Overpotted Pickups?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by 06SG, Apr 13, 2013.

1. 06SG

06SG Member

R.a.f.

I've even seen some people buy wooden pickup rings, some maple, some rosewood, then they "ebonize" or stain the rosewood or maple with black fingerboard stain.

I can't see wood pickup rings going into actual wood being a bad thing. Some people even go with wood pickguards to replace the plastic.

2. nbeersiii

nbeersiii Well-Known Member

For looks though nothing more.

3. R.A.F.

R.A.F. Active Member

hmm. stained wooden rings. nice, never thought of that.
    After all I have read about tone and stuff here and in other places, I think mostly everything in the guitar affects tone to some degree. But the pickups are always "floating" under the rings, no matter what they are made of. I'd rather like to have them firmly attached to the wood. When I play my SX sg copy (batwing pickguard) my finger touches the neck pickup, which moves quite a lot and hits the pickguard. (more tension on the springs should fix it, though).
    Anyway, wood on wood is always better than plastic on plastic.

4. JohnP

JohnP Member

Please compare the values of the capacitors in the guitars and let us know. The wiring could affect tone more than the PU itself. This is an informative video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZxizsEX0ygs

Acoustic vibrations from the PUs touching the sides of a pickguard or a PU ring is a common thing caused by the floating suspension of the PUs. It could affect the electric tone, but it’s easy to fix and not a big deal. The foam trick is the ideal solution imo.

I’ve never heard “over potted” before. It doesn’t make any sense whatsoever. It’s either properly potted or it’s not. Unpotted or badly potted PUs generate microphonic feedback, which is either unwanted or wanted depending on the sound you’re looking for. In theory, “Half potted” PUs could be a cool feature? but in practice potting means that every space of the PU is completely filled with wax.

5. Robus

Robus Active Member

I'm not an expert but it sounds to me like you're all over the place. You mentioned worrying about a restocking fee, then pretty soon you're talking about wood pickup ring and glued in pick guards. You might want to slow down and think about diagnosing your problem or problems, if there are any, before you set off on a wild goose chase with strange mods that confuse the issue and cost you money. Have you tried adjusting your pickup height? Could it be you've got the wrong pickups for that guitar? If the problem is that it doesn't sound like a Dean...have you considered getting a Dean?

6. OttoParts

OttoParts New Member

Does the SG have 500K volume pots?

7. 61SG

61SG Active Member

When equipped with humbuckers, yes.
    With P90s, not sure but I can check.

8. Angry Tele

Angry Tele Member

ive heard of people un-potting pickups but I dont think its a good idea. Chances you'll just ruin them. Better idea is to replace them.

9. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

Sounds to me like the Super Distortion just isn't the pickup for your SG.

You can split hairs all you want, but you're not going to get two guitars of the same model to sound exactly the same even with the same electronics, much less two totally different guitars.