Old School recording. It's all I really know.

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Tobacco Worm, Sep 16, 2012.

1. old mark

old mark Active Member

I have a 70's cassette stereo recording deck and 2 70's Shure PE 515 mics, as well as 2 Pioneer turntables and tuners along with HK speakers for each the size of a small refrigerator. Someday I might just put some of that stuff all together and do some old style recording with it...I had an Olympus digital camera for about 3 years and could never understand the instruction book...

mark

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  2. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go back to reel to reel but I still have a thing for old school vinyl. Don't even know what it really is but when I get to hear old rock albums played on a good record player, it just sounds soooo good to me. Even the pops and hiss are part of it I think. Maybe it is just familar since I spent so many hours listening to them that way growing up.

3. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

I too have collected albums throughout the years and have a collection of over 300 vinyl discs. And of course a turntable. Strangley enough I've saw in the store before, USB turntables (turntables that connect via USB connection)...a mixture of old & new technology!

4. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Member

I use a DAW (Sonar and Reaper, depending on the project) but I am pretty old school with the way I use them, no copy and paste, quantizing or anything like that. I just mic the amp, press record and go. If I mess up one take I just go back and do it again, no computer tricks for me.

So I am pretty much using my DAW as a glorified tape recorder. It is a lot more practical to use a computer these days though, it's great to to have my mixer, effects, etc all inside a computer. I already have too many cables in my guitar rig alone!!

5. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

I don't even know what a DAW is. Biddlin tried to get me to understand that a small digital thing that looked like it was from Star Trek could record tons of stuff and all. I was so confused that I just sat here in front of this goofy computer looking at the picture of that gizmo and asked myself where does the tape go?:dunno:

Nope! I'm old school and damn proud of it! I use a mike. A 4 track tape recorder, and me. But I do get to enjoy one thing. It's called a DRIOT......
    "Done Right In One Take"!:thumb:

Wade

6. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Wade, one way to get over the analog/digital divide is with one of the "portastudio" units. They are a computer in a box, but it "thinks" it is a tape deck, has tape transport controls like a multitrack deck, channel inputs, sliders, etc.

The big thing for me is to imagine that inside of my DAWS is a real studio - it just lives in a little box but I'm still using compressors, EQ's, reverbs, delays, and all the other things that used to take up a whole room full of stuff. My wife likes the idea that all those items no longer clutter the house.

[​IMG]

7. Tobacco Worm

I'm sorry guys. I just don't get it. I'm too old to understand this stuff. It confuses me and then frustrates me further. No, I'll stay with what I understand.

I understand circuits. Can go into amps that are destroyed by bafoons that think they know what they're doing and fix all their destruction. Can take one that was melted by God knows what and make it all new again. Same with guitars...Want an ax to do things that defy gravity? Neck's a mess, Frets worn down to the board? Plays like crap? Easy stuff for me...You see, I'm an old school luthier and amp tech. I'm also the same with recording gear. I look at that box in the picture in the previous post and I get intimidated just looking at it. It's outside my comfort zone and mindset of rules of eletronics I understand.

They're many that can take these digital things and do amazing stuff. They're those that can use amps hooked to a computer like a mother ship and work with them. Had a Fender Mustang II for about a week. Sold it to my computer savvy bud across the road. He loved it. I hated it! Went and got me another tube amp with KNOBS that had pots under them! About as digital as I get these days is the Crate RFX30 amp and the Fender Vibro Champ XD. Yes, they have digital stuff in them, but they work like amps that I know and understand, and the Fender's got tubes in the power amp too!

Nope, I appreciate the thoughs, but really, I'm solidly set in my ways. I really don't do digital. I'm an analog man and that's the way I'll stay. My point of this thread was to see if I was the last one standing....Well there's a few more oldtimers still out there based on the responses. Just a few....We're not dead yet!

Wade

8. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I was just trying to point out that there is an easy transition...I had many if not all of the same issues before I bit the bullet and got into digital.

I respect NOT going digital, for sure.

" (the 2488) get intimidated just looking at it. It's outside my comfort zone and mindset of rules of eletronics I understand. "

Most of the knobs and sliders and controls are old-school right off the TEAC/Tascam tape decks, which you would find in your comfort zone. There is only one small part that is is for the digital computer based stuff( the upper right above the round knob), the rest being analog inputs and outputs, etc.

Hey, I just was trying to help. But lots if not almost all of my favorite music was recorded on analog tape machines and mixed old-school style.

And I wish I had your amp repair skills.....and like you I really like the tube Fender amps with DSP, I am a very happy Super Champ XD owner.

9. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

".I had many if not all of the same issues before I bit the bullet and got into digital.":applause:
    I've started to figure it out, now I just need to come up with somethin' worth recording .:laugh2: Biddlin ;>)/

10. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Part of it is, do you understand recording in any form, analog, digital, wax cylinders, etc. If not Pro Tools or Nuendo or whatever won't help.

As for writing, well, a good recording begins with a good basic tracking of a good performance of a good arrangement of a good song. Then a good mix.

There's a saying that I like about home recording:

You can have it cheap, you can have it fast, you can have it good. Pick two.

I try for "cheap and good" so it ain't always fast!

I still use an old Yamaha 4 track cassette deck for some things, like digitizing old cassettes but also for some backwards recording tricks. More importantly, I still think in old-school recording terms - get the way the band actually sounds, not MAKE the sound yourself.

11. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

If going to digital, the best way is to keep it simple! A lot of people will add too many bells & whistles to their recording studio making it a bit overwhelming. These are 'gear-heads' and they have to acquire every single piece of technology out in the market in order to keep up with their friends. There are many products for recording that are computer related and may be very good quality and so on. But it can go over-the-top & easily scare you away from this different kind of format. A little research also helps clarify any misconceptions.;)

12. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

You are so correct - I spent a lot of time researching every bit of gear I bought on the path to digital!

One other point - really learn your old gear before you just move on to new stuff unless you really NEED to upgrade.

Even with all the stuff available I often just use the same minimal processing I would use in the tape days.

On top of it, there are so many options that it can be very overwhelming in digital land. One other aid is to know what you want things to sound like, and get the items that make it easy to produce music that fits your sonic profile.

And magically, at some point, you get over the hump and realize you "get it".

BlackSG91 likes this.
  13. Gar Tint

Gar Tint Member

Little mini disc player/recorders, simple to use and superb recording quality....Here's a piece using "brittle" SG tone...intro simple picking progression then enters solo guitar.... not much low end , a bit trebley...but to me thats what SG's are really about, very 70's, just a valve amp, 2 guitars and a touch of delay on the solo guitar [recorded with mini disc players, me playing both parts] [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WfCWXRPi3I"]Slow Rock by Garry Tumelty Guitar solo over picking progression - YouTube[/ame]

milesdeem likes this.
  14. Dreamscape

Dreamscape Active Member

15. Tobacco Worm

After a bout with the digital recording system my buddy loaded into my computer, I went back to tape. Just too much for me to deal with. Digital stuff is just far too complicated for this oldman. I use tape. I like tape. I understand tape. Can't say any of those three about digital though. :naughty:

milesdeem likes this.
  16. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

The only thing digital REALLY has over tape is that wonderful "undo" button.

I hear, ya, mate, roll that Teac tape deck!

milesdeem likes this.
  17. Matt Rayner

Matt Rayner Member

Have to say..
    My first reaction is go digital.
    But then again, I'm sure you can get a very good deal on ebay for some analogue gear.
    Analogue rocks.
    EDIT:
    If I'm honest I prefer recording analogue.
    There's something about the immediacy of the moment that makes it more urgent and true.

Umm. Do I get voted Nerd of the Week for that one?

Hey. Fekk you all.. The greatest..
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK8-gZVkYsk[/ame]

18. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

Also the ability to loop instruments that you can't actually play. :)

19. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I have a whole symphony of instruments that I can't play!

20. peter taft

peter taft Member

Good comments here. The only thing i own to record guitar tracks etc etc is the lap top and a main PC. I have used many mediums for recording, and helped out in a recording studio many many moons ago. I guess it's down to choice and what you feel happy with. With good Dolby systems, tape is a great medium, the better the tape on that spool the better the recorded sound will be. Digital recording direct to HDD's or high speed cards is certainly quicker for the processing and compiling/mixdowns BUT there's certainly something "comforting" seeing those big reels rotating and a decent pair of rapid reaction swing needle meters. Digital seems very cold and lifeless, analogue is warm and feels like nothing else.... hell... i have even recorded on the audio track of VHS cassettes, if you use these on a really good VHS Cassette Recorder, you get little to no HISS, and PERFECT pitch playback :thumb: