Pawn Shop Find

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Norlin SG, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

I was looking for an acoustic for one of my grand daughters and stopped into this pawn shop that was moving inventory with a 30% sale.

On the wall among the usual Chinese/Indonesian offerings was a Seagull R/H S6 Cedar. Got it for $139 with a gig bag and Kyser Capo included. After a truss rod adjust and new strings, the action is purfect.

I sure wish I could play it but being left handed that will never happen. Really nice gituar though.

SG_Island, Sweetums and AngelDeVille like this.
  2. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Active Member

congrats, sounds nice...

however this thread is ominously missing the obligatory pics?

3. Norlin SG

Well, ya. Without pictures it didn't happen. I'll see what I can do. Time to learn how to post pictures.

4. Norlin SG

[​IMG]

Wow, what an ordeal, but there she is..............

Definatly signs of use, but as far as condition, no real damage, all the glue joints are solid and there does not seem to be any warp/bellying issues anywere. Also, the frets have almost zero wear.

I could really kick myself because when I upgraded to my Yairi L/H, I sold my L/H S6. It would have been an awesome alternate for open tuning and/or slide. As an aside, me and my GD could have done the bopsy twin mirror image thing.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    syscokid and Bettyboo like this.
  5. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

cool guitar, and an excellent pawn shop discovery...

6. Norlin SG

Not a $1000 Martin, but it will do everything in spades that a beginer needs. The poor neglected thing was hanging with a bunch of junk and pleading to be saved...........

Godin and Seagull are handmade in Canada and are really some great stuff that most of the public has no clue about.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  7. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

Nice guitar indeed!

Let's hope the public don't find out about them too quickly - we don't want the prices going up! :D

8. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Good job. Nice guitar. Great gift. Perfect guitar for a beginner. My first was such a piece of junk it was basically unplayable, to the point it was no fun to play..... or learn on.

9. SG_Island

SG_Island Well-Known Member

Looks just like my '98 S6 that I found a couple of years ago on the used racks at Sam Ash, for $200. Yep, you got a better deal!

What year is that one?

Great score. I really like mine a lot.

[​IMG]

10. Norlin SG

From what I researched, later than 1993 the first 2 numbers in the S/N is the year of manufacture. So the S6 I have is a 1999.

Don't forget that mine came with a decent gig bag and a Keyser capo. So ya, I would say my deal was pretty smokin hot..............

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  11. Norlin SG

As an aside, probably every S6 ever shipped has neck paint covering the dot fret position markers on the top edge of the fret board.

Be amazed when you gently scrape those markers with a knife point that the markers are not brown, they are actualy aluminum colored.

Damn, I sure miss my lefty S6 Cedar. I sure am in love with the replacement but I feel a loss from selling the S6...........

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  12. SG_Island

SG_Island Well-Known Member

Yeah, you'll never find an S6 for that price again.. I actually did get a great deal on mine at 200, but yours was priced WAY below market value...

13. Norlin SG

Never say never. In the 90's I bought an I think it was a Hiwatt DR-103 100 watt head at a second hand store for $10 (10 dollars).

I got it home and It kinda worked. Andy Marshall said from what I described it probably needed a transformer replaced for about $100.

Being younger and stupid I figured I would never need that much power so I threw it away.

14. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

OMG Norlin, I sort of essentially did the same with my original SUNN solid state combo amp that became inop. I gave to a friend who said he knew a guy could look at it.

He then told me the guy said it really wasn't worth fixing. SO I just never asked my friend to get it back anyway.

We sure can be stupid when we don't know any better.

15. Norlin SG

Thanks for posting. Not quit the same thing. You have to remember that the Hiwatt was an all tube 100 watt head made famous by the likes of the Who and others during the British Invasion.

If I still had it today in working order and good condition it would be worth $2000 to $3000. Throwing it away puts me in good standing for being a candidate of the imbecle of the century award...............

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017