Pearly Gates and 57 Classics

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Rockdog, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Rockdog

Rockdog New Member

Hey folks, I'm a member of TDPRI and was happy to find a similar forum for SGs now that I own one. It's a 2007 Faded, the one in my avatar.

The previous owner had installed the EMG 81/85 set. They're incredible pickups, but too hot for what I play. I want to replace them with PAF-type buckers.

I got a great deal on a demo set of SD Pearly Gates from Sweetwater. The decision I have is whether to put them in the SG, or swap out the 57 Classic/57 Classic+ set in my Epiphone Les Paul with the PGs and put the 57s in the SG. It's double the work, so I'm wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Biddlin likes this.
  2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Can't vouch for the SD but the 57 Classics will sound great in the SG. My only concern would regard ring size compatibility. I know that an imperial ring screw hole patern won't fit the metric guitar. If the center pickup opening is the same, then keep rings where they belong and swatch pups only.

Biddlin and Rockdog like this.
  3. Rockdog

Rockdog New Member

Thanks--luckily not an issue as I will be mounting the pickups to the pickguard.

Biddlin and DrBGood like this.
  4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

DOH !

Biddlin likes this.
  5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

So, I have some experience with this very issue and a couple of totally useless observations. I have two Faded Specials with 490s
    Specs.jpg
    and a G-400 Vintage with 57 classics. I play West Coast style heavy distortion blues and funk a la Santana-Sam Andrew. I use the 57's for a more Doors like tone and similar jazzy psychedelia. When I want to dig into gravel, I use one of the Specs with 490s. I can get nice clean mellow tones from them by playing with the knobs, but when I dime the volume, I want to spit lightning, the 57's don't get there.

Rockdog likes this.
  6. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Bid, do you mean spit lightning as in what a speed metal, doomy freaky monster guitar player would play, or the likes of a Live at Leeds type tone such as Pete Townshend got from his P90 SG and Hiwatts?

7. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

The issue is, going from the actives to the passives. You will need to replace ALL the pots in the guitar. Active EMG's use 25K pots. Gibson's/Epi's use 500K. You will also need to rewire the ground from the bridge onto the pots. (EMG's don't use it.)

8. Rockdog

Rockdog New Member

Done and done! I dropped in one of the new SG Tribute quick-connect assemblies. I ordered adapters with Seymour Duncan wire color codes to try the PGs. I think, on paper at least, they will fit the character of the SG. I've always thought of the Les Paul as the grand piano and the SG as the barroom upright. One is not better than the other; they each have their own pros and cons. I will say, though, that my back strongly prefers the SG!