Picking with just thumb and forefinger

Banderboy

Reaction score
Is there a name specific for thumb & forefinger picking aside from just "finger picking"? Thanks! :cheers:

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Possibly... A lot depends on the patterns and rhythms used and the style of music. Not all finger picking techniques have pet names, but some do. Finger picking is sort of a catch all term that can be used to describe any style of playing which uses the fingers to pluck the strings, so you can't really go wrong with it. Using one of the "pet names" for a specific method or style is something I approach cautiously, as if you are wrong (or not doing it correctly) there is a chance someone who knows more will call you out on it in public. :D Nothing worse than getting caught up in a semantics battle with a "sharpshooter" when you could be having fun jamming.

I have seen instances where local convention can have a different name for the what is arguably the same technique when used on a specific song or type of music. In those cases I just go with the local jargon at that time, but go back to "finger picking" under different circumstances. Can't really go wrong that way most of the time. I for one am not prone to being overly dogmatic and like to avoid arguments wherever I can. I do like to learn new things though no matter what they are called.

If you have a video or audio clip of the specific example you have in mind, someone might be able to help identify it if it has a more specific name, but otherwise I would just stick with "finger picking". :cheers:

Banderboy

Reaction score
Possibly... A lot depends on the patterns and rhythms used and the style of music. Not all finger picking techniques have pet names, but some do. Finger picking is sort of a catch all term that can be used to describe any style of playing which uses the fingers to pluck the strings, so you can't really go wrong with it. Using one of the "pet names" for a specific method or style is something I approach cautiously, as if you are wrong (or not doing it correctly) there is a chance someone who knows more will call you out on it in public. :D Nothing worse than getting caught up in a semantics battle with a "sharpshooter" when you could be having fun jamming.

I have seen instances where local convention can have a different name for the what is arguably the same technique when used on a specific song or type of music. In those cases I just go with the local jargon at that time, but go back to "finger picking" under different circumstances. Can't really go wrong that way most of the time. I for one am not prone to being overly dogmatic and like to avoid arguments wherever I can. I do like to learn new things though no matter what they are called.

If you have a video or audio clip of the specific example you have in mind, someone might be able to help identify it if it has a more specific name, but otherwise I would just stick with "finger picking". :cheers:

I would like to eventually excrete an example of the...thing I do. I'm working on my magnum opus, "Movement #2 in Brown" :cool::rofl:

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
Finger-picking is a specific method of producing a rhythm without a plectrum. Mark Knopfler is particularly good at it. Jeff Beck, on the other hand, does not use a plectrum (he got pissed off with always losing them on stage), but what he does is not finger-picking. It is simply playing without a plectrum.

Latest posts