NVGD: My First Vintage! 1969 Gibson SG

Kraftybob

Reaction score
Wow, what a beautiful guitar! Congratulations and the best of luck with your shoulder.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Wow & wow!! You lucky son of gun! Did you get a killer deal for it?

I think I got a killer deal for the condition and a few extras. Came in a very rugged travel case with wheels and the seller shipped the original
case separately. Also got some original case candy that's hard to find and expensive!

Elliott Winslow

Reaction score
Interesting. I have that very guitar. S/N 007383.
"Your guitar was made at the Kalamazoo Plant, MI, USA in 1967
Production Number: 7383" (acc. to the Gibson lookup site).
I stuck the Grovers on myself, but stupidly replaced the tremolo bar with some flat bottom that some jackass shop owner in St. Louis county said used to belong to Johnny Winter. (Boy was I gullible! (or was I?))
Got it from my buddy in South county when he got a Strat, if I recall. We're still in touch.
Same case! Same everything (although it's been 48 years since I looked at the electronics).
Let's just say mine is a "bit" more played than yours!
and -- what a great guitar!!
=e

Jezclayton

Reaction score
That's a piece of beauty and a real collectors piece. Have to say that, if it was mine I don't think I would dare play it.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Interesting. I have that very guitar. S/N 007383.
"Your guitar was made at the Kalamazoo Plant, MI, USA in 1967
Production Number: 7383" (acc. to the Gibson lookup site).
I stuck the Grovers on myself, but stupidly replaced the tremolo bar with some flat bottom that some jackass shop owner in St. Louis county said used to belong to Johnny Winter. (Boy was I gullible! (or was I?))
Got it from my buddy in South county when he got a Strat, if I recall. We're still in touch.
Same case! Same everything (although it's been 48 years since I looked at the electronics).
Let's just say mine is a "bit" more played than yours!
and -- what a great guitar!!
=e

Is that yours in your Avatar? Looks like it. I have tried to contact Gibson for detailed info on mine, but they are not doing that during Covid...

The easy dater states:

Your guitar was made at the
Kalamazoo Plant, MI, USA
in 1966 or 1969
Production Number: 801563

Brooklyn Zeke

Reaction score
Nice! Looks like my '70 SG Standard I bought in '70. They sold for $225.00 then, in the NYC area. The '70 model had "MADE IN USA" debossed into the back of the headstock beneath the debossed S/N. There is also a volute at the back, base of the headstock. It also has a dotted i in the Gibson inlay, and the b and the o are closed. The heel joint at the body is also different from your '69. May you heal quickly, and play this instrument well!

Huntroll

Reaction score
Be careful with that whammy bar !
You don't want to snap the neck off !
I would take it off and keep it in my sock drawer along w/ the screw.
That things 's a national treasure !
Keep it away from any heat source, it could implode.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Be careful with that whammy bar !
You don't want to snap the neck off !
I would take it off and keep it in my sock drawer along w/ the screw.
That things 's a national treasure !
Keep it away from any heat source, it could implode.

Good idea, I don't use it anyway...

ruster1

Reaction score
I think I got a killer deal for the condition and a few extras. Came in a very rugged travel case with wheels and the seller shipped the original
case separately. Also got some original case candy that's hard to find and expensive!
Thank God they did not ship that in the case.. no neck support at all..(you can see that the nut and bridge get all the pressure in that case form the upholstery.. Would have been terrifying on an airplane or FEDEX truck for that matter.. GREAT find.. worth ever penny in that condition.. awesome..!!

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Thank God they did not ship that in the case.. no neck support at all..(you can see that the nut and bridge get all the pressure in that case form the upholstery.. Would have been terrifying on an airplane or FEDEX truck for that matter.. GREAT find.. worth ever penny in that condition.. awesome..!!

The seller was a knowledgeable guy and knew better than to ship in the original case. He bought that flight case to make sure there were no issues. I was supposed to mail the case back on his dime, but he decided to let me keep it in addition to the original case. Great experience all the way around!

ruster1

Reaction score
The seller was a knowledgeable guy and knew better than to ship in the original case. He bought that flight case to make sure there were no issues. I was supposed to mail the case back on his dime, but he decided to let me keep it in addition to the original case. Great experience all the way around!
What a find!.. those T-tops must sing.. don't wear any buckles while playing that museum piece.. lol, curious how do you find the neck/nut profile on that one.. My 1976 with the narrow nut and rounded neck feels great to me.. sits in the palm well even the open chord area is a but cramped with the narrow nut..

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
What a find!.. those T-tops must sing.. don't wear any buckles while playing that museum piece.. lol, curious how do you find the neck/nut profile on that one.. My 1976 with the narrow nut and rounded neck feels great to me.. sits in the palm well even the open chord area is a but cramped with the narrow nut..

I love the neck, it's nice and fat, but not a baseball bat. The narrow nut doesn't really bother me either. I really like everything about this SG. The pickups are fantastic and I've never played any that sound better.

This SG is going to be a home player only and I'm very careful not to do anything to damage such a perfect finish. It's a real treasure!

Latest posts