Other interests?????

eS.G.

Reaction score
Uhm....might shoulda done a search, but thought I would start a thread to post up pics of the other things we all do when we aren't able to be playing our SG's :dude:

So below is the only "hobby" I have been enjoying almost as long as guitars, and a local favorite this time of year, Mardi Gras!
MMM_zpsc9e52a77.jpg

minotaur

Reaction score
I have a '97 Triumph Daytona, as well as other dual purpose, dirt, and mini-bikes I ride. And then there's the 80's car stuff I'm into. The latest project is a Jeep Grand Wagoneer (woody) that I'm working on and cleaning up mechanically and such when able. And then it will be back to the summer season track cars and such . I participate in martial arts (wrestling and Muay Thai) and enjoy reading books, especially those about mountain climbing and sea voyages/adventures. I also enjoy designing houses and related construction work, but that's what I do for a living, so I guess it shouldn't count. Fave winter sport to do is downhill skiing. And I love to travel.

Besides work, raising my kids, and guitar/music - that's what I like to spend my personal time on. And I've always wanted to go to Mardi Gras or Blues Fest down in NO, but have never made it.

(As for pics, ugh. I have to figure out the most streamlined fastest way to do that...I am capable but it's a slow process for me. I will do so when I can.)

eS.G.

Reaction score
Oh MAN JEEP Grand Wagoner Woody's are AWESOME! Have always wanted one of those, with the red/maroon leather interior!

Daytonas a great bike I had 98 Sprint for a time, similar layout. If ya ever make it down this way I will buy ya beer at the "BOOM BOOM" (locals refer to Mardi Gras as the Boom Boom) see ya all ready KNOW the lingo!
:cheers:

shreddy bender

Reaction score
For me it's gold prospecting. I love being out in nature and finding gold is just the bonus! The nickel in the pan is worth more than the gold but the gold looks nicer!

attachment.php

I also enjoy building guitars. I have 2 functioning builds completed and 2 that require finishing. TRANSLATION: I need money to complete them!

Attachments

• new project 069.jpg
    new project 069.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 104
  • new project 008.jpg
    new project 008.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 10
  • new cam 017.jpg
    new cam 017.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 11
  • new cam 087.jpg
    new cam 087.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Picture 063.jpg
    Picture 063.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 11

eS.G.

Reaction score
HEy Shreddy, Don't forget FoosBall as a hobby as well :-)

Maybe the gold prospecting can fund the guitar builds??? OR perhaps the other way round?
Thats some great work and amazing looking instruments. LOVE that pick guard!!! Good On Ya.

shreddy bender

Reaction score
Tanks! The pickguard is made of maple leaves I picked up in autumn and encased in clear casting resin. I also have an inlay on the headstock with a 1/2 gram nugget that I didn't find and some flake gold I did. I can only legally do small scale gold prospecting (pan and a shovel) so the chances of me funding my guitar builds is low and if the guitars sell that money will go to building more guitars! Vicious circle I guess!
When I worked my fiberglassing job full time I played a lot more foose but now I've scaled it back to part time so I'm only at the shop once or twice a week and I don't always get to play as I don't always win the "rock paper scissors" elimination round for teams!

Attachments

• Picture 040.jpg
    Picture 040.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 7
  • Picture 041.jpg
    Picture 041.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

milesdeem

Reaction score
besides currently finishing up a refinish/re-imagining of my Yakima RR Vee copy, I still collect horror and spaghetti-western dvds, and automotive magazines from the '60's and '70's. I do have a fetish for "nostalgia drag racing" and "fuel altereds" a.k.a. AA/FA, especially from the early 1970's:).....I have attended one "nostalgia event" in the past year that featured some old favorites including some AA/FA cars....I will try to attend as many such events as possible in the future:applause:
BTW check the last pic.....photographer (steve reyes?) caught the Nanook car w/all 4 tires off the pavement just after a violent launch/wheelstand.....

Attachments

• 91b4e28cd8718661e8d4587468fb922c.jpg
    91b4e28cd8718661e8d4587468fb922c.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 31555d_8dd41fd22e2c896cc94816ced1e1fb90_jpg_srz_970_1568_85_22_0_50_1_20_0.jpg
    31555d_8dd41fd22e2c896cc94816ced1e1fb90_jpg_srz_970_1568_85_22_0_50_1_20_0.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 5
  • fuel-altered-nanook_29936475.jpg
    fuel-altered-nanook_29936475.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 8

eS.G.

Reaction score
Thats Awesome. My Uncle used to race Amateur events back in the day with a tricked out Vette. Have been part of the "pit crew" at Immokolee, Moroso and Gainseville in Florida and Quaker City in Oh. I must admit my favorite however are the drag bikes. :dude:

happy_tom

Reaction score
My life generally revolves around 2 things: music and old cars/mopeds/anything on wheels.

When my band breaks up or I quit, I always lose interest in music for a few months and get completely obsessed with rebuilding stuff. When it's finished (or I run out of money) I start forming a band again... :) It's a circle, a '5 year plan'...

I'm currently in the middle of fixing up a 1979 opel ascona. Progress is good, though I doubt I'll get enough money together for a good paint job in this season. It's the most expensive part of restoration, as I can do everything else by myself...

Making some new sheet metal (the chassis is laying on it's left side):

rear axle primered:

Front axle before:

front axle finished (not assembled yet):

Steering rack before & after:

And some new stuff which took away all of my G.A.S. money... :( That fender mustang will have to wait,
but I do have other new 'fenders', brakes, gas shocks, etc. :thumb:

This is the thing I'm building: not my car in the picture, but it's exactly the same; color, chrome, spoiler and all...

That, plus I like hiking in the hills and took up road cycling last year... Can't wait 'till it gets warmer again :)

eS.G.

Reaction score
Motorcycle polo and stock car minefield racing,
but it's really difficult to put teams together.
:)

Sort of like the trouble I have finding folks for go cart death races on Wed. evenings .....and Friday Night Knife fights have gotten very low attendance WTF is with people????

Tobacco Worm

Reaction score
Sort of like the trouble I have finding folks for go cart death races on Wed. evenings .....and Friday Night Knife fights have gotten very low attendance WTF is with people????

That sounds like a typical night in the big city when I was policing the streets and dealing with badguys that wanted to either run, resist, or foolish enough to try to shoot it out with me!:naughty: I always loved it when some idiot would pull a knife and I'd draw a .44 S&W and with a smirk say "Seriously? That's all ya got?" :laugh2:

Heket

Reaction score
When I'm not playing (or thinking about) guitars then in the winter you will usually find me sitting in my favourite spot by the radiator reading, writing, sketching, map-making or generally daydreaming. I also like playing some computer games and browsing around on the internet.

In the summer I'll make an effort to go out walking more, plus the radiator is chilly so I can't sit there any more! I'll still do the above things but in a different place, especially in the conservatory where it's warm with sun.

I also have a passion for weather and astronomy and eating tasty food.

I'm not quite as hardcore as you lot, with your boats, bikes, cars etc :D

Tony M

Reaction score
OK.
You like weather?
You're gonna love this.
Last might is snowed over a foot.
Then it went down to 15 degrees and started raining.
(How do raindrops not freeze in 15 degrees?)
So the rain froze solid as soon as it hit the ground
and everything in the world got encased in "glass"
(actually quite lovely)
Now the sun is blazing and it is in the forties.
All this in less than 16 hours.
How's that for weather?

Latest posts