Pick-up height recommendations please

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Jack Dotson, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson New Member

Hello all. I recently picked up a Robot SG and have been searching for Gibson recommended pick-up height's for this guitar, but have come up empty. I realize this needs to be done by ear and to taste, but I normally play Strat's so I'm just learning my away around this guitar and could use some help getting started.

The PU's are 490R and 498T (will probably be replaced down the road).

Thanks

2. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

First off, what kind of music do you play? If you are into the classic rock/hard rock thing I think the pickup combo you have is pretty great. If you wanna get rid of some of the lower mids then drop the pickup height a bit. Those pickups have a lot of lower mid overtones. It makes them sound really chunky. Stack two nickels on top of the pickup raise the pickup until they hit the strings. For louder harder rock stuff remove one nickel. I find using nickels is a lot easier than finding my precision ruler.

3. mikeystool

mikeystool Well-Known Member

[quote author=Tenafly Viper link=topic=19569.msg237130#msg237130 date=1249228701]
    First off, what kind of music do you play? If you are into the classic rock/hard rock thing I think the pickup combo you have is pretty great. If you wanna get rid of some of the lower mids then drop the pickup height a bit. Those pickups have a lot of lower mid overtones. It makes them sound really chunky. Stack two nickels on top of the pickup raise the pickup until they hit the strings. For louder harder rock stuff remove one nickel. I find using nickels is a lot easier than finding my precision ruler.
    [/quote]so you keep both your pups the same 2 nickel distance? ...maybe im alone, but my neck pup is down a bit from the bridge on all my axes...i know i like my bridge a bit louder...each to their own...

4. HWY2H377

HWY2H377 Member

i also lower my neck pup otherwise it's too bass-y.

basically i set the height as high as it will go without touching the strings while playing then lower it as necessary if feedback is uncontrollable or if sound quality degrades. usually ends up around 3/32 to 1/8".

5. Laney1566

Laney1566 Member

I press down the strings at the last fret and allow 1/8 clearance. I also make sure the pickup angle is parallel to the strings.

6. mikeystool

mikeystool Well-Known Member

[quote author=HWY2H377 link=topic=19569.msg237177#msg237177 date=1249315022]
    i also lower my neck pup otherwise it's too bass-y.
    [/quote]yup...

7. lakehaus

lakehaus New Member

Just like on your Strats, adjust the pups to where they sound the best for your playing style. Gibson's recommendation - whatever it is - is just that.

Off hand, I couldn't even tell you the distance mine are from the bottom of the strings... I know the neck pup is pretty low on my P90 loaded Les Paul cuz I like a rolly, fat tone up there. My SG pups are closer... My Strat pups are set different heights...

Point? Play around with it till it talks to you.