PGK SG jr Kit? Weird Body Shape? Precision Guitar Kits

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Clay, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Clay

Clay New Member

I was looking at some amazing builds on the PGK website. Went to the kit order page and saw the same classic curves bad ass body- then I looked at a few other thumbnails and saw this horrendous looking shape that could barely be called an SG.

Can you all follow the link and check out what I mean? Does anyone have any info on this? I've tried contacting them for about a week without a response. That's worrysome too... but they have such good reviews of their neck pockets and quality and everything- why would they show this horrible sg shape? lawsuit concerns?

Some light shed would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

here's the link- look at the different thumbnails

https://precisionguitarkits.com/product/sg-jr

Biddlin likes this.
  2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Well ... they do say it's not the classic SG shape: Our shape, bit more aggressive, a little push towards the future.

I remember reading somewhere that they had to change the shape, because of lawsuit concerns.

syscokid and Biddlin like this.
  3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Yeah, the original kits were copied from a 62,iirc. A classic replica shop in SF had to reshape their bodies for the same reason.

4. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

It's kindof different between manufacturers.

My understanding is that Fender is really only concerned about headstock shape and logo - hence why there are so many strat- and tele-style builds out on the market, even by rival manufacturers. It's even erroneously thought that Fender had a bad relationship with Asian "Copy" makes like Tokai, but nothing could be further from the truth - they contracted them to build the MIJ Squier series.

Gibson, on the other hand, is much more aggressive about maintaining their intellectual property, headstock, body, and all. If you notice, you'll never find an LP, SG, Flying V, Explorer, Firebird, or even a Moderne or RD that's an exact copy of the Gibson design. Even "close" copies like the Agile LPs use a more rounded horn on the cutaway (which look just fine). ESP's Viper series slants the SG design significantly (and personally, I think it looks horrid).

Part of the SG design language that I love so much is it's unusual beveling and just-barely-asymmetrical cutaway design. It would be difficult to change the SG shape significantly enough to avoid copyright infringement and maintain that same design language.

Westone had their own take on it back in the 80's that also incorporated a little start- and tele-design in it. I have the bass model, but here's a photo of a guitar I found through Google. It's a gorgeous shape someone should revisit, IMO.

[​IMG]

SG standard and PermissionToLand like this.
  5. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

That's a big bummer that PGK was forced to stop producing the classic SG lines. But yeah, their guitar kits are excellent quality. A couple years ago, I got one of PGK's SG JR kits. About six months later, they stop offering any SG's. 3 months after that, they came back with the design you see now:
    2017-10-20 20.16.07.jpg
    Looks like an LTD Viper, huh?

FWIW: Here's my thread on my PGK kit build:
    http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/gregs-sg-jr-kit-build.28600/

6. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Couldn't have put it better myself...

I also find there's something interesting in the 'Strat/SG' blend. Back in the late 70's, when an SG was totally out of my price range, I was very tempted by one of the Hagstrom models, to me it really blended the two shapes very beautifully. They recently relaunched the shape, though the switching is very different to the one I remember (and a bit messy looking IMHO):
    [​IMG]
    There's a Pat Smear signature model as well, similar likes but a contoured body and a bit more Gibson-ish in it's details; humbuckers, bridge, stopbar, control layout.

I remember that Westone shape too, very nice!

PermissionToLand likes this.
  7. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

You know what's interesting about all this? I'm fairly certain Gibson never actually trademarked the LP or SG body shapes, only the open book headstock. Every lawsuit they've filed based on a body shape has been settled out of court. I have heard that it would likely not go in their favor if any of those were to actually shake out in the judicial system; they win by bullying everyone else with their immense pocketbook. They could bankrupt just about anybody in legal fees before the case ever even goes to court. Which is a perfect example of how they have created a de-facto oligopoly.

And what really grinds my gears about it is that the Les Paul shape is so thoroughly UNORIGINAL. It's nothing but a basic singlecut shape found on every acoustic under the sun. Can you imagine if some acoustic builder trademarked that shape and everyone else had to build wacky or awkward looking acoustics? It's all insane and quite the microcosm of our economy at large; there are no explicit laws enforcing the oligopoly, but who in the world could ever effectively challenge Gibson when they have the rights to the most classic, attractive proportions for solidbody guitars? And of course, it wasn't Henry J or even a collective effort by Gibson employees to design those shapes, they were designed almost entirely by Ted McCarty.

/rant.

vonserke and SG standard like this.
  8. syscokid

I'll buy that, but...
    The SG shape is very unique to Gibson. And it was a Gibson team of employees, led by Larry Allers that led to the original SG shape. Of course, the creative and talented team was instructed by Ted McCarty to come up with a new design.

SG standard likes this.
  9. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

True, I was referring more to the LP there. The SG is a very original design. But still, trademarks/copyrights were designed to protect an artist's livelihood throughout their own lifetime, not an inanimate legal entity's right to corner part of a market for eternity.

vonserke likes this.
  10. Clay

Clay New Member

that is so lame. man- my dreams are crushed. now i'm gonna have to live with this terrible crap gibson puts out now to have an sg- which really dont even have the curves I want.

i realized another problem with my SG that I just bought. the saddles looked fine setup for 9's (which I had to set the intonation- plek my ass). THen I put some 10's on it and lowered the action a bit (couldnt even really get it low because of fret buzz) and my saddle is all the way back on the G string. I looked at the Stew mac bridge drilling guidelines and measured my guitar. Gibson misdrilled the bridge by about 3/32" not to mention multiple paint application blems and the nut being too high.

so now I'm scared of putting heavier strings on. or even lowering the action anymore. which id have to level some high frets in the upper register to even be able to do.

11. syscokid

Is there the option to flip that saddle, so its intonation point is extended?
    I hope you let Gibson know about this. What year and model SG are you referring to?

12. Clay

Clay New Member

Yeh I could flip the saddles. But I dont want to flip saddles and not have the proper angle down to the tailpiece. F all that on a new guitar.

I'm actually gonna return the guitar on ebay tomorrow most likely, but I really dont want to because I wont be able to get this color unless I spend hundreds more and it looks like I might have to pay return shipping and not get refunded on my shipping- so an answer tonight would be great.

I was planning on putting a bigsby on it- so I was contemplating a roller bridge. I just a gibson les paul traditional with bigsby in which gibson uses a schaller roller bridge as a stock bridge. it looks good to me. and it looks like theres a lot more room for intonation adjustments.

Do you all know of any decent bridges (keep in mind me using a bigsby makes a lot of bridges I would hate look decent enough) that have more intonation range? I gues the fact that I have a nashville already is scary.

13. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Active Member

I so wish PGK would just go for the offset waist, but otherwise SG looking body style the current Vintage VS6-s have, that's a pretty awesome looking guitar, that has all the right bevels and contours, with just enough change so the big G doesn't chomp down on them. Were they to change the current, pretty ugly and unbalanced can opener design to that, I'd buy a kit right away... Such a bummer.
    And why only the SG shape anyway? Their single cut JR hasn't changed, has it?