Orville SG Info

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by jrsdws1, Dec 25, 2010.

1. jrsdws1

jrsdws1 New Member

Looking at another Ebay item: 190482425948

Serial numbers date it to Japan manufacture 1995 in the FujiGen factory it appears.

Can anybody offer quality info on this versus a newer production Gibson or versus similar era MIJ manufacturers?

2. TNT

TNT Active Member

I would say they are second to Gibson and ahead of an older Epiphone just on reviews I've seen. Haven't tried one though. I'm sure they are much better than other copies as far as attention to detail and authenticity. After all they are a Gibson product.

3. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

4. jrsdws1

jrsdws1 New Member

Thanks for the replies. I felt pretty good about the Orville...nothing but good reviews to be found and it seems the build quality is expected to be better than a current production USA Gibson.

5. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

i got a orville by gibson dating back to 1988.
    comparing it to a gibson i got from 1989, i wouldnt say the orville is better, but it is still very well made.
    the '89 has the slim taper neck, and feel wise the orville being called a SG-62 is pretty similar, but once measured the orville is about 1.4mm thicker at the first fret, while only 0.8mm at the 12th.
    which i guess that would say the orville maintains a smoother taper :p

my orville also strangely had two gibson HB-R pickups, rather than a HB-R and a HB-L.
    perhaps a QC overlook in the factory.

if compared to my 2000 '61 RI, then the orville is again no better.

i cant compare to any newer models tho, as i never really bothered trying any.
    the 'newest' i got is a 2006 Classic, which again is pretty well made.

6. jrsdws1

jrsdws1 New Member

Excellent info...thank you. We're really just looking for a good player guitar...not a collector item.

I think it's only realistic to assume some upgrades for personal taste with either....whether it be pickups, pots, tuners or whatever.

Perhaps just a regular SG Faded would be just as good? One could save some money and then afford to make whatever upgrades he'd like?

7. everdying

if i had a choice between an orville by gibson or a faded SG, i would go orville by gibson.

between a regular orville or faded SG would require some decision making.
    do u want a slim taper neck? do u mind the poly finish on the regular orville?
    both have 1-piece necks, with the orville having a 2-pc body as opposed to the multi-piece on the faded.
    the faded also would arguably have better pickups and hardware over a regular orville.

8. jrsdws1

jrsdws1 New Member

Yes I agree it seems the OBG would be a no brainer.

Our Les Pauls have the 60's slim taper neck so that is preferred.

The poly finish is of question. I assumed the tone wood was probably better by Orville in that era vs today's fadeds....but does the poly make it a mute point?

Pickups are likely to be changed regardless.....

Now what if you throw an SG Standard into the mix? Can you provide the same comparisons?

9. everdying

the closest thing i have to a current standard in terms of construction is my classic.
    so cant really say much cept i prefer a slim taper...i got the classic strictly for the dual p-90s.
    i dont really have a liking towards the 490/498 in the standard.

u may also be interested in what this guy did to this orville, i doubt anyone would do that to their gibson.
    http://everythingsg.com/forum/index.php?topic=19171.0

10. jrsdws1

jrsdws1 New Member

I've read that thread....very interesting ideed!!

Does the Classic have the slim taper neck? We love the P90s and maybe we've overlooked this option.

And I'm with you....absolutely no love for the 490/498 pups here.

11. everdying

the classic has the same neck as the standard, 50s style.
    basically construction is the same apart from the p-90s and dot inlays, and cheaper too.

12. jrsdws1

jrsdws1 New Member

Thanks for all the good info. I bought the Orville!!

13. everdying

cool, you'll definitely get lots of playing time out of it.
    just saw the ebay link, for $735 seems abit on the high side, either that or prices are slowly increasing again.
    i remember them being around $500-600+...anyway still a nice guitar.

14. jrsdws1

jrsdws1 New Member

yeah it's a little on the high side...but they aren't coming up for sale anymore either it doesn't seem. I couldn't see paying $500ish for a faded SG with a neck we didn't like and with pickups that were sure to be replaced. I've read the stock pups in the Orville were pretty good....we'll see.

But yeah I think she should be a player for a good long time...quality construction eases my mind alot....