NSGD - 2007 SG Standard

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by ZombieLloyd, Jan 13, 2022.

1. ZombieLloyd

ZombieLloyd New Member

Hey guys, so I got my new SG a few hours ago and I haven't been able to stop playing it. I love this thing and I should've bought one years ago. The neck feels different to how I'd expect. It's pretty wide (the widest neck I've held) and is somewhat thin, great for the faster stuff I play. It brought back memories of the one my brother used to have.

I love the tone. I'm not good at describing tone very well, but it sounds good for everything I like to play (metal, occasionally rock and punk). I'm probably going to put it in D standard when I have time to change the strings on the weekend.

Surprisingly, there's very little neck dive. I keep hearing that SGs dive like crazy, but my Les Paul CM has more neck dive than the SG.

Okay, time for pictures haha. I couldn't get the file size small enough to upload here so I uploaded them to Imgur. https://imgur.com/a/lTCHj25 Apologies for the messy room haha.

2. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Active Member

Congrats, man. The aughts were a good decade for Gibson.

ZombieLloyd likes this.
  3. ZombieLloyd

ZombieLloyd New Member

I guess if I ever get another chance to buy another Gibson, I'll look for a 2000s one again then. I've just spent the whole day playing the SG, it's so good. It'll probably take over as my main guitar now haha.

4. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Active Member

Don't be surprised if it does. When you go shopping again for another aughts SG, look for an SG Classic with P-90s. Great guitar. IMG_0505.jpg

cerebral gasket and football27 like this.
  5. ZombieLloyd

ZombieLloyd New Member

I would have bought one of those first if I'd seen one. It's my absolute dream SG, I was originally trying to hunt down the 2016 Standard P90 (I think that's the model name) but I never ended up finding one.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  6. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Congrats on the 2007 SG Standard.

When you mention the neck feels wide, do you have other Gibsons to compare to?

Modern SG have 1-11/16 nut width with 12” radius fretboard. If you have two necks with the same nut width, a Slim Taper neck can feel wide and flat compared to a thick rounded neck with lots of shoulder.

For a P-90 SG, I really like the SG Classics and have one of each color. If only the necks had more thickness and shoulder at the 1st fret area and a wraparaound bridge, they would be the ideal SG to me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  7. ZombieLloyd

ZombieLloyd New Member

I was mainly comparing to my other guitars because they all have narrower necks (Washburn and Dean Vs). But yeah, I have that Gibson Les Paul CM we talked about in my introduction post from a couple of days ago. Although I didn't go back and forth to directly compare, I was too busy with the SG. Maybe it's just the position of the neck; I'll do a more direct comparison when I get home from work today.

cerebral gasket likes this.