Peavey Royal 8

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by entropydave, Oct 16, 2007.

1. entropydave

entropydave Member

I picked up a Peavey Royal 8 for 80 quid on Fleabay - it's a 5W Class A valve amp and got a great sound and masses of volume - it's a practice amp but far exceeds the volume level I need at home - got a good range from clean to crunch and very nice tonal controls too - so, anyone out there used one and any thoughts as to good setting &c.?

thanks!

dave

2. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

......... any photos Dave? I have a few older Peavey's and would be interested in seeing yours. :coolsmiley:

3. gotdabluz

gotdabluz Active Member

I picked one up new a few months ago at a local dealer . . . paid about the same price you did ($170 US)
    . . . a nice little amp, I like it better stock than the Epi VJr
    . . . I think it could use a little tweaking, but overall I'm happy with the price/performance ratio

Best settings depend on what you are plugging into it

Generally speaking:
    . . . vintage wound single coils tend to sound better through the high input with the tone at about 10:00
    . . . humbuckers drive harder, and tend to behave better thru the low input with the tone at about 2:00

vary your gain/mv to suit your overall desired ratio of overdrive/volume
    . . . dirt can be found in either channel if desired
    . . . don't forget to use your guitar vol/tone controls - this make a big difference with a class A amp

Its all about experimentation . . . Enjoy it

BTW . . . I'm not overly impressed with the headphone jack . . . it's post power stage, which is nice for getting tone from your power tubes, but needs some type of cab simulation to really sound decent . . . it's too grainy/fizzy otherwise for my tastes

4. entropydave

entropydave Member

Thanks for those titbits of advice! Yeah I will get some pics but I have only just got my PC set up properly since I moved in.
    So, yeah - great amp - I do wish it had a reverb though - didn't realise how much I like a little reverb!

I'll post a piccy when I get decent lighting to take one

5. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Pick up a little Dan Electro reverb pedal or the likes to relive the verb Jones ;D

6. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I tried them at the store. Course I think I have tried every small tube amp I can find at local music stores since I have been on a quest to find the perfect small tube amp. I also want to see pics. Seems like everybody is working on getting small low wattage tube amps to market now. Good days for us guitarists who still love the tube sound but don't need a ton of power.

7. mikeystool

mikeystool Well-Known Member

this little amp is next for me, as ive said over, im real happy with the big brother valveking, so this will be sweet for at home!