Nut width and neck thickness of a '65 SG

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Danelectro, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Danelectro

Danelectro New Member

Do all '65 SGs have a 1-11/16" wide nut?

I'm imagine there's a lot of variance in the neck thickness of the '65 SGs, but are they typically thick/medium/thin?

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

My EPI G400 has that nut width. Not at all sure what you mean by that second question. Can you be a bit more specific about what you are measuring, and what each of those means?

3. Danelectro

Danelectro New Member

I'm referring to the thickness of the neck measured from the fretboard to the backside of the neck. Typically people use measurements just behind the 1st fret and behind the 12th fret as a gauge to get an idea of the neck thickness.
    Looking at the 1st fret measurement, I would consider a caliper measurement of around .800"-.840" to be a thin (1960 profile) neck, .850"-.910" to be a medium ('59 profile) neck, and anything over .910" to be a thick neck.

4. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

1965 SG Std specs:
    Chrome parts instead of nickel, pickguard now surrounds the pickups thus eliminating the need for separate pickup surrounds. Peghead angle changes from 17 degrees to 14 degrees, nut width narrows from 1 11/16" to 1 9/16" or 1 5/8". 1965 models can have any one or all of those changes (they didn't happen all at once during 1965).

5. Kevin James

Kevin James Active Member

The early 65's are 100% 64 Specs. Wide neck, 17 degree headstock angle, small control cavity route stepped heel with "lip" and all nickel plated parts.

Some time in mid/late 65 these features changed. From what I have seen the nut width and headstock angle changed first as I have seen several examples with the narrow nut (starting closer to 1 5/8 and by the end of 65 they were all closer to 1 9/16) and 14 degree headstock angle but still with the small control cavity route and stepped heel with "lip". By the end of 65 the large control route appeared and the "lip" on the stepped heel was gone. The nickel parts changed to chrome but ven late 65 I have seen guitars with a mix of both nickel and chrome.

My best guess is that all of the changes appeared within the 4XXXXXX series serial numbers because every 65 I have looked at in the 3XXXXX was pure 64 spec and every 65 I have seen in the 5XXXXX is pure late 65 features.

I personally have two 65's, 269262 which is all 64 spec and 512972 which is all late 65 spec (mostly chrome parts but the neck pickup is pre-T with a Nickel cover).

guildstarfire likes this.
  6. Kevin James

As to thickness, that will very from one to the next but most are medium to thick, some more rounded than others. They do taper and can still be fairly slim front to back towards the nut but nice and chunky toward the heel.

Personally I find both the early and late 65 necks to be quite comfortable regardless of nut width.

Here's some pics for you.

Early 65, SN 269292, all 64 Spec.

All nickel parts:
    [​IMG]

wide 1 /11/16 nut with plastic nut and wide bevel trussrod cover:
    [​IMG]

Small original style control cavity route:
    [​IMG]

Stepped heel with "lip":
    [​IMG]

Late 65 SN 512972:

Mostly chrome parts however neck pup cover is nickel:
    [​IMG]

Narrow nut width, nut is corian, narrow bevel trussrod cover:
    [​IMG]

Large control cavity route:
    [​IMG]

Stepped heel, no "lip":
    [​IMG]

And side by side showing later 14 degree and earlier 17 degree headstock angles:
    [​IMG]

Hope that helps!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  7. Kevin James

The large guard did not appear until some time in 66. Early 66's are identical to late 65's and the first change in 66 was the long heel. Then the large batwing guard appeared second.

8. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

My '65 Jr. is a 274082..which is '64 spec, the pot codes are 137 65 04!! But...has a stepped heel with NO lip..and the smaller control cavity cover..., but has the 1 11/16 nut..and had a chrome vibrola on it when I got it..but that could've been changed..[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Kris Ford

Not sure if it counts, but the '65 EB0 342205 has the no lip heel as well, the small control cavity, an absolutely wide ass nut LOL, BUT Chrome hardware and small bevel TRC...so god knows how and when they factored in all of the changes..:hmm::hmm:

10. Kevin James

For some strange reason the JR's never had a lip on the stepped heel, only the Special, Standard and Customs had the lip on the stepped heel. Yours looks exactly as I would expect it to.

Kris Ford likes this.
  11. Kris Ford

Good to know..:thumb:

12. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Probably because without the rout for the neck pickup Gibson felt the joint was strong enough. The lip gives a bit more gluing surface with the rout. :)

Kris Ford likes this.
  13. Kris Ford

Can't argue that logic! But how then does my EB0 with what would be Gibson's biggest pickup route ever, right under fretboard, have the same exact joint as the Junior?:hmm: (and always was..no lip..) You'd think it being a bass, there would be even more pressure exerted if that was the reason...

14. Kris Ford

Never had the lip either..:hmm:Gibson EB Bass Guitar Heel Shapes

15. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Yes, a big pickup rout, but then the neck extends into the body from the 17th fret to the (nominal) 21st fret position. So that's about 60mm of neck beneath the fretboard that is glued, plus any tongue that is left below the pickup.Pictures I've seen of Gibson and Epiphone basses from the early '60s suggest the neck tenon extends a further 20+ mm into the body under the pickup. :)

Kris Ford likes this.
  16. Kris Ford

I will check soon, and post pics..:thumb: