Pick ups for 70's band

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Nigel, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Nigel

Nigel New Member

I totaly agree about sitting in a guitar shop with the SG and simply comparing it with others but all the shops are shut due to covid.
    I also agree about the ergonomics, of the four obvious generic guitars the SG is the most comfortable for me particularly when standing and that is paramount for gigs and this is why I am willing to invest some resources into making this work for me.

Yes this SG has 22 frets, my comment was based on reading something about the neck pup being placed where the 24th fret harmonic would be if there was 24 frets? Idk, something like that.

So plankton, what have you done about "never finding a neck pup that you like in an SG"?
    I guess I will have to wait until the shops open again and do some comparison s.

Thank you everyone.

cerebral gasket and Go Nigel Go like this.
  2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Since your SG is routed for humbuckers, you could install a humbucker size P-90 at the neck and replace the 498T with a medium output humbucker of your choice. That would give you a lot of versatility.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    plankton and Go Nigel Go like this.
  3. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I did what I mentioned in my last post, one has the neck HB wired in parallel and the other got a HB sized P90. My third SG has actual P90s. ;)

cerebral gasket likes this.
  4. Keystone

Keystone New Member

My Robby Krieger SG has 57 Classics and it can do just about anything. My completely modded SG has the Duncan Vintage Blues set and it cannot be beaten. Rolling down the volume pot cleans it up nicely. But rolling them back up allows the guitar to scream. My go-to amp is an Analog Outfitters Organic 15. OD is just an EH Soulfood. If it needs to get rowdy, there is a JHS Moonshine that handles that. I have another SG Standard but it does NOT get played...it's special.

5. Nigel

Nigel New Member

Bearing in mind my lack of experience with SG's I'm now pondering a magnet swap in the neck pup to try and add some clarity, leave the bridge as is then simply resign myself to swapping to the strat for all things clean. If the swapping is too frequent, which is determined by the running order of the set I guess I could buy a Strat with a humbucker in the bridge. This is becoming more appealing everytime I look at those 70's performer strats with the big headstock but of course, that's a different forum lol. The two guitars would then provide a bit of cover for each other in the event of a string break too.

6. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good plan. I usually carry at least two guitars for reasons similar to yours. It is a good idea to practice all your songs with different instruments even if you have a preferred instrument for each song. I usually could select the preferred instrument, but have had to play a song or two with the backup sometimes and it is good to know how it is going to work out before the day of the show. Knowing ahead of time allowed me to make adjustments for how I was going to play the song going into it and avoid being unpleasantly surprised. It usually boils down to "where there is a will there is a way" when using dissimilar guitars on a given song, and a little preparation goes a long way to avoiding embarrassment.

7. cerebral gasket

Is your existing Strat not already routed for a humbucker at the bridge?

Many of them are from the factory even though they ship with a single coil installed.

8. Nigel

Nigel New Member

I'm not sure how it is wired, it is a USA model 1995 and has the tone control for the bridge which has a detent at 5 on the dial. My understanding is that at 5 it is the equivalent of 10 on a standard strat, when you go between 5 and 10 you are adding mids I believe, I think Clapton had a similar circuit on one of his legendary strats, I forget the name of the circuit. And it is possible that my understanding is inaccurate :smile:

9. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

10. cerebral gasket

1995 USA Strat has swimming pool route (large rectangle) if not mistaken. All you would need to do is drop a humbucker in at the bridge and get a guard with HSS cutouts.

11. Gene Machine

Gene Machine New Member

Personally, I am not a fan of high output pickups. I play similar music to you, and always go to low output/vintage PAF style humbuckers. High output pickups often (mostly) have a lot of midrange, lose high end due to extra pickup windings, etc. and no matter how I adjust the pickup height, if the treble is gone at the pickup due to extra capacitance, it's not coming back. Ends up sounding muddy, wooly. like a blanket over the speaker.

Another place you can lose high end is if the pots are 300K and not 500K. Sometimes Gibson used the 300K pots.

I've had success with BB 2/3, 57 Classics, and a Canadian guy named Jon Moore made me some PAF style with slightly mismatched coils (awesome). But any PAF style HB should do the trick. I did not like 490/498, or Epiphone Alnico Classic Pros (13K bridge 8.5K neck).

But, I'm going for a bright, edge of breakup sound, not too saturated or heavy. If I was playing metal, maybe the other pickups would work better.

That's my $.02

12. plankton

I agree with Gene Machine on almost everything.

One correction though, Epi Alnico Classic Pro pickups are their newer ones, I have them in my G400 Pro, and both are a little over 8k. They are meant to be the same as 57 Classics except that they use A5 magnets. I personally love the bridge pickup, but I find the neck a bit too wooly, I have it wired in parallel and it works much better for me. I tend to prefer neck HB in the 7-7.5 range.

The Alnico Classic and Classic Plus pickups (57CH and HOTCH) are the ones that are 8.5 and 13k respectively. I had this set in an Epi Korina V and try as I might I couldn't make the hot bridge pickup work, likewise the neck was too hot for me. I swapped the neck pickup into the bridge position and put another below 8k one in the neck and it's fantastic.

13. Gene Machine

Gene Machine New Member

You’re spot on, Plankton. I meant Plus not Pro. In fact mine are out of an Epi Korina Explorer LOL. I’m replacing them with PAF style pups handwound up here in Canada.

plankton likes this.
  14. plankton

I don't know why they decided to give them such similar names, it's unnecessarily confusing. :D