Ordered my first SG

Saintjonah

Reaction score
Also my first Gibson! A Standard with p90's in...you guessed it...heritage cherry :naughty:

I have 2 Epiphone Les Pauls currently, and I've been hankerin' for something with P90's for a while now...and this SG just won me over. I ordered it from the music zoo online, w/HSC shipped for $839. I thought that was a pretty solid deal. I've never dealt with this company before...but they're linked from Gibson's website so I figure they must be A-OK. Thoughts? Anything I should know before I open the box?

Honestly I'm just excited as heck to get it and I wanted to come here and give you all a friendly "Hello". Hopefully I'll be coming by more frequently.

Woodroar

Reaction score
I bought this same model (and color) from Musician's Friend for the same price in October and I love it. As you said, an absolutely solid deal.

SGspecial

Reaction score
Good choice. Good deal. Be sure and post pics.

Saintjonah

Reaction score
It's coming on Wednesday. Of course that's my first day back to work after the holiday. The wait is just killing me. I will surely post pics ASAP.

J. Burns

Reaction score
I bought one in Ebony this past Summer. It's now my #1 live guitar. You'll love it.

Stylemaster

Reaction score
I've dealt with Music Zoo and visited them here in the NYC area back in 2007, when I was shopping for a historic Les Paul. They don't get any classier than the Zoo. They are more of a high-end dealor, like Wildwest or Dave's. You can't go wrong with them....or an SG with P-90's! Congratulations! You will be blown away by the difference between the most consistent solid-body electric Gibson makes and those Epis you've been playing.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Welcome to ETSG, and to the band of brothers who are fans of this distinct guitar.
I also congratulate you on making a great choice, and getting a great deal.

we like to see pictures on these boards, as you can tell if you look around. A lot of us play other guitars too, including Epiphones, so you're in good company.

Saintjonah

Reaction score
That's exactly what i was hoping to hear, thanks. I love my epis and all, but i simply can not wait to play this thing. Now...i need a new amp. Looking at the ac15c1 and the egnater tweaker 15w.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Saint Jonah. As was posted in another thread by a member who ordered a guitar thru mail order, Look over the guitar carefully for cracks, flaws etc that could have happened during shipping. Keep packing materials and take pics in the event you need to return it for replacement. Be sure to check out headstock to neck area, neck tenon joint area etc. I think if it ships in a case you stand a better chance of no issues, but be on safe side and contact seller asap to return it asap should the worst occur. And lastly, if you do need to return it, do it quickly, don't wait. Best wishes for an awesome new guitar.

Saintjonah

Reaction score
Got it! Love it! So happy.

It's just about perfect. I can't find any real faults. The finish is superb. The frets are fine. The only little thing I found was the tone knob for the neck pickup is raised a bit. I tried pushing it down to no avail. I can kinda pull up on it too...it sort of clicks up...almost like it wants to be a coil tap pot...but can't quite make it :hmm:

I dunno...it looks and sounds awesome, really, so I'm not too worried. I've only played it through a crappy Marshall practice amp and it sounds god damn sweet. It's got just the bite I was hoping for. I picked up a Tweaker 15 the other day. Have an old Ampeg 4x12 to play that through at the "band's" "rehearsal" space (read: my buddy's basement where we jam and drink beer)...so I'm excited for tomorrow.

Oh...and the finger board is A-OK by me. The baked maple LOOKS just lovely. PLAYS just lovely. I can not complain one lick. I need to oil the board still...should darken up even more. Not that it really needs it.

Anyway, you guys have probably seen enough of these things by now. No pics needed.

Oh fine...pull my arm.

Cell phone pics!

Attachments

• IMAG1885.jpg
    IMAG1885.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMAG1880.jpg
    IMAG1880.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMAG1884.jpg
    IMAG1884.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMAG1887.jpg
    IMAG1887.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG1890.jpg
    IMAG1890.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 32

Col Mustard

Reaction score
great, thanks for posting... some might say all SGs look the same... but we don't think that around here. If you've been playing Les Pauls, the SG with P-90s will be a great addition to your tone.

Let us know what you think and how the sound works into your style. The SG into the Egnater ought to be a great combination.

Saintjonah

Reaction score
Ok, so I AM noticing quite bit of buzzing all over the neck. The action is quite low...but I'm not completely sure what's normal for an SG. I'm not super experienced doing setup. I've adjusted the action on my les pauls to a decent outcome...but I don't know if I want to take any chances with this quite yet.

There is a place near me that will do a full setup for $60. I was thinking about going ahead and getting a bone nut from stewmac and taking it in with me. My question is, which one should I get? There are so many size options, I don't want to get the wrong one.

I'm looking at these: STEWMAC.COM : Unbleached Bone Nuts

Let me know if there's a better road to be going down.

Also, I just installed some schaller's and the end screw is much fatter than the ones that come with the kit. It goes in a holds "OK"...but not good enough. It doesn't tighten up all the way. Any ideas? I use toothpicks and wood glue on my epis...lol(?).

Woodroar

Reaction score
There is a place near me that will do a full setup for $60. I was thinking about going ahead and getting a bone nut from stewmac and taking it in with me. My question is, which one should I get? There are so many size options, I don't want to get the wrong one.

I'm looking at these: STEWMAC.COM : Unbleached Bone Nuts

Let me know if there's a better road to be going down.
If you're going to replace the nut, I'd suggest a GraphTech TUSQ XL nut, it effectively has "built-in" graphite to reduce binding. Every GraphTech product I've used has been top notch. In fact, I've put their lightweight aluminum bridges with StringSaver saddles and tailpieces on every SG I own. I haven't had a need to put a TUSQ XL nut on my SGs, but I have them on some Warmoth guitars I've built and they're worth it.

Saintjonah

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I'll give it a try. I've never replaced the nut on any of my guitars in the past...I just thought it would be a decent and cheap upgrade while getting it set up.

I play it with the Tweaker last night, by the way. Just awesome. The Tweaker may have stolen the spotlight a bit. It's so nice. It sounded amazing through the Ampeg 4x12. I only go down there on Thursdays, so I'll have to wait a week to play through it again. I can't get it out of my mind.

Oh, and I oiled the board...it looks great. I have zero complains about the baked maple. Hell it's the only non-rosewood FB I have and I like the change, personally.

Biddlin

Reaction score
Startin' off right

:wave:Welcome, Saintjonah . The set up is the best money you can spend right now, IMHO:thumb: . Then play the frets off it .:dude:
Biddlin ;>)/

Saintjonah

Reaction score
Thanks, Biddlin. I think that's just what I'll do.

Now...where can I buy some talent?

frankd

Reaction score
Nice stuff saint . i might have to get one of them since I dont have anything
with p90's alot Of my fav old 70's guys used em. I have a tweaker
15 head i use it as my main practice amp cuz of it being non biased
if I burn up tubes oh well i can just stick in new ones .
frank

Heket

Reaction score
Lovely guitar, I kinda wish I'd bought a Classic as my first. Great choice!

As a side note, my Special faded buzzes too. It didn't on the first couple of days but now it does, which the wisdom here pointed to being a neck temperature thing and a simple truss rod adjustment should fix it. I'm getting it set up next week; I hope your set up solves the problem for you :)

Latest posts