P-90s Lollar or Fralin?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by doveman, Jul 30, 2007.

1. doveman

doveman Member

OK the Washburn is complete except for the P-90s. I want to pull out the MIK stacks and replace with one of these pup sets. Now I like the way these sound at 7.2k each although they are not balanced causing me to drop the neck pickup and raise the bridge.

My boss dropped a $200 bonus on me today for doing something cool at work ... it's a sign. ;)

So I'm down to two choices:

• [li]Lollar 8k/9k set @ $180[/li]
      [li]Fralin 7.2k/8.4k @ $160[/li]

This is a throw together clip of the bridge pickup. Consider that I want to keep the dirt in the sound that appears in this clip ... but be able to roll it off and get some jazzy stuff. Which one would you get and why? I'm close to pulling the trigger. The truth is ... I bet I'd like either. BKs just seem to expensive @$300.

My Current P-90s

:)

2. EveryMn

EveryMn Active Member

I've been reading around lately and Lollars seem to be the popular choice these days.

3. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

IMO: Fralins hands down

4. doveman

doveman Member

[quote author=brucewayne131 link=topic=14449.msg187008#msg187008 date=1185867948]
    IMO: Fralins hands down
    [/quote]

What do you like about them?

5. gotdabluz

gotdabluz Active Member

no opinion on the P90 of choice for your guitar . . . but I really enjoyed your clippage
    O0

6. Arlabester

Arlabester Active Member

[quote author=gotdabluz link=topic=14449.msg187018#msg187018 date=1185877537]
    no opinion on the P90 of choice for your guitar . . . but I really enjoyed your clippage
    O0
    [/quote]indeed, very nice.

i like fralins.

7. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Active Member

Hi Ken, Well just to be the "Other" voice...... I am very impressed by Lollars. ;) I have a set in Goldie my R04 LP and admit that as far as P90s go..... these are quite incredible. When I first got the guitar I didn't know what to expect, other than Jason Lollar (quite literally) wrote the Book when it comes to Pickup Rewinds etc.
    By now you are more than familiar with what a P90 is capable of producing, but, I think that if it is at all possible, you really do owe it to yourself to try and hear a set of his. The P90s that I have are absolutely beautiful. They are capable of anything from smooth Jazz through to a really Ballsy Classic Rock grind and anywhere in between. They can also do a very mean Country Spit and Cackle!
    They also respond beautifully to Tone Controls. I find that I tend to use them with the Tone Controls being used all the time (rather like a Good Tele).

Using Both Pickups, I tend to have the Tones at around 7 on the Neck and 5 on the Bridge, here I can get a very authentic "Quack" which works beautifully for many things, but is sheer heaven for Slide. Obviously it's a very subjective thing, but I really don't think you'd be disappointed.

Anyway, just my two cents worth. O0

8. doveman

doveman Member

I think this is one of those times where I'm worrrying between doors A & B ... and success is behind both doors. I'm doubting I'll be disappointed either way ... life is good. My thoughts right now from asking at several forums:

The "general concensus" of all inputs (which are quite varied) is that:

The Lollars: May cover more ground and may be capable of doing more. They also may have just a slightly more modern sound for the lack of a better word but everyone likes that really good sound. If I heard anything bad about a Lollar it was maybe a few people thought they were weak. That really doesn't worry me ... a lot of people just need really beefy pickups and don't have an amp that can deal help out there. My Boogie is great for adding beef. Unless you ask for a specific wind ... sounds like 8k/9k is what you get. Some feel that the design changes (like lack of base plate) make this really good sound ... but may be the reason they sound less like the traditional P-90s. Maybe even covering some of the Fender territory.

The Fralins: Maybe more like the original P-90 grind although they get the same "weak" comment occassionally. Again, the weak comments do not worry me.

For me it's coming down to I want that P-90 grind I get when I pull the G & D strings with the slide and it just grinds. It's like no other sound from any of my guitars ... I'm actually getting it with this MIK pickup set that's both pickups at 7.2k ... weaker set but still not balanced. So the 2nd thing is a weaker balanced set might be pretty cool ... a little easier with the Fralins selection. Maybe even the -15%/stock set which would be 6.8k/8k roughly. I'm still worried that I might go too heavy.

Lex: What's your opinion on the old P-90 grind with the Lollars? Anything lost on that front to get that Lollar sound?

9. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Active Member

YES!!!! That's what I suppose I should have said at the outset?
    They Grind beautifully. Now I am known (I suppose?) to favour Lower Output Pickups as I find they let the Guitar's Natural Tones come through? Well to ME that's exactly where the appeal lies with Lollars. They didn't impart anything unnatural. I once owned a guitar that had Hot Seymour D P90s in it and I hated them because they just didn't do what I wanted at all. Too Bells and Whistles maybe?

All I can say is that Strange Brew knew the SD powered Guitar and was as disappointed with the Pickups as I was........ BUT..... I believe that he too would confirm that the Lollars were in a class all of their own. I hope he might chime in and give his verdict too? I recall that when I first took delivery of Goldie, he and I just sat in dumbstruck silence when putting the Lollars through my old Fender Concert 4X10s Clean Channel. When we tried Both Pickups together and started winding the Tone Pots (Guitar) we were rewarded with very possibly the Greatest P90 sound that certainly I have ever heard. Very Tuneful and very emotive, making one just want to keep playing as surprises were around every corner.... and I do mean in a GOOD way. O0

10. doveman

doveman Member

Pretty convincing argument for the Lollars. One more question ... were yours the stock winds or anything special? (I.E. Underwound)

11. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Active Member

Standard "Off The Shelf" (If there be such a thing when talking about Jason Lollar :)) P90s Ken.

12. axmaker

axmaker Member

13. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

Although I own neither, I have heard folks playing both and like the sound of them both. Course if you are looking for the genuine old school P90 tone, I still argue Gibson has that sound nailed with their genuine P90 pups. Not the newer P100s mind you but the P90s. I have them in a little yellow LP doublecut and it has the tasty classic rock tone I crave. I have guitars that cost much more but still play my little doublecut all the time at jams. Hook it up to a nice tube amp and it sounds really authentic.

14. doveman

doveman Member

Lollars ordered. :)

15. stratmad

stratmad Member

A bit irrelevant as I've played neither but I have a set of Lollar P-90s ("stock") on the way. Other than the numerous positive reviews I have read about the Lollars, I was impressed with Jason taking time to answer my questions (however basic they were) BEFORE we finalised the order, to make sure I was comfortable with my purchase and gave me some pointers on how to get the most out of the pick ups when installing them.

Nice guy, great service and I am confident, these will sound fantastic.

16. doveman

doveman Member

He aswered an email question yesterday ... personally. I found that refreshing, as well.

17. doveman

doveman Member

Lollar P-90s came today ... installed ... sound great. Clip later this week. Thanks for all the help ... much appreciated.

:)

18. doveman

doveman Member

I promised to record some clips of these soon post here but ...

Quick update:

The Lollar P-90s came Monday. I put them in ... fit without modification ... although I did have to use the slighly longer Washburn screws. Put a bit of foam under the pickups and used about 3/4 of the springs that came with the Lollars on the screws ... cut it with wire cutters. Worked great.

The sound ... holy crap batman! These are sweet ... the off-the-shelf set. I keep trying to sit down and make clips but I end up jamming to backing tracks until it's late. They growl like crazy (Lex you were right ... no worries) but at the same time when you back them off they are somehow different and more refined than the original pickups. Lots of different sounds in them depending on the settings and pickups selections. I will eventually post ... I hope I can capture the way these play/feel.

I'm running these with 500k (vol) and 250k (tone) pots and settled on .015uf(neck) and .047uf(bridge) caps ... again the caps really made a nice difference. The 250k pots were what I had that fit the hole, so I used them ... they are warm and I can live right in the middle of the tone pot. I would have used 500k pots if they would have fit the holes ... I'm glad for that lucky accident.

Again I will post some clips soon ... :)

19. stratmad

stratmad Member

That's great but it's making me jealous cos i'm travelling for work and my set of Lollars have arrived safely at home and I may have to wait quite a bit longer, until I am off the road for good before I can drop them into my SG Special. I am dying to hear how my stock set really sounds live.

Congrats on a good result with the Lollars.

20. doveman

doveman Member