Offer price for 60s SG Melody Maker

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Marc1kim, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Marc1kim

Marc1kim New Member

My buddy from work recently acquired this 1960s SG melody from a deceased family member. What would be a fair selling/offer price?

Features early gen chainsaw case. Bridge was converted to wrap around, humbucker added, as well as Grover? Style tuners. It has a headstock break but repair seems solid and well done. Any info on putting a value on it would be greatly appreciated.

Resized_20210719_165713.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    Well, it is a long way from original, so there is no "antique" value. Pickup and knobs are also new. If it is a good player I would have thought something in the $500 range would be fair.

Biddlin and Marc1kim like this.
  3. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

That's about what I was thinking as well. If I were able to play it and everything seemed in order, I would consider paying about $500, but not a lot more without some very good reason. If I was not able to test drive it, I would be nervous paying even that. It is an interesting instrument though, and I would definitely give it a good going over if I saw it for sale somewhere. I love playing and caring for these sorts of instruments which may not be the "most desirable" for some reason, but still offer a lot to love for the player/non -investor.

Marc1kim likes this.
  4. Marc1kim

Marc1kim New Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm hoping to add this one to my arsenal hopefully everything works out.

5. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan New Member

It needs a compensated bridge

cerebral gasket likes this.
  6. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

I would pay extra attention to the scale length there and make sure it can actually intonate correctly with a compensated bridge.

7. donepearce

I fitted a Pigtail bridge to mine. it has individual saddles and intonates nicely

8. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

It has the wrong bridge type for that bridge post configuration.

The uncompensated bridges are designed to be installed at an angle in relation to the pickup.

The compensated lightning bar bridge is designed to be installed parallel to the pickup. Be sure to get the one for a wound G.

9. donepearce

Just do it right. Pigtail

external-content.duckduckgo.jpg

10. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Never had any any issues doing it right.
    Lightning Bar.

[​IMG]

11. donepearce

OK, but definitely option B, not A. Actually my PRS uses a lightning bar and it intonates perfectly.

12. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Well... might have been a bit neater, imo.
    1dtlnkbk.jpg
    $500 usd would be my last offer. I think I'd start a $350, and for a buddy that's the price
    I'd be asking, too.

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  13. donepearce

Fair enough. Not the tidiest repair, just make sure there is not a trace of movement in it.

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  14. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

+1, the repair should be 100% tight, no movement at all. Headstock repairs are not a deal breaker, and if done properly can be stronger than new. If the repair isn't tight, it is as good as broken and should be evaluated as such.

One thing I would also consider is the hardshell case. The "chainsaw cases" are not the most popular, and ugly as home made sin, but damn if they aren't tough. My first electric guitar was a 1978 "the Paul" which I bought used in the mid '80s. It came with one of those. I was not impressed with the looks of a plastic case, and would have replaced it if I hadn't just spent my limit on the instrument and a small amp. Long story short, that case has been through hell, but doesn't show it and has protected the guitar like a champ for over 40 years. I would actually like to get a couple more of these cases for moderate road use and gigging. They are pretty darn tough.

As Bidden says, $350 is a pretty good starting offer for the guitar, and go up from there based on how it feels and what is included.

15. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan New Member

Chainsaw case asking prices vary from $200-$400 on reverb. I’d say it adds 100-150.

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  16. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

check reverb. I'd guess that seller could easily get $1k for that guitar even with repair and mods. the SG melody maker has to be thousands of times more desirable than either of the symmetrical double cut mm body styles. And those are asking close to $2k.

Chuteboxehero likes this.