Open coil humbuckers...

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by j0shb3ck3r, Apr 17, 2005.

1. j0shb3ck3r

j0shb3ck3r New Member

Hey, I guess this is something I've never really paid too much attention to, but I noticed it recently with the used SG I bought recently.

But on the Sg's open coil humbuckers, one of the halves has the flat-head screw tops. Whoever had this before me must have playing with them, and made them all straight across, perpendicular to the strings.

What effect does this have on the sound? How should they be aligned?

2. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Gibson commonly sets them that way from the factory.

Personally, I leave them flat. If you raise the pole, that string will be louder, but also brighter.

3. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

They're good for getting the exact string balance you want. I don't think they're taken advantage of enough, myself. You can really make a guitar bite....or can really smooth and scoop it out, just by adjusting the poles. Make the guitar really your taste!

H2H

4. ess

ess Guest

yup, adjusting poles is cool for fine tuning. mess with them till you are happy.

while were on the topic of poles, i got a set of 490s open, on an axe here, recently i noticed that the other poles, the non screws have different dimensions. the neck pups D and G are smaller than the rest. the bridge pup just the D pole.

any of you doods with open coils seen this? and what pups are they?? :D

5. j0shb3ck3r

j0shb3ck3r New Member

Also, my open coils are gold, and they are sort of dirty, tarnished or whatever. how can I clean them off? I want to make them shine!