Orange lovers

Discussion in 'General Music' started by marty1776, Jan 8, 2007.

1. marty1776

marty1776 Active Member

2. stoplying

stoplying Member

I'm not a huge blues fan, but that was a good clip.
    Features a great piano player.
    If I had to pick one guitar to play I'd take that Guild Hollow Body. I think it's a Guild?!

3. chuck

chuck Member

i bout myself one of those micro crush amps, its shockingly good and for bedroom practice its plenty loud enough, best £30 i ever spent!

4. MauritsP

MauritsP Member

5. marty1776

marty1776 Active Member

I built an EL84 based replica of a '73 Mk II. You're right, they're rocking amps. When I finish the cab I'll put some photos in the amp section.

6. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

Speaking of Orange Amps, it looks like both Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler are using them here.

7. Loud and Proud

Loud and Proud Member

[quote author=MauritsP link=topic=11932.msg155278#msg155278 date=1168335415]
    Orange rocks. I played one in a shop a while back and it sounded pretty darn good. Another good Orange clip with one of the best (British) guitarists (in my book at least): http://www.youtube.com/watch?search=&mode=related&v=qJofqEU0ilA
    [/quote]

Kossoff !! So underrated.

8. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

9. MauritsP

MauritsP Member

Yeah, Marriott was the man. So small, yet with such a powerfull voice. He doe s belong at the top of English singers.

10. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

Steve Marriott was fantastic.... I saw him live with "Packet of three" shortly before he died.... incredible energy. He gave everything for the performance. Sadly missed.

Talking of sadly missed..... I can't let an "Orange" thread go past without this.... I think that this was my best "sound" ever.... 1970 Les Paul Custom straight into the AD30 head... no FX.... no nothing...

Superb... but - lack of space dictated that some of the larger amps had to go... so...
    [​IMG]

11. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

That is a very sweet rig Brew. I'd like to add an Orange to the arsenal someday. I saw Marriott a few times. He was never less than totally amazing each time. One time he had a full leg cast, and the roadie kept having to run out and catch him as he was falling backwards. He never missed a beat. He was also a tad inebriated. At one point he introduces a song saying, "This is a slow blues number. It goes out to my ex-wife. It's called Take anything you want you low life scum f*ck!ng piece of sh!t c*n!, just leave me some kitty!". The entire show was amazing. He played with a demeaner of someone that just left divorce court. I try to deliver a little bit of my "inner Steve Marriott" everytime I get in front of a microphone. Sadly, those are some shoes I could never fill.

12. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Active Member

Amen to that John.

13. marty1776

marty1776 Active Member

Well, finally Mr. Lurid jumps in on an Orange thread. I thought I'd have to PM you kick in the arse! ;)

I can't believe the usefullness of the "FAC" control. I play a tele and an sg and every setting is useful in its on right. Bridge vs. neck p/u use also produces all kinds of uses. I'm very pleased with this feature as I've always set my tone and left it.

14. Melj

Melj Member

I've had, in my time, two GRO100 pix only heads w/4x12 and an OR80 pix only combo. Oh, and a Matamp RCG100, which was basically a Green Matamp renovation of a 70s GT.

Nothing quite sounds like an Orange of that era (they're different to the comparable Matamp GT of the same era - no drive control for starters) but they can be very variable, and they really need good tubes. A well looked after vintage Orange with a good set of Mullards is a joy to hear / feel, if you can take the SPLs :D

There's nothing like getting your trouser legs flapping with an Orange and 4x12! In the end though they all went as they were simply too loud and getting unreliable...at the time I didn't know of any good techs locally. They also didn't really like being strangled by an attenuator, either...but that's probably because they were pushing out a huge amount of power.

Great sounds though.

15. marty1776

marty1776 Active Member

I wish somebody would've raised his mic up a couple inches on "shaky jake" my back's starting to hurt.

16. Rooney

Rooney Member

Since we're talking about Orange Amps I have a question about them. Are they at all related to Electric Amps USA at all?

17. Melj

Melj Member

Hmm, this is a source of much ire!

In the beginning, there was Matamp. They hooked up with Cliff Cooper - who commissioned the early Orange Matamp range, as used famously by Fleetwood Mac, amongst others. Eventually Orange and Matamp went their separate ways and taht was the birth of the 'Voice of the world' Oranges. Matamp kept cranking out their amps.
    Both co.s ran into difficulties in the 80s. Orange shut up shop and Matamp was essentially bought by associate of Mat Matthias, Jeff Lewis.

Fast forward to the 90s and Jeff was making Green Matamps. Joel Wheeler got ot hear about the amps due to a stoner band, and by late 90s was the US Matamp distributor, lasting for a few years. There was a difference of opinion / falling out between him and the guys at the Matamp factory, the result of which was that ties were severed. That was when Electric Amp was started, with their 'innovation' taglines. Innovatively, their product is basically a clone or (to be nice) a tribute to the original Matamp designs. There is now therefore a lot of internet tribal sniping between the two separate factions of users - Matamp vs. Electric.

Contrary to what some people will tell you, Matamp UK still make custom amps and still produce high power heads - they just rate them conservatively and, given the unreliability of moden tubes, often choose to not run the valves so hard.

Matamp now has US distribution through Motor City Matamp as well as Gspot music in Canada. Check out www.matamp.co.uk for more info.

PM me if you would like more details.

18. marty1776

marty1776 Active Member

Thanks Melj, I didn't know that. O0