Parts For The Next....

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by milesdeem, Feb 22, 2016.

1. milesdeem

milesdeem Well-Known Member

Gathering parts for another "lightweight strat-copy" build. This one will be an HH type with another paulownia body. .kevins camera 401.jpg .kevins camera 405.jpg MM404WP-2.jpg
    The neck is an unknown "factory buyout clearance" piece from GFS obtained for $30....and it's just plain SWEET! Not banged-up or filthy.
    The loaded pickguard is a Mighty Mite MM404-WP sporting a 5-ply white pearl 'guard, a pair of "Motherbuckers", full-sized pots, 3-way switch, big adhesive shielding, and TWO ground wires (sale price $54.95 from Blue Star Music).
    I took a long enough break between the last build and now. A 6 lb. Strat-type will be the "harsh reality"

2. lineboat

lineboat Well-Known Member

That should be cool. I still have a fondness for Strats; they're comfy! I finished an HH Strat a couple months back, and used 375k pots on it. I found they help calm some of the harshness, but still let a humbucker breathe and not sound muddy.
    More pics when she's done!

milesdeem likes this.
  3. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

pics along the build please.what is a Paulowinia body a type of wood or brand name ???

milesdeem likes this.
  4. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

That's a wood Johnny.

5. milesdeem

Paulownia (aka Kiri) is a light but tough wood that is commonly used in Japan (and other asian countires) for a variety of musical instruments, and even flower pots. GFS sell's them (strat, tele, p-bass, j-bass bodies) for a reasonable price ($46 and up) in unfinished and pre-finished versions in a variety of classic colors.
    The Dano-Flake (discontinued finish) grey-bodied single HB strat I assembled last year is an example of that. That one is 5-to-5.5 lbs. total weight. I like it because it's very easy on the back. It's also fun to let a friend play it for the first time, and I gauge their reaction when they pick it up :rofl:.
    It is recommended that one use lightweight tuning machines (kluson-type or gotoh-mini type) to avoid any possible neck-heavy condition.
    Traben uses the wood in some of their basses, as well as Dean using it in some of their guitars.
    The tone/resonance is very good from my personal experience. My friend like's his Traben bass quite a lot, but I do notice that Traben uses a very heavy bridge to compensate for balance and playing comfort.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  6. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

ok gotcha,thanks .never heard of it

7. milesdeem

For the sake of color coordination, and just to be different, I painted the back of the neck and the entire headstock with a gloss ivory color.....carefully masking off the beautiful fretboard of course. The raised plastic letters (dollar store), which were painted the same color, give an "embossed" look that creates it's own shadow. I decided to put my (Irish) last name on this one....kinda like my mother writing my name on my school lunch bag LOL. .kevins camera 422.jpg .kevins camera 416.jpg

8. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Never heard of this stuff either...
    Looks nice:
    pb-px-uf.jpg

milesdeem likes this.