Pick-up leveling

Stark Naked

Reaction score
I've had a couple of SG standards with full bat wing pick guards and wondered if there is a best way to get the pickups to sit parallel to the strings or at least leveled with the pick guard. Any suggestions.

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
I've had a couple of SG standards with full bat wing pick guards and wondered if there is a best way to get the pickups to sit parallel to the strings or at least leveled with the pick guard. Any suggestions.

Packing underneath with foam is a usual way - put more under the side that needs to be lifted.

plankton

Reaction score
I've never felt the need to get the pickups parallel to the strings, but there's definitely a few members on here who have done it successfully, I seem to recall a thread about it at least once. Level with the pickguard is easy, just lower them until you're there.

Stark Naked

Reaction score
When a pickup is low on the bridge side and high on the neck side, you wonder if your getting the full out put. I'll try to put up some pictures.

DrBGood

Reaction score

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Most of my guitars have P-90's, but the one SG with Humbuckers...

I add pickup ring to bridge pickup only.
Foam shim under neck pickup.

full

full

Felixq78

Reaction score
I've had a couple of SG standards with full bat wing pick guards and wondered if there is a best way to get the pickups to sit parallel to the strings or at least leveled with the pick guard. Any suggestions ?
I've just purchased a 2006 SG with the large Bat's Wing pick guard. As you know there aren't any pickup rings which would enable us to adjust the pup angle so we can either purchase a couple of pup rings or . Remove the springs . Cut a couple of blocks of wood to shape bolt them to the body attach the pickups to the wood making sure that the cut is at the right angle to be aligned with the strings. That's my plan anyway.

Felixq78

Reaction score
I've never felt the need to get the pickups parallel to the strings, but there's definitely a few members on here who have done it successfully, I seem to recall a thread about it at least once. Level with the pickguard is easy, just lower them until you're there.
Level with the pick guard is easy on the batswing models it's getting the pups level with the strings that is difficult.

Felixq78

Reaction score
Call me lazy but I just ordered a pair of SG pup rings, it's got to be easier that using blocks of wood and bolting the pups to the body.

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
I added rings, not necessarily to level but to make it look nicer.

Looks are more important than function.

Tracii

Reaction score
Late to the party... ;) But just for the record: I've added pickup rings - worked like a charm.

SG_11.JPG

Foam, not so much. :D It's a bit of a chore to get the pickguard off and on again, and it was only after the fact that I realized I had used too little foam.

Huntroll

Reaction score
This is how I do it -
Grip the pickups leg, where the mounting screw threads through,
with a pair of vise-grips or pliers,
and twist/bend it in the direction of the desired tilt,
(so that just the "foot part" gets bent a little).
Then mount the pickup with a stiffer set of springs, like the ones Epiphone use.
I never put anything under the pickup to force it to be tilted.
IMO that negatively effects the pickup's sound.
Then when mounting the pickup it may be necessary to shape the pickups hole in the pickguard to accommodate the tilt.
(lightly scraping the tilt angle with a razor blade knife on the back side).
I know its a hassle but once its done, its optimal !
As shown in DrBGoods pic !

Last edited:

Latest posts