P90s to Humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by JimmyJ1979, Oct 14, 2018.

1. JimmyJ1979

JimmyJ1979 New Member

Hey guys

I'm real new here so apologies if this has been posted many times.

I have a 2016 Gibson SG Standard with P90s which I love.

However it just doesnt LOOK right.. I know silly but when sitting side by side with my Les Paul it looks off.

Anyways I'd like to change the batwing pickguard for one set up for HB's and buy some original SG HB's for this.

Question.... Has anyone done this? Do i need to replace pots, switching or anything else to achieve this?

Anyways, here are some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Welcome!

No offense to anyone, but I have always thought that the combination of the SG Classic body config with the SG Standard neck config looks rather unusual on this model. I'm used to seeing P-90's with dots instead of trapezoids as trivial as it may seem.

How it SOUNDS and PLAYS is most important, however if the LOOKS bother you enough, you may or may not be inspired to play it.

I would not recommend trying to install humbuckers in an SG routed for P-90's because the cavity dimensions will be different as well as the pup spacing. Fortunately there is no shortage of SG with either P-90's or humbuckers to choose from.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    lawrev likes this.
  3. JimmyJ1979

JimmyJ1979 New Member

I think you're right. I might just buy an SG Standard with HB's in it to add to the collection.

arcticsg and Biddlin like this.
  4. cerebral gasket

You already have an LP with humbuckers. Maybe an SG with P-90's with the "right" look would be more inspiring to play and a great addition to the tool box. Later on maybe a Strat for that true single coil sound. It's a great thing to have the right tool for the job.

5. JimmyJ1979

JimmyJ1979 New Member

I have the Strat base covered too :)

Maybe ill just keep the SG P90 as it is :)

[​IMG]

arcticsg and cerebral gasket like this.
  6. cerebral gasket

Nice set of tools!

The guitars you have are very iconic and I can understand how the SG Standard with P-90's might not look right to you as most of them have humbuckers. But IMO everyone should have at least one guitar with P-90's. If this one ends up not working out for you, then there are plenty of others to choose from.

Maybe get both an SG Classic with batwing and P-90's and complement it with an SG Standard with small guard and humbuckers.

arcticsg likes this.
  7. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

I wouldn't swap the P-90s to HB but rather buy an other SG with HBs. There are anyway at least 95% of all SG with HBs, only small fraction is with P-90s, P-90 Standars even less.

8. 4wight

4wight Member

I agree with everyone saying don't swap out the pickups - just get an SG with humbuckers instead/as well. What I would say is that I have an SG with 2 P90s and a batwing, and there's a slight loss of definition in the pickups (aesthetically speaking) because the black pickup covers get lost in the black of pickguard. Try swapping out the P90 covers for the yellow plastic variety - gives it a nice stylish look, albeit slightly unconventional - or go for metal covers (not plastic imitating metal). Chrome covered P90s look great (in my opinion) in a batwing and they would match the chrome of the humuckers in the Les Paul.

9. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

10. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Active Member

I just bought my first guitar with a P90, I never considered them before because I didn't really like the look and they are single coil.

So this year the 2019 model Junior with a single P90 came out and I really always wanted one and the price was right so I got one.

Wow! I never knew what I was missing! That P90 is a snarling beast that can roar like a lion or purr like a kitten. No pedals needed, any sound I want is on tap, all I need is in the volume / tone knobs adjustment. Such a sweet beast she is!

I would definitely keep the SG as is and just get another with the humbuckers (do you really need a reason to buy another??)

Just get one with the same color so SWMBO doesn't notice :rofl:

Biddlin likes this.
  11. Biddlin

I had to give up on hiding mine, the missus got suspicious when the SG Special floor lamp never worked......

DaveInSoCal likes this.
  12. 4wight

4wight Member

Just a heads up that the link Biddlin gives is to plastic chrome coloured covers - not real chrome plated metal covers. The metal ones are harder to find and more expensive, but totally worth it. I don't know why but the cream and the black plastic covers look great, but to my eyes the plastic chrome-coloured ones look cheap and fake. But then I am probably a bit of a snob.

13. JESUSG

JESUSG Active Member

I like that SG just the way it is.

14. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

You have quite a few options here. First off, as was said above, to turn it into a regular humbucker guitar, you need a router. Bad decision in my not-so-humble-opinion. So, you want bucker tones, try these...
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acc...f-IMAkwLY1lNFHIC5_nzlR2BjdyiPPc0aAgvBEALw_wcB
    I have these in a Ibanez JS700, and they are absolutely killer. A simple push pull, set for series/parallel can go from the typical bucker growl, to that wonderful mid rangey chime that 90's are known for.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acc...Y0X0oOntijW3vM5-bKanFkBMNQmipeLwaAs47EALw_wcB
    Another choice if you dig mini hums.

15. Biddlin

OP:"

16. Biddlin

Specs.jpg
    One can never have too many!

Susihukkanen likes this.