Opinions please on 2014 Gibson SGJ, stock zebra pickups. Build quality, playability, ect.

SG FIRST TIMER

Reaction score
Appears to be in good to very good condition. Asking price seems reasonable. What ya think?

WallaceWinston

Reaction score
Pics? Link? I had an sgj and loved every single thing about it. I want to cry every day for selling it. If it's less than $500 I say buy away.

They are built really solid. The sound is super bright with what I want to call a woody twang, almost like a hollow body to my ears. You will destroy the finish if you don't baby it constantly. I love love jmtdwtgd neck on these things, I found it very comfortable in the hand and easy to play.

It's a no loss, if you buy it and don't like it you should be able to flip it fast.

Last edited:

Cmartin

Reaction score
I had one and it was just ok in my opinion, the pickups were weak and if you were to replace them you're now in used Standard pricing... you can find used Standards at a great price-I'd keep looking

Biddlin

Reaction score
I have a '13 you couldn't pry out of my hands. Super neck. The '14 has the very popular '61 pickups that my sources say sound a lot like '57s.

shreddy bender

Reaction score
I love mine. Great build quality, feel, and the pickups sound like a 60's SG to my ears- they growl and sizzle. Think Glen Buxton's tone.

Mine was bought in the summer of 2015 brand new for under 400 bucks Canadian after taxes and happens to be a one piece body.

They are a great bang for the buck guitar!

danlad

Reaction score
If it is a good price there's nothing to lose. If it's a good un on top of that then what are you waiting for???

Bonzo21

Reaction score
Its my only SG. I love it. Build quality is great. Playability is very good, but mine had a few sharp fret ends. I've also heard that from others. I filed and sanded a small curve to the fretboard and now its as smooth as butter. I believe its a few millimeters thinner than the standard SG, but that may just be the lack of finish tricking my brain. Ultimately, I say: If the price is right, buy it!

PS: I have a 2014 as pictured above with a few aesthetic mods done to it.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Very few general statements about a class type of guitars are valid. Some individual instruments are everything you hope for, and others need some work. I'd look at an SGJ
the way a soldier looks at his rifle. Plain and simple, dependable... gets the job done
without fuss. Might need some attention in order to pass inspection.

I can give you a few true statements, so you know what you are looking at... *grins

>The SGJ was designed and built as an inexpensive way for players of modest means
to buy an actual Gibson guitar. So the finish and the features are not very much like
what you find on SGs costing more than a thousand dollars, or Les Pauls costing more than
three thousand dollars.

>SGJ has a thin satin finish... If you like shiny guitars and are willing to pay $500 more for
a guitar that has the famous Gibson Deep Gloss, you will never be happy with an SGJ.
If you don't need a Glossy look, the J model might be perfect for you. I absolutely love the
Satin finish on my 2012 SG special, and the faded finish on my '07, so I would NEVER consider paying the extra that Gibson charges for a fancier guitar. That's where I'm coming from.

>The 2014 SGJ has Gibson's '61 Zebra pickups. These have been very well received by many players and only a few of the High-Gain crowd have anything negative to say about them. I have read posts by players who were unhappy with their '61 Gibson pickups, but to me those posts were mostly unintelligible, and sounded like they were written by players who didn't know how to use their tone controls... or who simply thought anything with Gibson's name on it had to be inferior. I would recommend these pickups, personally. Because i believe I could get good tones out of them.

>SGJ has no binding, no inlay (except for the "120th" banner at the 12th fret) and once again
...this is the guitar for a player who is not interested in expensive decorations. SGJ is what I would call "the workingman's Gibson" ... it has all the rawk and kerang of more
expensive guitars, without the fancy price tag and the elaborate detailing that some Gibson
owners expect, and like to be proud of.

Most of the other features are the same as you'd find on guitars costing two to three times this price. Oh yeah, no hard case... with SGJ you get a Gig Bag.

>SGJ might be made out of two pieces, three pieces or even four pieces of mahogany.
This means nothing, except some players insist that one piece bodies LOOK better. There is
no difference in tone. My SG faded special is made of two pieces that are matched up really well, the line is hard to see, but a true snob would find it. Some SGJs I've seen have had visibly different pieces glued together, and that feature might be a deal breaker for some players. It might be a non-issue for others.

>So you have to ask yourself what you really want. IMHO the SGJ keeps all of the best features of the SG model, and skips all the bling in order to keep the cost low. If that idea appeals to you (like it does to me) then get one.

>You should expect to get the guitar set up by the best luthier you can afford. There have been snarky posts made about the fret ends sticking out, or the frets not being totally level,
or the nut being cut wrong... An expert setup job should correct any of these flaws, at the same
time that it gives you a guitar that will play beautifully and intonate properly and in general give good service. If I were considering buying an SGJ, I'd look at these issues, to see if the
guitar's frets are okay or if they need work.

If you look at the deal thinking you'll get a good enough price to afford a setup job and a good hardshell case, then you've got the right attitude. If you think you're going to get a $3000 guitar for $500, you'll likely be disappointed. Your call.

Bonzo21

Reaction score
If you look at the deal thinking you'll get a good enough price to afford a setup job and a good hardshell case, then you've got the right attitude. If you think you're going to get a $3000 guitar for $500, you'll likely be disappointed. Your call.

+1

One thing that is not often mentioned about this guitar is that it has stainless steel frets. I've been playing the **** out of it since I got it and the frets are holding up WAY better than my far east guitars (exept the jackson which does have SS)... Just a random quality thing that is nice for a guitar of this price.

WallaceWinston

Reaction score
+1

One thing that is not often mentioned about this guitar is that it has stainless steel frets. I've been playing the **** out of it since I got it and the frets are holding up WAY better than my far east guitars (exept the jackson which does have SS)... Just a random quality thing that is nice for a guitar of this price.
I didn't know that. Cool.

Cmartin

Reaction score
Most of these posts are just validating my point-you're going to buy it and have a real good set up which may include fret leveling, smoothing fret ends a new nut and who knows what else, oh and buy hardshell case too.. in the end you paid more than a good used standard would cost you-and some people like to throw around that it's a great workhorse, or it's just a status thing to want the standard but it's not-The standard is a much higher quality guitar not the cheaper imitation and in the end if you've paid the same amount of money wouldn't you want the real thing?

Last edited:

SGspecial

Reaction score
IMO the 2014 SGJ was one of the best bargains Gibson has made in recent years. I bought three of those in 2014. All were great guitars. Only thing they needed was a hard case.

Build quality is great. The maple neck and 19th fret neck joint make for a very stable neck. 24 frets is a bonus.

I love my Standards but the SGJ's are very giggable guitars for less than half the price.

shreddy bender

Reaction score
I have had no need to change anything on mine except the knobs. I just prefer regular old fashioned speed knobs. Frets are fine, nut is fine, it did need the fingerboard oiled but that was no biggie.
I have absolutely NO complaints about mine. I set the action and intonation myself when I did my first string change and dialed in the pickups to my ear's liking.
Voila! A guitar that feels very similar to my 03 Faded but has a different voice AND 24 frets.

SG FIRST TIMER

Reaction score
The asking price is 450.00 with some kind of hard case but not an SG case. But i have an epiphone sg hard case that now contains my g400, and another non sg hard case that works fine. Gonna try to get the guy to let me look at it tomorrow. I will be back with a report and pics if i buy it. Thanks again for the info. I wasn't real familiar with the SGJ so your impute gives me some areas to watch for. I'd post pics of it but they are so out of focus you cant see anything. Which also makes me cautious. Thanks again. Ok here are the pics, make of them what you will

Attachments

• sgj.jpg
    sgj.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 24
  • sgj2.jpg
    sgj2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 19
  • sgj3.jpg
    sgj3.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 19
  • sgj4.jpg
    sgj4.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 20
  • sgj5.jpg
    sgj5.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 19
  • sgj6.jpg
    sgj6.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

SG FIRST TIMER

Reaction score
Pics? Link? I had an sgj and loved every single thing about it. I want to cry every day for selling it. If it's less than $500 I say buy away.

They are built really solid. The sound is super bright with what I want to call a woody twang, almost like a hollow body to my ears. You will destroy the finish if you don't baby it constantly. I love love jmtdwtgd neck on these things, I found it very comfortable in the hand and easy to play.

It's a no loss, if you buy it and don't like it you should be able to flip it fast.
Here be da pics. They are not very good see above.

WallaceWinston

Reaction score
Ok guys got a meeting set for tomorrow evening. I get to plug it in and everything. So cant ask for more that that.
Buy it dude. If you don't like it I'll trade you a Les paul melody maker. (This guitar is for sale by the way.)
h1f4zp84elkc7aknlec2.jpg

SG FIRST TIMER

Reaction score
Well, i have made a final decision, i did not buy the SGJ. I want a Gibson SG fricken Standard. So no more exploring alternatives. No more trying to convince myself another model will do. No more time, mine and yours, will be spent on any other guitar. My next guitar will be Exactly what i want.....Amen. P.S. Thank you guys for all your help, opinions and advice. Pics will be posted when i find this elusive devil.:squint:

Latest posts