P90 bridge p/up seems to “float”

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Kriegerfan, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Kriegerfan

Kriegerfan New Member

I have just purchased a 2020 Gibson SG Special in vintage sparkling burgundy. I love the guitar but the bridge p/up concerns me. It is loaded via two adjustable screws and appears spring loaded for adjustment. My worry is that the pickup seems pretty insecure, I can literally move the pickup by hand backwards and forwards from its setting (around 1/4” away from the strings) to a further 3/8” back toward the pickguard without any effort. The springs provide little resistance and if the guitar is played with enthusiasm the pickup can be dislodged from where it should be. The neck pickup is fine and seems far more secure. My question is - Is this normal, are bridge soap bar P90’s intended to “float” or should they feel as robust as any other pickup? Thanks.

2. kongssund

kongssund Member

cerebral gasket and Kriegerfan like this.
  3. Kriegerfan

Kriegerfan New Member

4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Kinmans sound great to my ears.
    I have one at the bridge position on my SG Classic and it roars.

Face-melting hi gain without the 60 cycle hum. Why anyone would tolerate 60 cycle hum in 2020 is beyond my comprehension.

Stock P-90 at neck for cleans and Kinman stacked humbucker under a P-90 cover at the bridge for hi gain use is my favorite pup combo.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  5. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Yep foam is the answer.

It sounds like your pickup is pretty high though. Can we see a photo ?

6. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

That's pretty standard. The bridge pickups on SG standards with the full batwings and humbuckers have the issue too. Foam is always the answer. The routing for the neck and bridge pickups is the same, so the bridge pickup is always going to be further from the body. On a P-90 this means that it's farther up on the screws with longer springs. Stiffer springs can help, as can foam.

As for noiseless pickups, they are missing something. Period. They can be great pickups with a great sound, but they miss something that a true Single Coil P-90 has.

I'm primarily a classical musician (trombone), so yes, I can hear it.

7. cerebral gasket

The only thing missing from noiseless pickups is 60 cycle hum. Period.
    No one said anything about noiseless pickups trying to sound like single coils.

They have their own sound and are a great solution for installing stacked humbuckers in a guitar routed for single coils. No need to hack the guitar up routing the pup cavities for full-sized humbuckers.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  8. DrBGood

Eh Gasket, have you ever tried a dummy coil with a P90. I wonder if it's doable.

Thinking back on this ... dunno where I'd put it :rofl:

cerebral gasket likes this.
  9. Piper68Special

Piper68Special Active Member

The Brian Ray '62 uses one. Check out

7:19

DrBGood likes this.
  10. cerebral gasket

I have never tried a dummy coil before.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    DrBGood likes this.
  11. mememememe

mememememe New Member

Foam is quick and easy and will prolly work for what you're trying to do, but I have been known to replace springs with hard plastic tubular spacers on that particular style of mount.

It's a fidgety process involving math and measurements to figure the approximate length of tube to use, but it's well worth it, I believe. Rock solid.

Just be sure not to tighten too much or you'll strip the wood.

Just make sure it is a non-magnetic material or you could see some oddness in the low end response as some of the field of flux is (I know this word isn't really the best way to state what happens here but WYGD, eh?) 'sucked' under the pickup.

12. DrBGood

Ingenious ... but he says it does sound different with the coil activated, à la P100. Since I don't stack OD, disto and fuzz pedals, I'll embrace my minimal hum.

13. Goldtone

Goldtone Member

Us old guys used strips of popsicle stick to adjust P-90 height. It retains that all too important hard connection with the wood that adds girth to the tone of a P90