Okay first audio interface so how......

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by captcoolaid, Feb 21, 2012.

1. captcoolaid

captcoolaid New Member

Do I get it to record with either reaper or Audacity. Tried earlier but it would not play back. I feel like a freaking idiot here. Thanks.

2. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

Hard to say for definite, not knowing what produces your sound.

You need to go into your audio control panel/mixer, and choose which inputs
    you want to use for recording and playback.

For instance, if your audio interface is plugged into "Line-in 1", then that's your recording source.

If you want to hear what your doing, you also need to allow that input in
    the playback section of your mixer.

If you're using USB, hopefully that choice will be there also.

Some more info on your system would help.

Leendrix likes this.
  3. captcoolaid

captcoolaid New Member

Got it working. I needed to have the Line 6 as my record and playback. Thanks for responding tho.

Leendrix likes this.
  4. cooljuk

cooljuk Member

Hey Cap. Don't forget to mess with your buffer settings, especially if you have any latency issues. Generally, you want them as small as possible without any snap crackle pop.

Feel free to hit me up about this stuff. I know recording equipment pretty well. Not so much Reaper or Audacity software specifically, but the hardware and principles.

Leendrix likes this.
  5. captcoolaid

captcoolaid New Member

The only issue now James is when I record with the headphones on it is almost like every note is hit twice, I guess that is called latency. But when play back it is fine, so I just do it with out the phones on. It plays back fine. Now I just need to figure out how to do multi trakk stuff so I can do cleans and when it is time to kick the shite out of it have that part come in. I may try it later today and post something up.

6. captcoolaid

captcoolaid New Member

Okay so I got it recorded but I need mp3 converter. I tried to download the lame but it is a Dll file so I downloaded it and dragged it onto reaper, but when I try and render the file it shows no output and file error. Is there another software download or am I doing something wrong.

7. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

8. cooljuk

cooljuk Member

Ya, the "doubling" is likely latency. Under your audio preferences in Reaper or the interface settings for your interface there should be a buffer setting with some numbers ranging from maybe 6ms - 6400ms or so. Set it as low as it will go without stuttering or having snaps and pops in the live audio playback. As you add more tracks and effects, you may have up bump the buffer settings up higher and live with a little more latency.

Are you using amp simulators in Reaper or are you running a mic'd amp or simulator like a POD into the interface? If you're not using your computer to make your sound, and just to capture your sound like a multitrack tape machine, you can use what's called "direct monitoring" and monitor at the input to your interface rather than at the output of it. That bypasses your computer entirely and gives you basically no latency at all.

Am I making sense? I'm dead tired. Signing out for the night now.

9. captcoolaid

captcoolaid New Member

James I switched to Audacity and all the problems are now gone. I record now as an MP3 with the Lame converter. Dropped and installed directly in as an EXE file. The latency issue is non exsistent as well. And it is at 4120 which was recommended by the software. I got the Beta version and so far so good. I did my first multi track last night. I will pot it in another thread so we can start getting a thread count going here and maybe draw a few more folks in.

Leendrix likes this.
  10. Leendrix

Leendrix New Member

Glad it's working out. :thumb: Audacity is great.