Pete Townsend Gibson SG value?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by bootleg, Jan 23, 2009.

1. bootleg

bootleg New Member

Hey Gang,

What would you say is a fair price for a non-limited edition Pete Townsend SG. I think new they went for around 1200. I'm looking for one but the only one I can find is for 1500.....and that seems a bit high for a used guitar. Thoughts...opinions...leads?

Are they really worth the price differnece over the classics?

2. Tricone

Tricone Member

Hey bootleg,

What are the specs on the Pete Townsend SG? According to my VGM 2009 Price Guide, the SG Pete Townsend Signature (Historic Custom Shop) version is priced at $2000-2400. Sounds like the one you are interested in is the non-Custom Shop version, which I can't seem to locate in my price guide.

3. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I like them but don't think they are worth a big premium over the classic unless you get the limited edition ones that comes with the numbered certificate and custom case, etc. People really underestimate the SG classic. You can't go wrong with either one so price would be the factor for me. The fact the classic is being discontinued might mean a real bargain can be had at the moment.

4. Tricone

Tricone Member

BTW, if that is the one with the dual P90s and the wraparound bridge, IMHO, I'd go for a SG Classic, which was discontinued in 2008, but is often found on eBay. The latter has dual P90s plus a compensated bridge, and you can get it for around $900.

5. mikeystool

mikeystool Well-Known Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=18629.msg227599#msg227599 date=1232737418]
    I like them but don't think they are worth a big premium over the classic unless you get the limited edition ones that comes with the numbered certificate and custom case, etc. People really underestimate the SG classic. You can't go wrong with either one so price would be the factor for me. The fact the classic is being discontinued might mean a real bargain can be had at the moment.
    [/quote]its funny, if i never seen the classic at the price its been $899.-$999, these past years, and it just came out into the world, and was priced at $1,400, i would still say its worth it...i wouldnt even think twice..its a great guitar...

6. AxRab

AxRab Member

I prefer the one piece wraparound bridge over the 2 piece, just my opinion but I think the feel and sustain is unmatched, I'd go for the PT myself, its the only new SG that I would consider buying.

7. barbas23

barbas23 Active Member

[quote author=AxRab link=topic=18629.msg227603#msg227603 date=1232739234]
    I prefer the one piece wraparound bridge over the 2 piece, just my opinion but I think the feel and sustain is unmatched, I'd go for the PT myself.
    [/quote]

+1, or the special historic

... and welcome aboard, bootleg :)

8. mikeystool

mikeystool Well-Known Member

does anybody have a link to the TP sg?

9. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG bootleg! :) :) :)

10. bootleg

bootleg New Member

The one I have been spying at is on www.blackcreekguitars.com Its a small store in "upstate" NY. I dunno...maybe I'll keep cruising the bay for a cheaper one.... the owner didn't really want to negotiate. I know I can take a classic and use the difference for upgrades....(tuners, electronics, abr bridge..etc...) I think the PT model might have a fatter neck...which I like. I didn't notice much of a difference in headstock weight with the grovers.... other than the Z non-intonatable tailpiece I didn't see any major differences...

hmmm...

11. Tricone

Tricone Member

[quote author=bootleg link=topic=18629.msg227612#msg227612 date=1232743641]

I know I can take a classic and use the difference for upgrades....(tuners, electronics, abr bridge..etc...) I think the PT model might have a fatter neck...which I like. I didn't notice much of a difference in headstock weight with the grovers.... other than the Z non-intonatable tailpiece I didn't see any major differences...

hmmm...
    [/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking. I just ordered a Classic, thinking that with the money savings (compared to SG Specials that I was looking at), I'd be able to upgrade the pups, electronics, etc., if need be.

12. barbas23

barbas23 Active Member

[quote author=bootleg link=topic=18629.msg227612#msg227612 date=1232743641]

The one I have been spying at is on www.blackcreekguitars.com Its a small store in "upstate" NY. I dunno...maybe I'll keep cruising the bay for a cheaper one.... the owner didn't really want to negotiate. I know I can take a classic and use the difference for upgrades....(tuners, electronics, abr bridge..etc...) I think the PT model might have a fatter neck...which I like. I didn't notice much of a difference in headstock weight with the grovers.... other than the Z non-intonatable tailpiece I didn't see any major differences...

hmmm...
    [/quote]

is it a long neck tenon one?
    the non limited model, i mean

13. Guitar Whiskey

Guitar Whiskey Member

From my experience with SG's (I've had many different models since the 60's) the PT is a pretty sweet model overall. The wraparound has a big advance in tone, sustain, harmonics, you name it. It intonates well and the Grovers are damn nice tuners. It comes with a one piece choice mahogany body and the neck is a medium size profile that is very comfortable. I bought mine in 2003 and it has held up beautifully. To each his own but to me the PT model is priced well below a historic but basically offers the same quality and construction details of the Gibson Custom Shop SG Special that has the small pickguard. I have not made any changes on this guitar; even the pickups are quite good. It plays great with either a 9 or 10 standard guage set. Here's a pic.
    [​IMG]

14. Tricone

Tricone Member

Very nice lookin' guitar, Guitar Whiskey!

15. AS90

AS90 Member

16. barbas23

barbas23 Active Member

great guitar Guitar Whiskey, i wish i could afford the italian one now :Droolin: