Opinions on 2020 CS '64 Standard Resissue

jkstraw

Reaction score
I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a 2020 Custom Shop ' 64 Standard Reissue with the Maestro trem.

I've searched the forums and not found too much on these - so I was wondering if that was an indication of an issue (or maybe just the price point!)

There are two I was looking at the vintage Cherry and a NAMM custom "Oilve Drab". Curious to get people's thoughts on these from a spec / playability perspective (and thoughts on the color from a collectable/resale perspective)?

nate33

Reaction score
I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a 2020 Custom Shop ' 64 Standard Reissue with the Maestro trem.

I've searched the forums and not found too much on these - so I was wondering if that was an indication of an issue (or maybe just the price point!)

There are two I was looking at the vintage Cherry and a NAMM custom "Oilve Drab". Curious to get people's thoughts on these from a spec / playability perspective (and thoughts on the color from a collectable/resale perspective)?

I'm kind of a traditionalist when it comes to colors but I LOVE that olive drab. It is odd that there seem to be a bunch of '64s hanging around for sale when everything else seems to be moving quickly. They've got great specs and look killer. I don't see how you could go wrong.

jkstraw

Reaction score
I'm kind of a traditionalist when it comes to colors but I LOVE that olive drab. It is odd that there seem to be a bunch of '64s hanging around for sale when everything else seems to be moving quickly. They've got great specs and look killer. I don't see how you could go wrong.

Thanks for the response - I am kinda with you. The cherry red is just so "SG"! I have a 355 in the Olive Drab and it is gorgeous....maybe too much of a good ting though! Glad to hear the specs are solid, I'm pretty new to SGs so don't have too much knowledge about them - thanks again!

nate33

Reaction score
Thanks for the response - I am kinda with you. The cherry red is just so "SG"! I have a 355 in the Olive Drab and it is gorgeous....maybe too much of a good ting though! Glad to hear the specs are solid, I'm pretty new to SGs so don't have too much knowledge about them - thanks again!

The cherry is very SG. This is one I bought last week. It's got a slightly beefier neck than my USA '61 so it sounds like it's similar to the wide C shape neck of the '64s.
[GALLERY=media, 3694]Gpg9UFYMQOihhkqykpMWZw by nate33 posted Mar 16, 2021 at 5:38 PM[/GALLERY]

pancake81

Reaction score
I think you would be hard pressed to find a nicer model of SG. I have not played one before, only because I am worried I would have to purchase it.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Olive Drab is just one of the many color options that are available. I'd look at all of the options first and just put in an order for whatever you like best, don't worry about what's in stock.

You can see some of the options here:

(SGs are at 3:36)

Pelham Blue, Candy Blue, Frost Blue, Olive Drab, Classic and Polaris White, Inverness Green, Heather Poly, Silver and Gold Mist Poly, Kerry Green, Cardinal Red, Ember Red, Sparkling Burgundy, Purple Metallic, Black, Pink.

And that's just some of them!

You don't see a lot of posts probably because of the price point. You never saw a lot of Historic SGs on this forum, and I've been here for over a decade.

I wouldn't buy any guitar for collectability frankly, except maybe a real limited run like the new Monkey SG. Even then, we'll see if it can maintain such a high price on the used market. Gibson seems to be raising Custom Shop prices because of the used market, so that counteracts any expected returns. Guitars just aren't an investment. Inflation alone will beat you 9 times out of 10.

And with these models, it's just no longer that rare to have a custom finish, because the Made 2 Measure program is making them way more common and now Gibson is pushing them as well, like in the above NAMM video.

Last edited:

jkstraw

Reaction score
Olive Drab is just one of the many color options that are available. I'd look at all of the options first and just put in an order for whatever you like best, don't worry about what's in stock.

<snip>

I wouldn't buy any guitar for collectability frankly, except maybe a real limited run like the new Monkey SG. Even then, we'll see if it can maintain such a high price on the used market. Gibson seems to be raising Custom Shop prices because of the used market, so that counteracts any expected returns. Guitars just aren't an investment. Inflation alone will beat you 9 times out of 10.

And with these models, it's just no longer that rare to have a custom finish, because the Made 2 Measure program is making them way more common and now Gibson is pushing them as well, like in the above NAMM video.

Great response - thank you!! I agree with you (re: the investment) side. I've never sold a guitar, but I do plan on leaving them to my kids, so I do take it in to consideration when laying out any substantial coin. I just want good sound, playability, quality and craftsmanship....and I'm not shy about the "cool looking factor" too. Inspiration comes from everywhere :-)

Thanks again! I hadn't found that video yet!

gypsyseven

Reaction score
Isn’t Nick Perry playing one of these? Sounds killer even though he changed the maestro to a Bigsby...

OldDog

Reaction score
...Guitars just aren't an investment. Inflation alone will beat you 9 times out of 10.

Guitars make perfect functional art. I don't know why, but your eye is drawn to them. Everyone notices there is a guitar in the room. Worn guitars have character because they have a history and you don't even need to know that history to be drawn to it. My Gibsons in cherry. Gibson Cherries(2).JPG

Wild Bill212

Reaction score
You will not go wrong on a new Gibson Custom shop SG, you just won't.
I stepped up to the CUSTOM Shop and bought a 2019 Les Paul CUSTOM VOS, it is exceptional. You are paying for the Ebony Neck, Custom-Bucker P-Up's, Head-Stock Binding...which are labour intensive luxuries, not to mention the Les Dense Premium wood used in the body, the hand-wired electronics etc etc.....

The GIBSON CUSTOM Shop gets the job done, 1st class all the way.

Wild Bill212

Reaction score
Guitars make perfect functional art. I don't know why, but your eye is drawn to them. Everyone notices there is a guitar in the room. Worn guitars have character because they have a history and you don't even need to know that history to be drawn to it. My Gibsons in cherry. View attachment 44281

WOW, what year uis that ES-335 ? It looks exactly like the 2018 ES-335 Traditional I got, the last of the 'MEMPHIS' era 'ES' Guitars.

jkstraw

Reaction score
Well I pulled the trigger on the CS '64 - man those pickups sound awesome! Love the neck profile too!

Officially a member of the SG club! Only a quick post to say thanks - share a few pics (incl. that drab green ES)and then on to a weekend of playing!

IMG_5054.jpg IMG_5055.jpg IMG_5058.jpg IMG_4507.jpg

papagayo

Reaction score

Latest posts