Old School recording. It's all I really know.

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Tobacco Worm, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Guys,

I am not a digital kinda guy. I can't post pictures or even insert a link on the forum. I have no digital amps or pedals in my set up. I am really from the old school and know nothing about digital stuff at all. With that in mind, I still use analog systems and tape. That must send a shiver up a few spines, but yes, I record on tape! Use an old SM57 and a clone, the GLS Audio ES-57 mikes.

Do any of you use tape, or am I the only T-Rex still roaming the earth? I use cassette now, as my old reel to reel system was stolen in a burglary a few years ago and cannot find a replacement for that anymore...But I was just wondering if there is still anyone else that can't use computers, digital recording devices, and stuff like that and use tape?

Thanks,

Wade, still stuck in the 60's!:wave:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
    old mark likes this.
  2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Wade, I work with a Yamaha 4 track cassette deck frequently . I can mix it down to my Korg D-8 or lexicon alpha for digitization . Recently I got a Tascam DR-07 mkII digital recorder . It is incredibly easy to use . You oughta check one of this type out . I love it . Biddlin ;>)/[​IMG]

3. Tobacco Worm

You sure that thing isn't a stun gun?:)

Oh, I'm happy with what I have. I know what to do with it. Digital stuff mekes me nuts! Really. There's a block or something going on. I understand eletronics well. My motto is "I fear no circuit.". Just not digital devices, on the working end. This may sound strange, but it's true.

Case in point. I was talked into buying a Fender Mustang II amp a few months ago. Was told how it was this and that, and could reproduce any amp I wanted with as many effects as I could dial in. My buddy, Bill, the computer whiz, had to set it up for me. I couldn't make head nor tail with it. I was constantly fighting the thing. Never could understand the recording stuff that came with it either. Total Greek to me. Trying to get the right sound from that thing was like trying to program a missle launch! I sold it to Bill the next week for half the price and was glad to get it outta my house! Went straight back to good old analog stuff and tubes and good solid state stuff.

No, I'm just fine in my little analog world. I like it that way. Simple. Direct. Genuine. The only whistles and bells in my place are when I hear the tea kettle or the bell on the toaster/oven telling me it's pizza time! That's all good for this oldman.:)

I was just wondering if there is anyone else like me that still uses tape and shuns the digital stuff. But thanks for the advice. I always listen. Might not understand, but I do listen.

Wade

4. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I am now a Pro tools user, but I love tape and cut my recording teeth on a 4 track Teac reel-to-reel.

I must admit, as much as I love tape,I do use that "undo" feature a lot.

Biddlin likes this.
  5. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Computer illiterate here.
    Rooted firmly in the Jurassic period.

47 year old guitar >-> rat >-> analog delay >-> 47 year old tube amplifier.

Analog mixing boards too. You can NOT cut the highs on channel 14
    on the fly if you have to scroll through 4 menues to get to the "dial".
    Once you get to the "dial" you have to mouse over it and hit an arrow
    button or spin a trackball or jiggle a joystick. It seems that just
    reaching up and turning a real dial on channel 14 is faster. Talking
    about live sound here. Things happen fast.

As far as recording goes, I can't say because it's been quite a while
    since I've engineered anything in a studio. The last time I edited a
    recording I used a razor blade and a splicing block. If I recall correctly
    the Earth was flat back then too.

(Yes, I still have a turntable:))

Tobacco Worm and Biddlin like this.
  6. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I started out with reel to reel many, many years ago. Wish I still had some of those old reels if only so I could do some flashbacks to the old band days. I then did cassette recording for years and actually liked it alot. I went digital in the 90s though and have never looked back. It is just too convenient to be able to do endless takes and have all the handy editing features that digital allows.

funny thing though is I still use the same shure 57 and 58 mics that I have liked for decades.

Biddlin likes this.
  7. Biddlin

"The last time I edited a
    recording I used a razor blade and a splicing block. If I recall correctly
    the Earth was flat back then too."
    A few months ago, the son of a bandmember who's passed came to me with a box of her recordings and a billion year old Wollensack reel to reel, with the fold-out "Stereo" speakers, and the glowing green eye sound level display . Of course the tapes were deteriorated and when the first one broke, and I pulled out what the kids probably thought was a heroin rig, the look on their faces when I spliced that old acetate was like Houdini had just climbed out of the milk bottle . Quite likely the last time I'll ever use that skill, but like my cheat books of songs no one's requested since colour tv, nice to have .

8. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Biddlin, I have a similar model Tascam and it is wonderful for general use, band practice, writing, etc.

They can record in both mp3 and wav mode and the sound is not bad at all. I've also edited the tracks in a DAWS for further "sweetening".

Biddlin likes this.
  9. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I too still have a turntable and old vinyl. I never know when I'll need it.

Editing tape with razor blades, ah, my distant past. Frankly that part I can skip.

As for live sound, real-time knobs, etc. I had that same issue with synth/keyboard makers, it took a while for them to go back to some hands-on controls again.

Mixing live sound on a digital board is possible, but only if it has a big control surface like a real analog board, all the knobs and faders available by grabbing them.

However, I do like the digital virtual gear like effects, you get tons of them and no ugly rack to wire up and connect.

Biddlin likes this.
  10. stdio

stdio Member

Records, and analog stuff in general, really does sound better. There are analog-only snobs (the kind of people you'd love to prove wrong) but there's truth there.

Digital music is just way easier though, in a lot of ways.

11. Biddlin

"(Yes, I still have a turntable:))"
    Moi aussi !, as we used to say in the Légion étrangère Français/Canada . Anyone have more than five Sgt. Pepper's in their cabinet ? I don't know how many copies of Jeff Beck's double set I've worn out . Like the iron frame piano was revolutionary for its time,and will soon be relegated to museums and universities, audio tape and vinyl will soon be like Edison's cylindrical recorder , just as Ipods will be alien to my grandchildren .

12. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Your grandchildren will all have the intra bicuspid telephone implant and
    the intra cochlear music listening implant. Not to mention the subdermal
    credit card implant (which already exists by the way).

Biddlin likes this.
  13. Biddlin

" Not to mention the subdermal
    credit card implant (which already exists by the way)."
    Destined to spawn the greatest GAS epidemic since Elvis .

14. Tobacco Worm

Now I did have a wad of CD's (around 250 or so) but they too were stolen by the flea bitten crackheads! Never caught 'em either. Would like to as I have something I'd like to give them though....but that's another story folks.

BUT!! My old Kenwood system, complete with the turntable, cassette player/ recorder...and...wait for it....Panasonic 8 Track player/recorder are live and well!

So no more CD's in my place. but there's about 350 cassettes, 50 or more 8 Tracks, and well over 450 LP's for my listening pleasure.

Yeah, I'm past 60. Hate digital anything. Love analog. My rig is all analog. In fact I got a saying and it goes like this: "I don't do digital. It'll give you stomach cancer."

So, in closing, I guess that I'm not the ONLY one that still lives in the swamps with dinosaurs!! Cool! Even it I was, I'd still proudly proclaim that I am an analog man and will be until I fold up and croak. Until then, I'll keep doing recordings on a 4 track tape and enjoy myself.

Wade, Still stuck in the 60's and loving it!

Alex_SG likes this.
  15. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I draw the line there for sure.

Hey, I'm not certain analog sounds "better". The frequency response and headroom and signal-to-noise ratio is a lot better with quality digital.

16. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I have to agree with David... aint nobody going to make me carry a mark in my body.

Re vinyl, I still love it. I know this is a story told a million times but I had a massive collection of classic rock albums. When I went to college, my Mom sold them in a garage sale for about a quarter a piece. :( If only I could have held on to all those cool albums... it was pretty much every rock band from the 60s and early 70s. I can also say I actually wore some of those albums out listening to them so much. Beatles and the Who especially.

Karathas likes this.
  17. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Huh! I wore out a lot of the same albums. When the wife and I married (32 years ago) we picked out the best condition LP's from our collections when we had the same record. Some of the Beatles' stuff was worn out in both collections.

ORF - it's not the mark per se as much as this - I've spent years eating organic food, free-range no hormone meats, avoiding serious big pharma medications
    (the kind with ads from law firms asking if you have had problems with such and such and would like to sue), and not going the wireless/cell phone/ smart meter route.. The LAST thing I want is a RFID tag inside of me.

Well, one of the last things....that's a big list.

18. Tobacco Worm

Well it appears that Tony M and I are the last of the breed. That's fine be me. Digital doesn't sit well with me. I have no idea what a DAWS or whatever it is. MP3 stuff makes no sense to me as well. Just barly understood how to use a CD player. In fact I used a Playstation 1, hooked to my Kenwood analog stereo to play those things. But since they all got stolen, it makes little difference now I suppose. Back to tape and records. Good enough for me! I'm not a tone snob or anything like that. I'm just old and don't understand the stuff today at all!

Tony M, it sounds like you and I are two pockets on the same shirt! Most likely one made a long time ago:thumb:

Wade

19. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

So it would seem.

20. gtone

gtone Well-Known Member

Still have/use my old Yamaha 4-track cassette for the most part, my Zoom if I want something quick'n'dirty in the digital realm.

Biddlin likes this.