NVGD First SG, vintage or otherwise

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Pageburst, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Pageburst

Pageburst Member

Just picked up this beautiful all original including the frets 1962 SG Les Paul a few days ago. It’s is such good condition that I almost feel bad playing it.

Beautiful clean tones especially in the neck position. The tone actually feels somewhere between a P90 equipped Les Paul and a PAF equipped Les Paul. I actually like the sideways vibrola and think it makes the guitar look much more aesthetically pleasing. While the SG may never be as heralded as its earlier Les Paul brethren, it’s a guitar that definitely has its own charms.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oddly enough, I don’t think I ever owned an SG. I’m more of a Les Paul guy
    [​IMG]

2. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

That is one very fine guitar. Nice stash of LPs too! Plus an honorable mention for the amps and cabs.
    Edit: Can we get a rundown on the LP line up?

cheshiergrin and Pageburst like this.
  3. Bob L

Bob L Member

Remarkable condition! There must be an interesting story behind that guitar and how you acquired it.

Pageburst likes this.
  4. football27

football27 Member

That is a beautiful SG. Enjoy for sure!

Pageburst likes this.
  5. Pageburst

Pageburst Member

Thank you. Sure, here are some clearer pictures. They are all great, each with its own distinct voice. In the first picture, the two in the middle are probably my favorites currently but its highly subjective. The last one with grovers is my “beater”
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was looking to buy a 53 Goldtop and almost pulled the trigger on one but the significant wear marks around the cowboy chord region in the rosewood fret board just put me off.

Don’t get me wrong, I love a beat up guitar. But finger wear divots in a rosewood fretboard is just gross to me.

So, a really nice 62 came up at Cartervintage and I figured why not. I love Derek Trucks’ tone and playing. Angus, maybe the most notable SG player, is an absolute savage and of course EC in cream. The fool, while not quite the mythic Beano LP, is still a helluva toneful ax.

I was surprised when i got the guitar at just how pristine it is. With the exception of the strings. These have must’ve been on the guitar for years because the e string after repeatedly going out of tune just snapped. New strings solved the tuning issue and the guitar sounded significantly better. I have some grease on order as the the tuners are stiff like they hadn’t been wound in years.

The only downside is that the guitar is so nice, not to mention light and almost delicate feeling I am hesitant to really dig in. I bought it because to me a vintage guitar is a piece of history you can enjoy and hopefully pass on. I had thought there would be more wear. Also i keep hearing how fragile the heel is on these guitars. Anyway, im digging the SG, though utterly cliche, it is similar yet different than an LP.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Steve D, SG John and Chuteboxehero like this.
  6. Bob L

Bob L Member

It appears that there isn't any fret wear or marks on the guard. Amazing!

Pageburst likes this.
  7. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

Looks great, as do the Lesters and JTM.

:cheers:

Pageburst likes this.
  8. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

Man, you don't do things halfway. You decide to get your first SG so you get a pristine '62! And then pair it with an amazing collection of Les Pauls. What a collection! Thanks for sharing some good stuff to drool over :smile:

Pageburst likes this.
  9. Pageburst

Pageburst Member

Thanks everyone for the kind replies.

10. Pageburst

Pageburst Member

lol Thanks Steve. i think early 60s SGs still represent something of a vintage bargain. I wanted a vintage Gibson and i couldn’t be happier with this SG. With players as brilliant and diverse as Duane Allman, Eric Clapton, Mick Taylor, Angus Young and Derek Trucks, I’m realizing the SG is as expressive as it is versatile.

11. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

Some other SG players, it's a very versatile axe:
    Frank Zappa
    Pete Townshend
    Samantha Fish
    Sister Rosetta Tharpe
    Ed King
    George Harrison
    Mick Jagger
    You!

Pageburst likes this.
  12. cheshiergrin

cheshiergrin Active Member

Gorgeous and congrats, BTW if that LP is your idea of a "beater" then you and I have very different ideas of what a "beater " is. :hmm: :D

Pageburst likes this.
  13. Pageburst

Pageburst Member

Lol, thank you chesh. It’s the one in the last two pictures. Don’t get me wrong it’s a great guitar but its got so many dings scratches dents, not to mention a good amount of fret wear that the term beater is quite appropriate. Oddly enough, It’s a guitar i can never part with, partly because it sounds great but partly because the wear is so personal to me. Idk, it’s hard to explain.

Anyway, i’m glad i stumbled on the SG. And while there is sonic overlap between an SG an LP and a 335, each type has it’s own charms.

cheshiergrin likes this.