefit of the BM pedal is that if one is a performer they can use this pedal to give a brief solo that "Bump" needed to get a tad louder but not go all muddy... To the bedroom player, it's an OD pedal that can give you good low end drive and tone without blowing out your windows! It can drive your gear well at lower volumes well. The ability to blend with the Low and High pots just make it super easy to dial in depth and detail many other OD pedals lack.

In side by side stuff, the BM beats the pants off the TS-9 OD pedal due to a more modern circuit and the addition of the two highly useful tone pots rather than the single filter-like pot on the TS-9, which has far too much midrange and clouds the signal for many folks taste. It's half the cost of the fabled TS-9 yet with twice the tone. What's not to like?:dunno:

10. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, Tobacco Worm, I've been wondering about these things.

11. Tobacco Worm

Well sir, pedals, like amps and other things are really open to interpretation of the current user. One may love a certain pedal while another will openly despise it. We all have our likes and dislikes really. Over the years I've had countless pedals and got to mess with tons of them at the shop when a new one came in. Though I play mostly clean now, I have to confess I am a dirt box junkie. But the two that never leave me are the RAT and the Bad Monkey. With those two I can get just about anything I desire in the world of OD and distortion.

83 Blazer and LeadFinger like this.
  12. Dreamscape

Dreamscape Active Member

Thats an unusual pickup combo in an SG but I think I like it :hmm:
    I have the same in my RG1570 & they sound awesome, would like to hear in an SG though.
    Congrats on the pedal.......

13. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Besides sounding nice the bonus for me was brand new it only cost 49 bucks.

14. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Was just about to mention that it does the same thing as an Ibanez TS9 or TS808 Tube Screamer, but Wade beat me to it... :hmm:
    I don't really need a Bad Monkey (even though I want one) as I have a real Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer circuit built into my amp. I'd love to A/B it with a Bad Monkey and see the difference, though! :dude:

15. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Basically Alex that is correct. You can go to You Tube and search comparison videos of the BM vs Tube Screamers. Pretty interesting actually.

I don't have a lot of unspoken for cash, so I don't have the luxury of buying up pedals and picking out what I like best. I kind of have to get it right or at least close first try. It's thru the You Tube videos that convinced me to go the BM route. Price was just to attractive vs what a TS would have set me back.

Alex_SG likes this.
  16. 83 Blazer

Lead, there's been a few replies since that have addressed this and I haven't got any way to record the sound I have, so I'll point you in the direction of Phil X on Fretted Americana's YouTube channel if you haven't already checked him out. The earlier videos highlight the Bad Monkey a lot and although the sound isn't as great as the later ones they do give you an idea of what it can do. And if you look through them, there are some tasty vintage SG's amongst them.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3NKTKBKjHM]1964 Gibson SG Standard Part 1 01122 - YouTube[/ame]

Cheers mate. I didn't even know anything about these pickups until I saw the guitar advertised on Gumtree. I would have preferred a more mellow pickup as most of the music i play with my band needs them, but these sound great with overdrive/distortion.

Alex, I reckon that with the tone section on the TS amp you would be pretty much covered for what the BM can do. Mind you, there's always room for one more pedal....or amp....or guitar, isn't there?